Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/45-16 Bridgestone RE760 Sport Owner's Review

Waterfan

205/45-16 Bridgestone RE760 Sport Owner's Review

TL;DR - Initial review: RE760 Sport are significantly quieter and possibly slightly grippier than the 205/45-16 BFG Sport Comp 2's they replaced and were nearly cost neutral due to current $70 Bridgestone mail-in rebate. Extremely satisfied so far (<200 miles experience)

Preamble (or more accurately, "pre-ramble"):
After 3 months of failing to find the Firestone Indy 500 in 205/45-16 and also failing to source Conti ECS (currently on rebate) through my local shop, I was recommended to try and recently installed RE760's. I had a very satisfying, ~15k mile experience with 205/45-16 BFG Sport Comp 2's but felt like I wanted to try something different and hopefully better.

After 1 week and 200 miles of use:
Immediately I noticed how much quieter the 760s are compared to the SC2s. They do slightly "hum" at freeway speeds. On the streets I hear nothing. 760s grip off the line at least as well as SC2s (I can floor it in 1st and 2nd with only slight loss of traction and no traction control intervention.) Possibly slightly better turn-in response than SC2s, but this might be all in my head since the tires visually "fit" the wheel "better" (shoulder blocks align with the rim perfectly, SC2s were slightly fatter). Have not driven hard enough yet to find the limits (One 7/10s canyon run only). Initial gut feel is these are at least as grippy and possibly slightly grippier than SC2s (could be psychological justification of my purchase)

Some Misc Stats:
-Wheels: 16x7
-Driving "blend": 80% hwy / 15% city / 5% canyon
-Cost comparison: SC2s $90 each ($360), 760s $110 each with $70 mail in ($370).

OP
Waterfan

Waterfan

Thread Starter #3
Post-canyon-run update: 760's definitely better than BFG SC2. Grip is at least slightly better (I have not pushed these as hard as I can yet). The most notable difference is I can 'feel' the 760s better during mid-corner adjustments, if that makes sense. Also, they don't 'paint' the fenders of my car with tire compound like the SC2s did after a spirited run (there is a few square inches of 760 compound on the fenders, but nothing like the few square feet from SC2s :)

I bought the same tires for the same reasons as the OP. Have the RE760s on an old BMW the same size and I like the low noise and the grip is good maybe not the best , but good. The Firestones next time if they are available.

So coming from working for Bridgestone, I ran the RE760s in 205/40R17 back before they were discontinued and I absolutely adored those tires. Best set I've ran so far from a grip and feel point of view. It was upsetting when they cancelled the RE760 line up completely but it is going to be replaced by the Firehawk Indy 500 line, which is a rebranded Potenza S-03 and they also have great reviews.

cxwrench

Post-canyon-run update: 760's definitely better than BFG SC2. Grip is at least slightly better (I have not pushed these as hard as I can yet). The most notable difference is I can 'feel' the 760s better during mid-corner adjustments, if that makes sense. Also, they don't 'paint' the fenders of my car with tire compound like the SC2s did after a spirited run (there is a few square inches of 760 compound on the fenders, but nothing like the few square feet from SC2s :)
What pressure are you running them at? Just got the same tires today, mounted on Sparco Assetto Gara, same size as yours.

OP
Waterfan

Waterfan

Thread Starter #8
What pressure are you running them at? Just got the same tires today, mounted on Sparco Assetto Gara, same size as yours.
38 (cold) all around. I have not out-driven these tires in the canyon yet (not brave enough) and probably could do 35 for a bit more grip (but as my daily driver, I like the "feeling" of "better" hwy mpg with slightly higher pressures).

I suspect these will be great anywhere between 32 and 42 psi (like most decent tires), depending on your tastes/conditions.

cxwrench

38 (cold) all around. I have not out-driven these tires in the canyon yet (not brave enough) and probably could do 35 for a bit more grip (but as my daily driver, I like the "feeling" of "better" hwy mpg with slightly higher pressures).

I suspect these will be great anywhere between 32 and 42 psi (like most decent tires), depending on your tastes/conditions.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I started off w/ 36f/34r, I'll mess around this weekend and see what I like best.