Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

recommendations for daily use wheel/tire combo?

I'm a new ST owner and while I love the car, quite frankly I'm not a car guy--my thing is motorcycles. What should I be looking for in a more practical wheel/tire combo for a daily driver. My car gets used by others in the family, and those 17s and skinny tires are headed for damage. Should I get some 16s, 15s, or what? I would also like to get something more resistant to curb rash.

I'm a new ST owner and while I love the car, quite frankly I'm not a car guy--my thing is motorcycles. What should I be looking for in a more practical wheel/tire combo for a daily driver. My car gets used by others in the family, and those 17s and skinny tires are headed for damage. Should I get some 16s, 15s, or what? I would also like to get something more resistant to curb rash.
Are you looking for a dedicated summer and winter setup or an all season setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had the same thought, plus I've never been a fan of the factory wheel. I just ordered a set of 16x7.5 Sport Edition SE-17s from Tire Rack, they are on a closeout of $89/ea and I live close enough to a distribution center that I am picking them up today. I've never felt the real need for a winter tire, even though I'm in Indiana they I never really have to get off of the main roads when it snows, so I went with Falken Ziex ZE950 A/S in 205/45r16. They are 65k tires. I drive 25k plus year. I also plan on getting a dedicated summer set of rims next year.

Being from Atlanta - I'd assume you wouldn't encounter snow all that often. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get a set of 15 inch rims and wrap them with some sort of high-performance all season like a Michelin AS3 or comparable (the AS3's don't come in 15's though). The 15's will give you the most room to be able to fit the biggest side wall you can while also improving the ride quality.

OP
R
Thread Starter #5
Yes, I'm looking for all season, but snow is not really an issue here.

My advice would be towards a set of 16's. More tire options (205/50-16 is a common size and close to the O.D. of our original 17's) and cheaper as well.

a good set of 16x6.5's or 7's can be had for cheap, or you can really be budget minded and pick up a set of older focus wheels or contour/cougar wheels in 16's.

I ran 15x7 wheels with 205/50 tires and the ride was smoother, got rid of the eek feeling when hitting a pothole, and it helped alot to prevent curbing while parallel parking.

OP
R
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for all the options guys. I'll see what tire rack can set me up with, and I also live very close to an area in Atlanta where there are a ton of wheel and tire shops.

Waterfan

Also check "For Sale" forum. Periodically there are good deals on used wheels and tires.