Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is that little arrow by the odometer an upshift indicator?

My first thought was that the little arrow is an upshift indicator, but if that's the case, it has to be the most conservative ever. What is that thing?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
It is, I think calibrated for maximum gas mileage, and it does seem kind of ridiculous. I was going uphill in 4th at about 38 mph, thinking of downshifting so I didn't lug the engine, and it's telling me to upshift. Uphill at 38 in 5th, I don't think so.
I pay almost no attention to it, but have noticed that it doesn't come on when you're accelerating hard.

me32

1000 Post Club
Only takes account for flat ground and yes its for mpg.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
yes it's an upshift indicator but it's for maximum economy. it's absolutely idiotic too because i'm not going into 6th at 45mph while cruising in light traffic. i really wish there was a way to disable it.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
yes it's an upshift indicator but it's for maximum economy. it's absolutely idiotic too because i'm not going into 6th at 45mph while cruising in light traffic. i really wish there was a way to disable it.
Yah, to bad we can't disable it with Snyc, a tuner can or you can use a piece of black tape.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
It's funny, in the ST manual it recommends shifting into 4th at 32 mph, 5th at 41, and 6th at 42 for best fuel economy. I would never shift that soon, that would feel like lugging it to me. 5th is the Rodney Dangerfield gear, it only gets 1 mph.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's funny, in the ST manual it recommends shifting into 4th at 32 mph, 5th at 41, and 6th at 42 for best fuel economy. I would never shift that soon, that would feel like lugging it to me. 5th is the Rodney Dangerfield gear, it only gets 1 mph.
Yeah, it seems that the MANDATED CAFE standards are taking precedence over the dangers/negatives of LSPI nowadays. [mad]

Doesn't the manual also say something about MINIMUM engine speeds as well, like "keep engine speeds ABOVE 2250 RPM at all times" or such? [dunno]
At those suggested shift points above, we are well UNDER 2K revs. [:(]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yeah, it seems that the MANDATED CAFE standards are taking precedence over the dangers/negatives of LSPI nowadays. [mad]

Doesn't the manual also say something about MINIMUM engine speeds as well, like "keep engine speeds ABOVE 2250 RPM at all times" or such? [dunno]
I don't recall anything in the manual about minimum rpm's, that would be interesting to know. I avoid low rpm's as a matter of habit from a lifetime of driving manual transmission cars. I hate the idea of lugging an engine, and I hadn't even thought about LSPI. That's a good point, and another good reason to keep the revs up. No matter how I drive this car, it gets about twice the gas mileage of my previous V-8 DD, so I'm certainly not going to drive it to squeeze out maximum mileage, I'm going to enjoy it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No matter how I drive this car, it gets about twice the gas mileage of my previous V-8 DD, so I'm certainly not going to drive it to squeeze out maximum mileage, I'm going to enjoy it.
Same here! [like]

My LS1 Z28 was only a little bit worse on the highway, due to better aero/cd, and that insane .50 overdrive 6th gear in the T56 (even with 4.10s and later 3.73s in the rear axle!).
But yes, in town/on backroads it is almost TWICE the MPG of the f body!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Most folks slip too much and shift too high. Once the engine is warmed up, there's nothing wrong with being in 5th going uphill around 40 MPH at 550 feet above sea level. On flat or decline I'm usually in 6th around 40. Compared to a standard 5 speed, your "extra" gear is below first, not above fifth.

Business6

I'm at 4500ft above sea level and the 1.6 can't do shit outside of boost. My mileage is still, at worst, 20% better than any of my Miatas at their best. Really had to rev the hell out of those in order to move with 15-18% less power at this altitude for NA engines.

Zormecteon

There is no recommened (in the manual) minimum rpm... However,.... ... .... ..... I have, in every gear, very slowly accelerated until the shift light came on, then shifted---so that I could determine the minimum rpm in the next higher gear. ... It turns out to be 1500 rpm, so I take that to mean that the factory considers 1500 to be the speed under which the engine is being lugged. .. ..

YMMV

my 2¢

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There is no recommened (in the manual) minimum rpm... However,.... ... .... ..... I have, in every gear, very slowly accelerated until the shift light came on, then shifted---so that I could determine the minimum rpm in the next higher gear. ... It turns out to be 1500 rpm, so I take that to mean that the factory considers 1500 to be the speed under which the engine is being lugged. .. ..

YMMV

my 2¢
Thank you for that info! [thumb] [:)]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

YMMV

my 2¢
Very clever, that gives me a better feeling about low rpm.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
FYI...Here is a thread where we discussed this a few years ago...

Upshift Arrow

Here is the FiST OE Upshift Table with rpm values selected per gear and requested torque...

Stock Upshift Indicators.jpg

Upshift Indicator Threshold

This table represents the maximum engine speed allowed while in gears 1-5 before the upshift indicator will display on the instrument cluster.

Tuning Tips - Adjusting these values may help increase your EcoMode

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
In town I shift 1-2-4-6 at under 3k. Last two tanks were over 33 mpg in hilly E. TN. No lugging, car and driver are happy. Killer mountain roads are run full tilt.......yesterday a 675 mi interstate trip returned 36.7 mpg at 75-80 mph. One of the great things about this car is the economy in normal driving, I love the Jekyll and Hyde personality my MP-215 ST has.

I always wondered what I was doing wrong because I got crap for mileage until I had a long road trip outside of Kansas. On a long, flat WIND free stretch the little angry rollerskate is efficient.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk