Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Am I crazy for Considering Trading in for a 2017??

OP
B
Thread Starter #81
Well, $22,457 was what they came back with OTD including my trade. I would have had to add $299 for GAP insurance so it would have been like $22,756 total financed. So as much as it kills me since I started looking forward to a brand new car, I have walked away at this point. If I didn't have my negative equity, it would have been just over $20k and that would have been a steal.

Part of me still wants to just eat it and finance $22500 but I just don't think I should lol.

Good luck to those out shopping!

OP
B
Thread Starter #83
Well, I'm going to kind of do that lol. Problem is, I'm digging in to remove my Cobb intercooler and put in my CPE with charge pipes. If I go through with it (I need to so I can pass the Cobb on to the buyer), then I will probably tap out of the 2017 car race because I won't feel like going back in and removing it again. I told the buyer I would have the Cobb out this weekend latest and I don't want to break my word that's why I was pushing for a decision today, so I could total de mod tomorrow lol.

OP
B
Thread Starter #85
Well I can't really sell mine out right at this point, I mean I could try, but no real point. I'll hang onto it and drive it and if they do blowouts end of year maybe try again and my principal should be lower as well so less negative equity

OP
B
Thread Starter #86
Well, guess this would be my final update. The Cowles Ford dealer in Woodbridge kept saying they would get me to $21,500 OTD with my trade, but refused to send me anything in writing or even take a deposit on the vehicle if they could put it in writing. They kept insisting that I just drive up and come in. Well both local dealers said the same thing, "oh we can get you there just come on in" and both times I did they were hundreds or more off from my target price. So rather than waste AT LEAST 7 hours round trip driving (going to that area, traffic can make the drive 8+ hours round trip easily) and then another who knows how long at the dealership hoping they were true to their word and weren't going to try and pull a fast one... I decided to just keep my car.

Another big thing was that I had to remove my Cobb Intercooler and when I had finished taking it out, I hadn't heard back from them so I went ahead and installed my CP-E Intercooler and cold charge pipe as well as a Mishimoto Hot pipe and my Mountune front splitter. So at that point, I decided there was no way I was going to remove all of that again so I have moved on from the 2017 and instead picked up a Boomba shifter, about to grab a Mishimoto catch can, and will finish rehabbing my Bilstein Coilovers so I can throw those in. Also setting up a time to finally get the windows tinted.

Guess I'll wait for word on the new Tune+ turbo or something similar instead. Since I'll be out of warranty in another 4000 miles, no reason to not plan for upgraded turbo :)

I got a 2017 in black (only option the car does not have is a sunroof) for 20k out the door and financed 13 of that, so the deals you can get right now are pretty good

OP
B
Thread Starter #89
I got a 2017 in black (only option the car does not have is a sunroof) for 20k out the door and financed 13 of that, so the deals you can get right now are pretty good
Seeing your location, if I were where you are and not 3.5 hours away, I probably would have a 2017 as well. Just not willing to take a chance on the bait and switch from the dealer in Woodbridge. I was also quoted just under $20k OTD on a 2017 with everything minus Moonroof. So you got what I would consider a great deal and congrats!

Thanks, I felt the same way when the sales manager dropped the price to 20, was the dealer you were looking at Cowles Ford by any chance?

OP
B
Thread Starter #91
Thanks, I felt the same way when the sales manager dropped the price to 20, was the dealer you were looking at Cowles Ford by any chance?
Yea, I had been negotiating for a while with Cowles Ford, but they just wouldn't put anything in writing unless I drove all the way up there. You know first hand how traffic can be so I was very uneasy about devoting an entire day to the trip to find out they increased the price or something crazy in between. I was looking at a Magnetic, Recaro, Nav, and Ebony w/Red calipers. But I have no problems keeping mine lol.

I actually used to work for Cowles Nissan about 2.5 miles down the street [hihi] cowles ford seems to have pretty good service but ill tell you first hand that Cowles Nissan was a joke [rofl]

OP
B
Thread Starter #94
haha, well that's good to know. I wouldn't have gotten it serviced there, but I did sell cars for a bit years ago and I personally have done the bait and switch to get the customer in the door and that was my biggest fear. Any serious dealer would have put a written deal and sent it over, especially when they were valuing my trade $1000 less then the dealers down here.

OP
B
Thread Starter #95
But if you do look at another one Battlefield ford in Manassas was not too bad to deal with
They don't have any ST's on the site and I don't want to deal with a dealer trade option via email, too much of a headache. Thanks though!

At this point, my car already has the rock chips, small imperfections, etc. So when I was also deliberating I was realizing that I would probably stress pretty hard over a new car since it would be my first ever, in terms of rock chips, door dings, etc. At this point, I will continue to mod and maintain and replace the little things that irritate me. When it's paid off and what not, I will worry about repainting the front end and all the little rock chips. I'll just work towards paying it off quicker and hopefully avoiding at least a little bit of the mod bug while I still have a warranty

im in the same boat lol, i made the mistake of buying a black car, i already have 3 rock ships on my hood, seems like the paint on these cars is very thin

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I see the original poster decided not to go through with the deal over the financial aspect of the decision.

But here's another aspect that perhaps someone hasn't really touched upon... shtiff happens. It'll never stay perfect.

Like 3 months and much <6k after buying new, a truck passed me up on the highway and launched a rock at the middle of my windshield. Small starburst was the result. With much, much less than that I was looking at small rock chips down to the primer on the hood.

Who's to say the 2017 wouldn't soon be subject to the same parking lot follies? My prior car, just in the last few years of ownership and having already had it for two decades, suffered three hit and runs parking across from driveways. So even if I have to take a small hike and park wwwaaayyy down the street from my destination, I leave those spots to other people. Also, I've pretty much always parked toward the back of retail lots anyway simply because its less effort and more time efficient; with the added benefit of avoiding more shopping carts, bumper bumpers, and door dingers. That tid-bit of walking, or very brief trot in some cases, doesn't really qualify as "exercise" in my mind. But some like to label that as an additional advantage.

OP
B
Thread Starter #98
That is pretty much why I wasn't willing to bend on my budget. I didn't NEED the car, it would have just been nice to have the car from brand new to treat my way. However, I don't regret passing up on the 2017 at all as I have since installed a plethora of new parts in mine including an x37 and will be getting tuned this week hopefully. So no complaints here!

After 2 years and 34K miles now my car isn't perfect anymore. One hail dent on top, rock chips variously on the front, and a rock chip on the windshield after less than a year of ownership. All that to say, the only door ding I ever got was when my mom (of all people) accidentally hit my door on a carport pole. I got a PDR guy to fix it. Haven't gotten a door ding since. I attribute that to nice neighbors next to me at my apartment (assigned carport parking) and parking further away in public parking lots. The only way to avoid damage to it best you can is to leave it in a climate controlled bunker somewhere that doesn't have many natural disasters. But that's not any fun. There's a certain amount of damage you can control (Clear bra, how you wash it, where you park it), but some will happen no matter what.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
After 2 years and 34K miles now my car isn't perfect anymore. One hail dent on top, rock chips variously on the front, and a rock chip on the windshield after less than a year of ownership. All that to say, the only door ding I ever got was when my mom (of all people) accidentally hit my door on a carport pole. I got a PDR guy to fix it. Haven't gotten a door ding since. I attribute that to nice neighbors next to me at my apartment (assigned carport parking) and parking further away in public parking lots. The only way to avoid damage to it best you can is to leave it in a climate controlled bunker somewhere that doesn't have many natural disasters. But that's not any fun. There's a certain amount of damage you can control (Clear bra, how you wash it, where you park it), but some will happen no matter what.
AGREED! [thumb]

I try to take care of it, but I am NOT going to store it away for the winter, nor will I treat it like some rare multi-million buck hypercar (although they are more common than FiSTs in my area- LOL). ;)
You can try to be as insanely maniacal about the aesthetic upkeep as (im)possible as that may be, but yes, unless you just do not drive the thing at all, it will NEVER stay showroom perfect. [:(]

Last edited: