Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST versus BRZ: Which is better overall for street and track?

I have a 16 Fist and am leaning towards a BRZ come spring.

I find that the cheap interior (don't like the placement of the little nav screen in the stack), the interior design generally, the semi-unpleasant Recaros and the open-diff FWD hatch are starting to grate on me, while a BRZ - while anemic, is a classic sports coupe with LSD/RWD. I was really hoping the next FiST was coming here - if it included a LSD, i would have gotten it. But it's not, and the FoST is not competitive IMO.

I used to have a Miata, so small and light cars are something i prefer. At least the BRZ can be made to sound nice and you can eliminate the torque dip that makes it annoying (per reviewers). The post '17 models have been revised nicely and they ride substantially better than pre-17s (per reviewers). Looks like for 18 there are minor updates (better head unit on the limited the main one) so you could look to pick up a 17 on the lot at a better discount.

It's a tough call. I love how my FiST drives. When driven vigorously it is joyful. I have kept up with some much more expensive metal. I also was dead even with 3x FOSTs up till triple digits (and left one behind on some curvy roads) who told me he was stage 3. I love so much about the car, the practicality of the hatch is better than a BRZ - but my RWD snobbishness keeps coming back - and the BRZ is far more practical than a Miata/Fiata - otherwise I have been seriously considering a Fiat 124 Abarth to get a small turbo car.

BRZ looks nice, is a pure RWD with torsen LSD sports car, and at least can be modded to get a nice boxer rumble (UEL header) or a nice tuned Porsche like boxer snarl (EQ header). Seems like the header + tune guys are seeing around 220hp/165tq or more (crank). Sucks that there is no perfect little car - a BRZ with the FiST's engine? Done and done... but basically you gotta decide if the turbo torque and the small 4-door hatch practicality are more important to you than classic RWD/LSD driving characteristics, along with the panache coolness of a handsome small coupe compared to a small bulbous hatch.

You can't go wrong either way. Final thought if you are a two-car guy the BRZ is the better garage toy alongside some sort of DD, whereas the FiST is a great sporty DD.

Keep in mind i am a chubby middle aged man - so my feelings about the FiST come from that perspective and ownership of many somewhat nicer cars. I originally bought my FiST last year because i moved and had a 100 mile commute, and my GF works for Ford so I wanted to stick to Ford's stable.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Not having enough curvy roads to drive on where I live is bad enough. I couldn't imagine how bored I'd get driving on straight roads with 150 lbs of torque. Oh wait, yes I can, I've owned a 2014 Focus that had 146 lbs torque.

I paid an average of $17,500 on my FiSTs; how much would I pay for a BRZ that has a useless back seat again? Could I get a slightly used Corvette for the same price?

No thanks. Not for me.

I was thinking about the BRZ recently. I've had the FiST and have been racing autox for about a year now. I did really well with it but in the process developed an itch for some RWD action. The big problem I have the the BRZ is that it wouldn't be as fun to DD and I think it's got a pretty bad interior, looks-wise. Doesn't look comfy either, but I haven't been in one.

They've even just added a spec BRZ-FRS SCCA autox class, which says something for its sports-car capabilities. There are a couple very fast BRZs in my region. The ones with loud mufflers sound better than Fiestas with loud mufflers, IMO.

Right now I'm leaning toward buying a trailer only pre built spec miata. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get into actual bumper to bumper track racing here in Albuquerque and I don't think I want to replace the Fiesta as my DD yet. I keep it setup for Street Class Autox (koni yellows, light 16" rims, re71r's, stock everything else) and it's a blast on the street, even with the stock RMM.

I was thinking about the BRZ recently. I've had the FiST and have been racing autox for about a year now. I did really well with it but in the process developed an itch for some RWD action. The big problem I have the the BRZ is that it wouldn't be as fun to DD and I think it's got a pretty bad interior, looks-wise. Doesn't look comfy either, but I haven't been in one.

They've even just added a spec BRZ-FRS SCCA autox class, which says something for its sports-car capabilities. There are a couple very fast BRZs in my region. The ones with loud mufflers sound better than Fiestas with loud mufflers, IMO.

Right now I'm leaning toward buying a trailer only pre built spec miata. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get into actual bumper to bumper track racing here in Albuquerque and I don't think I want to replace the Fiesta as my DD yet. I keep it setup for Street Class Autox (koni yellows, light 16" rims, re71r's, stock everything else) and it's a blast on the street, even with the stock RMM.
Heavier and slower than a FiST but whatever floats your boat. Buy what you like.

Faster to 60 and in 1/4 mile compared to fist and hardly any heavier........ I'm also tempted to replace my fist with one.
In a way the BRZ is what the Miata was in the early 90s. It's modest power disappoints many enthusiasts, yet it's other attributes make it a sort of legend. Once you can get a 2013 BRZ for $5k they'll probably be a popular spec racing platform, like the Miata.

My gripe about the brz/frs is that I see them all over. I like how in a sense "rare" our Fiestas are. I've only seen like 3 in my county so far and when I park my car, a few people come to check it out because they've never seen/heard of a Fiesta ST before. Also kind of why I didn't go for the Focus ST as well. It's just too common. The BRZ is a great car don't get me wrong. If you get one, you'll be happy.

My gripe about the brz/frs is that I see them all over. I like how in a sense "rare" our Fiestas are. I've only seen like 3 in my county so far and when I park my car, a few people come to check it out because they've never seen/heard of a Fiesta ST before. Also kind of why I didn't go for the Focus ST as well. It's just too common. The BRZ is a great car don't get me wrong. If you get one, you'll be happy.
I feel the same. The Fiesta ST is such an unknown model, but sort of legendary to those who know of it. I'm certainly not ready to give it up as a daily driver. I considered the BRZ to have as a project race car but it's just not in my price range like a miata is. Definitely wouldn't want to daily drive the BRZ over the FiST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
In a way the BRZ is what the Miata was in the early 90s. It's modest power disappoints many enthusiasts, yet it's other attributes make it a sort of legend. Once you can get a 2013 BRZ for $5k they'll probably be a popular spec racing platform, like the Miata.
HA! I'd like to drop a built LSx into one, IF an independent rear axle setup strong enough to handle the powah could be found. ;)

I agree with this. After owning an FRS for a couple years, I am surprised they actually built it. A low powered, small, light sports car in today's world of high HP is a tough sell. And it is priced too high (new) for what/where it is in the market IMO. It IS a great sports car, if great handling and light weight is your thing. I loved driving it, more than other fast, high HP cars. I think it will become a darling of a track car when prices get low enough. It would be great to see a spec series from it, but I doubt that will happen given that spec-Miata is essentially the same thing.