Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

215/60-15 winter tires

Besides the speedo being off by about 5 mph, any downsides in running 215/60-15 winter tires? I measured and these are only about an 1.5" taller which should still clear the wheel well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF you are concerned at all with REAL winter condition performance, you want/NEED the narrowest tread width you can possibly fit onto your given wheels.

Look at the 'pizza cutters' used for the Swedish round of the WRC, held (if conditions are 'normal' for that time of year) on snow covered frozen lakes, and packed snow fire roads to get an idea.

The only time I've ever heard that a wider tire even could be of benefit is when there is ONLY a 'black ice', or pure ice condition, (given the proper soft low temp compound, and trillions of micro-sipes, tungsten carbide studs, etc.) and I'm not even certain THAT is correct.

I would not go any wider than stock if you are planning to drive on deep snow (which in RI, you have to be prepared for). Narrower tires will help you cut through the fluff down to the packed stuff whereas wider tires will tend to plow and ride on top and lose traction as a result. Most of my winter driving is on dry/wet asphalt, and I have a 195/55-R15 and it seems just right. Not quite as good traction in the dry/wet, but good in snow. Some who encounter a lot of snow would even go down to a 185 width.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would not go any wider than stock if you are planning to drive on deep snow (which in RI, you have to be prepared for). Narrower tires will help you cut through the fluff down to the packed stuff whereas wider tires will tend to plow and ride on top and lose traction as a result. Most of my winter driving is on dry/wet asphalt, and I have a 195/55-R15 and it seems just right. Not quite as good traction in the dry/wet, but good in snow. Some who encounter a lot of snow would even go down to a 185 width.
^^^THIS!!

As long as your wheels are no wider than a 15x7, I would go with a 185/60-15 winter tire, or at the very most, a 195/55-15, like Joker has. ;)

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
the tires are free but good points are made so I won't do it.

Zissou

I have a 195/60r15 as my "winter" set (they're all seasons). I picked that size over /55 because they were cheap. Plus I like the extra cushion in the winter as potholes are more prevalent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk