Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/55R16 - Will They Fit?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello All,

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on putting 205/55R16 tires (with 7.6" Tread Width and 24.9" Overall Diameter) on a 16x7 wheel with stock suspension? Will the tire be too tall and rub?

I am looking at these continentals as a high tread life specifically for the fall/spring. I want an all season with as much tread height as possible for comfort and dirt/gravel roads.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...eSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#RatingsReviews

Appreciate anyone with thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

Hello All,

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on putting 205/55R16 tires (with 7.6" Tread Width and 24.9" Overall Diameter) on a 16x7 wheel with stock suspension? Will the tire be too tall and rub?

I am looking at these continentals as a high tread life specifically for the fall/spring. I want an all season with as much tread height as possible for comfort and dirt/gravel roads.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...eSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#RatingsReviews

Appreciate anyone with thoughts on the subject.

Thanks
I currently am running 215/45 R17s on stock suspension, 205/55 R16s show as about 0.3" inches taller. They will fit yes, but you'll likely rub on the fender liners on large bumps. My fronts scrub if i am at 3/4 to full lock and hit a decent sized bump, and the rear cloth liners are basically no more on my car. So some food for thought. Hope this helps.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
I currently am running 215/45 R17s on stock suspension, 205/55 R16s show as about 0.3" inches taller. They will fit yes, but you'll likely rub on the fender liners on large bumps. My fronts scrub if i am at 3/4 to full lock and hit a decent sized bump, and the rear cloth liners are basically no more on my car. So some food for thought. Hope this helps.
This helps tremendously, thank you.

I may just stick with a 205/50R16 then. I want to avoid rubbing and don't want to trim anything. I was just really hoping I could get another .5" of cushion to fit without issue..

This helps tremendously, thank you.

I may just stick with a 205/50R16 then. I want to avoid rubbing and don't want to trim anything. I was just really hoping I could get another .5" of cushion to fit without issue..
I'm running 205/50R16s and it's a noticeable improvement over the 17" stock tires in terms of ride quality without sacrificing cornering. The one downside to this tire size is that there's not a lot of options in the Ultra High Performance tire category. I went with BF Goodrich G-force Comp-2 AS, which is great for cornering (nice stiff sidewalls), but does tend to hydroplane a bit on the interstate during downpours. For a cushier ride you might just a High Performance tire that has less stiffness in the sidewalls.

Wythe

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
I'm running 205/50R16s and it's a noticeable improvement over the 17" stock tires in terms of ride quality without sacrificing cornering. The one downside to this tire size is that there's not a lot of options in the Ultra High Performance tire category. I went with BF Goodrich G-force Comp-2 AS, which is great for cornering (nice stiff sidewalls), but does tend to hydroplane a bit on the interstate during downpours. For a cushier ride you might just a High Performance tire that has less stiffness in the sidewalls.

Wythe
Yeah, I have 205/50R16 340 Treadwear Summers now that are awesome in the dry but hydroplane like crazy above 55MPH on the highway. I need something better for commuting. Probably a "Grand Touring" All Season Tire.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
You can also try adjusting tire pressure. Sometimes adjusting the pressure a few psi or so can make a difference if you aren't looking for anything really major.

I went from 36F/33R to 40F/37R on my Federal SS595s and it really improved the ride some, the turn-in also improved just a little. I lost a little though in takeoff and the tires squeal if I give too much from a stop but it's worth it to me. Slightly less feedback but other than that the tires are still performing fine and wear has been really great for the price so far.

Each tire is different though so you kind of have to just play with it until you get the balance that works for you.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk