Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting the Most out of the Stock Turbo?

Hey guys, I'm trying to go faster... I wanna keep the stock turbo because low-end torque but I want to squeeze as much power out of the stock setup without doing any serious engine modifications.

As soon as I sell my truck I'm going to order the COBB Stage 3 Package just to start it off, get a good tune for the AccessPort, ram air intake, and maybe a cam? What else can help?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A Cam is a waste until you upgrade the Turbo....so no go there....just do the Ap3 with a custom tune.... intake....RMM....coil overs.....then see where you're at....if it's not enough....its turbo upgrade time.....theres plenty coming down the pipeline too....just wait and see the results.🕺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Honestly, I'd probably order the Cobb AP from Stratified, because they add their custom flash tune free of charge. Then I'd get an E30 tune.

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #5
Honestly, I'd probably order the Cobb AP from Stratified, because they add their custom flash tune free of charge. Then I'd get an E30 tune.
I'm not too familiar with the AP, so is it a tune for stock or with bolt-ons? Also there's no ethanol within 50 miles of me :/

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I'm not too familiar with the AP, so is it a tune for stock or with bolt-ons? Also there's no ethanol within 50 miles of me :/
To get "the most" out of a stock turbo you need an E30 tune (or higher). As far as the AP goes, you just tell Stratified what your modifications are, and they send you the tune based on your mods.

to get the most out of your stock turbo> warning smart alect reply> sell it to someone who had a 39 blow up. replace with x37 or 47. save tons of money on bs tunes. wish I did it in that order oh well.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I know of a guy who is selling a c39, ic, manifold, and Turbosmart wg for cheap.

codestp202

E30 + Intercooler and you're good to go.

I had a Stage 2 + tune from DHM. The tune was okay, the car felt faster then Cobb Stage 2 OTS map. The tune from DHM was definitely pushing the limits of the 91 octane, I would see some positive and quite a bit of negative corrections trying to make safe power.

I am am the base tune of an e30 tune from Stratified and holy hell is it a difference. The motor runs so much better, makes more power, turbo spools up quicker. Less knock, better ignition correction, and this is all on the base tune. I'm excited to see what comes of the revisions.

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #14
Thanks for the info all. I'm still firm on keeping the stock turbo. I come from the world of small off-road trucks where everything is slow and nothing has boost, so I'm just trying to take baby steps until I can handle something very fast...and when that time comes I'll buy a different car.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
To piggyback off of the piggybacking... If you have E85 around, an E30 tune (which is a mixture of 91/93) and an intercooler. Everything else is optional.

All you really need to do with a stock turbo car is get a bigger intercooler, an accessport and a good tune (rec getting a dyno tune) and you will be good to go, intake and exhaust don't really add an anything on this car (with the stock turbo) unless you want more noise, if you still want a little more power an if its available near you, you can try getting a ethanol blend tune. I would have to say don't waste your money on a cobb stage kit

A7xogg

Wastegate if you want a little bit more of a powerband, not like a turbo upgrade but def pulls alot stronger

The stock turbo is maxed out with a tune and basic bolt ons, then all depending on fuel. You can squeeze out some "hold that boost better", "make that Launch better" but it's not worth it because the Fiesta will not be fast until you swap the turbo.

I'd say downpipe, intercooler and hybrid turbo + tune. You Keep the torque down low and it gets punchier throughout the rev range. It's basically a stock turbo on steroids lol