Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST versus BRZ: Which is better overall for street and track?

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the board but have been lurking for the past 2 years. I have owned my 2015 FiST for 2 years now and have been feeling the itch for something new. I absolutely love my FiST with maybe the exception of the rough ride. It's an absolute blast and fun on back roads. In fact, I have been buying parts (IC, DP, RMM, lightweight wheels) over the past year, but yet to be installed. However, I did install an AP3 which added a nice little bump.

The reason I have not installed the various parts is because I keep thinking about a Subaru BRZ. I've never driven one but I do prefer rwd and it seems to be a fun sporty car from the reviews. I also prefer the looks too, but I like the practicality of the FiST. I do plan to attend an HPDE at Sears Point 3 times a year, so that is also on my mind.

Has anyone here owned a BRz or frs before getting their FiST? Or maybe have a decent amount experience with them to offer some advice? Finally, all out speed is not a big deal to me. I just want a versatile sporty car that I can commute daily and affordable HPDE car when I get the urge.

Thanks!

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I test drove both but bought a 2015 FiST. To each his or her own but I wasn't impressed after my quick test drive in the FR-S with the way the car put down the power. Underwhelmed would be my first choice of word. It may handle like a dream but I'm very happy with my choice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Z
Thread Starter #5
I test drove both but bought a 2015 FiST. To each his or her own but I wasn't impressed after my quick test drive in the FR-S with the way the car put down the power. Underwhelmed would be my first choice of word. It may handle like a dream but I'm very happy with my choice.

I expect the BRz to handle better, but I would really miss the strong midrange torque of the FiST. The BRz looks a lot better but is not as practical. Reliability? Hence my dilemma.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Drive both and decide. A few years back in Motor Trend magazines Best Performance or Handling car test the FiST finished like 6th against some pretty heady competitors. As in Porsche 911, Chevrolet Corvette, Nissan GT-R. The FiST is worthy. Ask Matt Farrah what he thinks. He likes his FiST better than his FoRS.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I raised this same question on another car forum when deciding between the two. You can see which one I ended up with. A knowledgeable car buddy (who's happy with a lowered, stiff NSX) on that forum said-
I owned a BRZ with the intent of using it as my primary DD. I sold it because the rear suspension comfort is terrible, barely acceptable in stock state. There is so little travel in the rear dampers that you really notice it on anything but smooth roads.

On the FiST, which he'd driven but not owned, he said-
The suspension was really quite nice. Compliant but also relatively flat but not too flat.

I noticed one concern with the FiST you had was with the ride being a bit rough. His comments indicate the BRZ is worse. In general, I think our car is a much better DD for many reasons, but can't speak to track use.

codestp202

I think the BRZ is just too slow. And making more power especially CARB legal power is a pain. Making legal power is super easy on the fist with tune and bolt on. Just unflash the tune before you smog it. With an e30 tune the FIST Is very quick. I've destroyed plenty of FRS/BRZs on track. The fiesta is a great track car once the cooling is taken care of. Remove the rear seats and flooring for track days and you cut over 100 lbs off. Plus I can carry a separate set of wheels/tires, all my tools, chair, cooler, and popup canopy to the track. Try doing that in a gt86. The fiesta will keep up with Miatas in the corners and quicker cars in the straights. Just make sure you have a good seat! The base seats suck on track so get the recaros or go for a fixed back like I did.

Has anyone here owned a BRz or frs before getting their FiST? Or maybe have a decent amount experience with them to offer some advice? Finally, all out speed is not a big deal to me. I just want a versatile sporty car that I can commute daily and affordable HPDE car when I get the urge.

Thanks!
I had a 10-series FRS for a couple years. I've owned a lot of cars (I'm old). Had an S2000 at the same time as the FRS. I've had my 16 FiST for about a year now. If your last sentence above is your primary focus, then the FiST is the better choice. It is a better commuter, everyday practicality and usefulness, and can have a lot of fun on the track.

The FRS absolutely is the better sports car, because, well, it IS a sports car. The FiST is a FWD hot hatch. The FRS handles better, more neutral and natural due to RWD and excellent chassis engineering. Both cars ride rough but neither are what I would call too rough. FRS would feel slow coming from a turbo car, but really it isn't that slow. If top of the list was track use, I'd go with the FRS/BRZ. If top of the list is fun sporty daily driver/commuter then the FiST wins easily. There is very little storage space in the FRS - very small trunk and little interior room.

I was really looking at the BRZ before I got my Fiesta, I really like the look and I love RWD. After test driving one I realized I would need to add a turbo/supercharger just to not be pissed off driving it as my daily. Still I almost got one, but was on the fence on if I could put up with having 0 power until I had the money to supercharge it. Then I drove the fiesta, and oh man was it fun!

On a twisty road or track i am sure the BRZ is super fun to carry speed, but in traffic it was WAY to slow. During my two short test drives in the car, my foot was to the floor everywhere, I didn't even realize it until went to accelerate quickly and realized i was already going as fast as the car could.

If you wanted a pure track car / weekend car the brz is great! If you want something to drive as a daily and take to the track on occasion or drive in the canons on the weekend keep the fiesta. The fiesta is more practical and more fun to drive unless you are going to dump ~10k or more into the brz in speed parts IMHO.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback guys! I may have to wipe the dust off all those parts in the garage.

I've owned and tracked both the FRS and FiST... Both are extremely fun and can both be very very fast for little money if i didn't need 4 doors I'd still be tracking my FRS instead of the FiST, aftermarket is WAY better on FRS and they can be built faster than a FiST. I've creamed lots of FRS/BRZ in my FiST but its more about driver skill and tires then anything else, i've smoked 700hp GTRs and Ferraris, all kinds of expensive cars and at the end of the day its 80% driver, 19% tire, 1% car

OP
Z
Thread Starter #13
I've owned and tracked both the FRS and FiST... Both are extremely fun and can both be very very fast for little money if i didn't need 4 doors I'd still be tracking my FRS instead of the FiST, aftermarket is WAY better on FRS and they can be built faster than a FiST. I've creamed lots of FRS/BRZ in my FiST but its more about driver skill and tires then anything else, i've smoked 700hp GTRs and Ferraris, all kinds of expensive cars and at the end of the day its 80% driver, 19% tire, 1% car
I don't need 4 doors but it sure is more practical. As long as there is a backseat I'm okay, but is on!y used maybe 10% of the time in my FiST currently.

Do you think the FiST is a lot more practical than the overall track benefits your FRS offered? Do you also prefer it on the street too?

I preferred the FRS, I think it looks better, drives nicer, rwd>fwd. I would switch back but if I sell my FiST at this point with 10k+ in mods I'll be losing out quite a bit and I want a dedicated track toy like the exocet not another street car/weekend warrior

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Install your RMM, intercooler, downpipe, and get a E30 tune. Then go test drive a BRZ, and tell us what you think.

I don't need 4 doors but it sure is more practical. As long as there is a backseat I'm okay, but is on!y used maybe 10% of the time in my FiST currently.

Do you think the FiST is a lot more practical than the overall track benefits your FRS offered? Do you also prefer it on the street too?
Please use quotation marks around "back seat" when referring to an 86 as it's mainly for show. [wiggle]

Others have said what I was going to say so I won't say it.

Can't go wrong with either car.

codestp202

I have my backseats fully pulled unless I need to use them which is like once or twice a year. So I just have the back floor in. I also have the spare removed with just a patch kit. I have a dog so its great to have like a mini suv type area in the back. And now the car is in the low 2600 lb range in this trim making it seriously quick. The practicality is pretty unmatched.

I reallyy like the FRS/BRZ as the look great and handle well. But if you need something that can do street and track really well, the FiST comes in first.

I just dealt with the same choice. As noted many times above, the FRS/BRZ/86 certainly looks better, while the FiST is certainly more practical. As just a "regular guy" driver (I race motorcycles, not cars, and know next to nothing about car racing, autocross, etc.), the FiST was the better driver. It just felt quicker (mid range turbo surge I guess???), and the steering and braking felt sharper to me. But keep in mind, I am not a car guy.

What ultimately made the deal for me was price. While the stickers were similar, it turned out I could get the Ford for THOUSANDS less, because the dealers were far more willing to deal.'''