Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

X47 spooling/psi/ported manifold info thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey X47 users I'm looking to compile some data from you on what your turbo is doing in terms of spool and psi levels. Note this only applies to the basic X47 (not + or ++ or R or whatever they are called), so that I can compare apples to apples. My reason for wanting this data is that I spent $200 on a ported manifold from SourSkittle and installed it along with my turbo recently. My tuner told me that my logs look about the same as every other X47 he's tuned which are a bunch. So I believe the $200 was spent in vain as I was led to believe (reading the SS ported manny thread) that it would make the turbo spool quicker. Of course that may be the case in whatever turbo SS tested it on, I don't think he ever tried it with the X47 though it would seem to apply across the board...in any case, benefit of the doubt there.

I did search the X47 thread but there isn't much real info as to what I'm looking for. Also I realize the X47 is old news but hey it's new to me so this is all very interesting.

So, on the X47 according to PumaSpeed the manufacturer...
X47 295-300 whp
The X47 as most USA customers are using isnt rated at over 300whp, we religiously see 295 whp.
Boost level are perfect at 1.75 (25.4psi) lowering to 1.65 or 1.7 bar at 295 whp

My tuner has my tune at this exact spot so I am happy about that. Holds a bit over 25psi for a good while then tapers to 24psi at redline. I'm assuming without e fuel or meth we are at the same place.

So my question for you X47 owners is, can you post when your turbo hits these benchmarks? (you'll have to round up or down)

1 - what rpms you hit 10psi

2 - what rpms you hit 20psi

3 - what rpms you hit 25psi

4 - what rpms you taper to 24psi (to redline)

5 - what fuel you are on to accomplish this

If I have quicker spool than others, the ported manifold was worth it. If not, I wasted my money, maybe, unless there are other benefits I'm not aware of....

OK me first, from a recent datalog:

1 - 2800rpms at 10.44psi
2 - 3100rpms at 19.98psi
3 - 3400rpms at 25psi
4 - 5900rpms at 24 psi, steady to redline which is 6500
5 - 93 octane pump gas

[thumb]

Thanks in advance!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Suggestion:

A much better benchmark that we've used in the past is to determine spool rates is to measure the time it takes to go from full throttle (100% APP) to each of the boost target values...In the past we used 20psi as a target value to compare results...

This is because it's not reasonable to expect that everyone is going to start their pulls at the same time and hit full throttle RPM at the same time...Looking at "time duration" from Initial APP peak (WOT) to say 20 psi you 'll find it to be a more consistent metric to make comparative spool results....

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Oh and just for fun, I dug up a good log from my stocker (bolt ons/custom tune)

OK me first, from a recent datalog:

1 - 2700rpms at 10psi
2 - 2900rpms at 20psi
3 - 3100rpms at 25psi
4 - 4300rpms at 24 psi, dropped off at 4700 to a deep valley of nothingness to redline which is 6500
5 - 93 octane pump gas

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Suggestion:

A much better benchmark that we've used in the past is to determine spool rates is to measure the time it takes to go from full throttle (100% APP) to each of the boost target values...In the past we used 20psi as a target value to compare results...

This is because it's not reasonable to expect that everyone is going to start their pulls at the same time and hit full throttle RPM at the same time...Looking at "time duration" from Initial APP peak (WOT) to say 20 psi you 'll find it to be a more consistent metric to make comparative spool results.... ..
Good point, I never thought of that. I'm new to reading logs so this is helpful thank you.

Not sure how relevant elevation is with these benchmarks, but I would imagine thinner air would spool things slower.
So at 3300ft:

1 - 10 psi @ 2157 PSI
2 - 20 psi @ 2305 PSI
3 - 25 psi @ 3256 RPM - should mention that this is not my peak, i continue to climb to 28 psi
4 - 24 psi - never.....lowest psi is 25.2
5 - 94 octane

edit: formatting

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Not sure how relevant elevation is with these benchmarks, but I would imagine thinner air would spool things slower.
So at 3300ft:

1 - 10 psi @ 2157 PSI
2 - 20 psi @ 2305 PSI
3 - 25 psi @ 3256 RPM - should mention that this is not my peak, i continue to climb to 28 psi
4 - 24 psi - never.....lowest psi is 25.2
5 - 94 octane

edit: formatting
Thanks for chiming in though my method is flawed according to Boostbumps and his explanation makes sense.

Your psi peak is a good bit beyond the puma speed recommendation I quoted but I realize that 28 may be very brief...do you have the base x47 and if so why the higher boost? Sometimes mine peaks in the 26s but it steadies around 25 for a long time. Where does yours hold at?

Yah i think it depends on where you start your pull so the numbers don't tell the full story. Base x47, I hold mid to high 27 psi fairly solid across the board. I emailed Alex asking about this because I do realize that Puma has stated that the turbo wasn't built to run at that pressure. If there are any other benchmarks you want I'm happy to provide them.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Yah i think it depends on where you start your pull so the numbers don't tell the full story. Base x47, I hold mid to high 27 psi fairly solid across the board. I emailed Alex asking about this because I do realize that Puma has stated that the turbo wasn't built to run at that pressure. If there are any other benchmarks you want I'm happy to provide them.
I really appreciate the data. This is off my topic but I'm curious, what did Alex say about the higher than recommended boost?

You have many variable factors that affect spool from my testing and its important to bear this in mind, your chosen software also has a big bearing on what RPM certain boost is achieved at.

- Boost pipe diameter (large, fractionally slower spool/response)
- Decat or Catted
- Induction
- Actuator spring and pre-load
- Software targets

Using Maxd software on my own car, I will see 21-22psi @ 2500rpm, it will then hold this till 3500rpm where boost will then rise to 24psi, by 4200rpm I'm hitting a peak of 26psi and from there boost will level out and hold 25 psi to 7300rpm.

Logs done from 1500rpm, WOT.

I would say its a case of what your set up will allow, not what the turbo is capable of.

We are using ported stock exhaust manifolds on most, this doesnt seem to affect spool in anyway but measured EGT does drop 15-20c. This is always a good thing. Turbosmart Actuators with 11psi spring set to correct pre-load and no more. 7psi is a bit on the soft side but could be used if you wanted a softer power delivery.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
You have many variable factors that affect spool from my testing and its important to bear this in mind, your chosen software also has a big bearing on what RPM certain boost is achieved at.

- Boost pipe diameter (large, fractionally slower spool/response)
- Decat or Catted
- Induction
- Actuator spring and pre-load
- Software targets

Using Maxd software on my own car, I will see 21-22psi @ 2500rpm, it will then hold this till 3500rpm where boost will then rise to 24psi, by 4200rpm I'm hitting a peak of 26psi and from there boost will level out and hold 25 psi to 7300rpm.

Logs done from 1500rpm, WOT.

I would say its a case of what your set up will allow, not what the turbo is capable of.

We are using ported stock exhaust manifolds on most, this doesnt seem to affect spool in anyway but measured EGT does drop 15-20c. This is always a good thing. Turbosmart Actuators with 11psi spring set to correct pre-load and no more. 7psi is a bit on the soft side but could be used if you wanted a softer power delivery.
Thank you.

Suggestion:

This is because it's not reasonable to expect that everyone is going to start their pulls at the same time and hit full throttle RPM at the same time...Looking at "time duration" from Initial APP peak (WOT) to say 20 psi you 'll find it to be a more consistent metric to make comparative spool results....
Please close this thread, I don't want to spread misinformation and I've realized after doing more research that my understanding of using datalogs to measure this spool in this case is flawed. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.