Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rust?

I realize this may not be the best place to start this thread, but it is technically pertaining to the chassis. Being that some '13 build fiestas are going on 4 years old, how is everyone's holding up as far as rust is concerned? I live in north eastern Ohio so snow and salt are common. My '14 has 29k and has seen 2 winters so far, and I'm already getting surface rust on some parts of the suspension and underbody. Has anyone with a higher millage winter driven fiesta looked under their car recently? Any pictures? I always try to make a point of hitting the car wash with underbody spray once a week durning winter to help keep the corrosion at bay, but my fear is by the time it's paid off I'll have some pretty nasty rust underneath. Opinions?

me32

1000 Post Club
I live in ca and have a June 2013 build. Zero rust and have driven in snow area just a couple times. Car has 74k on it and sits outside

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Mine is a 2015 and has had 3 Michigan winters on it so far. The suspension components are starting to show some surface corrosion, so I clean and paint the areas of concern in the spring when I change the car back into summer mode. The underbody looks good without any signs of corrosion. I clean the Fiesta weekly in the winter and that includes an underbody flush, use mud flaps and underbody shields, and a healthy application of a sealer wax over painted surfaces. The aluminum parts in the engine compartment are proving the most difficult to maintain. I haven't found a great way to keep them looking good.

The suspension arms and brackets aren't painted. They are coated. Similar to powder coating,but not as durable or chip resistant. My Fiesta isn't winter driven and the front control arms started showing signs of corrosion on the welded seams. I just applied a rubberized undercoating to the wiped down areas. I think that is about all that can be done to slow it's progress. For other areas I use either a brushed on coating of grease or, for aluminum parts I just spray WD-40 on the bare aluminum parts.