Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exhaust Soot

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Since this thread - http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/13506-Exhaust-Soot - was closed I'll make a new one to post up how the soot issue was solved.

Don't run a non-synthetic oil or even a synthetic blend!!! ALWAYS run a FULL synthetic oil in this car!!

After one oil change the car exhibited MUCH less soot and it was obvious that for whatever reason, the supplied oil from Ford was not suitable!

For reference, Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 was used.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Precisely the oil I have sitting in my cellar waiting to go in for the winter oil change! [thumb] [:)]

I decided that even though it does not have the SPECIFIC Ford 945-A approval by Amsoil PAYING FOR the actual FoMoCo licensing fees, it MUCH MORE THAN meets/beats the specs of that rating, and Amsoil WILL stand with me legally IF Ford ever tried to deny the power train warranty by trying to claim that this oil actually caused any internal failures. [wink]

The ZDDP content in it's add pack is NOT sky high, in fact I believe that it is well under the current API SN spec levels, so NO harm to the catcon, even if some is getting into the combustion chamber by any means.
The Amsoil SSO line is probably the safest of all of the 'boutique' oils in this respect, as Red Line, phenomenal as it is, does have higher ZDDP content levels in it's add pack, but still, it is just over the SN spec limits.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
It certainly worked wonders for is situation.

I should note that s WIX oil filter was used - the regular one. I've since gone to the XP for Xtended Performance! In reality I'm just hoping for more filter medium for better loading of particles.

Get a full synthetic oil AND put in a good filter!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I use either the Amsoil EaO, MC FL-400S, oversize Mobil 1, Wix/NAPA Gold, or, believe it or not, the Fram ULTRA oil filters.

The Fram ULTRA, as hard as it is to believe that ANYTHING with the Fram name on it is not a P.O.S., is actually one of the best high efficiency/capacity oil filters out there, and is actually rated BETTER in efficiency, at the same micron level, than the Wix XP/NAPA Platinum filters.
It is also ~$8.00 at our US Walmarts. ;)

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Blasphemy!!

FRAM = junk! Everyone knows that and it can't change at any point in time ever!

[emoji854]