Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST Pedal Spacer Question

I tried the GL spacer and found it to be an extremely well-made product that did exactly as advertised. The install was simple, lateral adjustments were quick, and the craftsmanship was superb.

I ultimately removed mine because even moved as far to the right as possible, the pedals were still too close that I would occasionally touch the gas whilst braking. As others have said, your experience may be different.

Another reason I removed it was because the spacer pushes the gas pedal out closer to the driver and thus closer to a connector on the back of the brake pedal arm. Under full braking, that connector is VERY close to touching the arm of the gas pedal. (I noticed this when under the dash and using my hand to hit the brakes.)

I haven't read of any issues as a result, though, so there probably isn't anything to worry about. But I didn't feel comfortable with how close the connector was to the gas pedal arm during braking. That's probably the OCD inside of me. I reached out to GL to see if they were aware of the closeness of that connector during the design phase but deemed it a non-issue, but I never got a reply.

With that said, I still think the GL spacer is awesome, and it works as intended.

Will you be selling your GL spacer?
PM me if so.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Got bored and swapped the active shift design spacer out for the garageline. Feels more comfortable, the ASD spacer is too thick in my opinion. I have to have the pedal as far to the right as it will go and I wish I could get it over just a smidge more.

On the positive, it is so super easy to heal toe now, it's almost like cheating.

I installed a Garageline spacer on my 2017 FiST this past weekend and it is a different car--I really think it is that good. I am not intending to be critical of any other spacer, since each person will have his or her own preferences. But I first installed a No-Pistons 3/8" spacer and for me, it still did not get the gas and brake pedals in close enough proximity either laterally or height-wise. It was inexpensive and a snap to install, but didn't work for me. In contrast, for me the Garageline spacer is perfect. With the top pedal mounting stud moved to the right in the top slot, and the bottom mounting stud moved as far left as possible given the top stud position, the pedal placement works great both for actual heel and toe work, as well as for blipping the throttle with the outside of my right foot while on the brake. For me, the gas pedal wiring had just enough slack to allow installation without cutting the OEM wiring retaining tie to get a bit more. If I would have had to cut it, there would easily be lots more slack and a zip tie and 30 seconds would have had the harness secured once again. When I bought this car I was in shock that the stock pedal placement could be so ineffectual--Ford did so many things right on the FiST that it was hard to believe they got pedal placement so wrong. The Garageline 30mm spacer (link in a previous post above) is a beautifully machined and finished billet spacer that fixed the problem for me.
I may have to go this route myself. I have installed No Piston's 3/8" spacer (good price and fast service--Thanks!). While it is certainly a major improvement, it is still much harder for me to blip the throttle on downshifts than my NA miata. Part of the issue is that the FiST has much more sensitive and less progressive brakes (which amplifies my sloppy braking technique), but the pedal spacing is still not quite right for my narrow size 9 feet.

As someone above noted, it is sort of weird that Ford could get this so wrong in a car that otherwise is so right. The heel-toe was so effortless in my Miata that I did not even realize that I was doing it so often. The first drive in my new FiST really emphasized the difference.

Zormecteon

As someone above noted, it is sort of weird that Ford could get this so wrong in a car that otherwise is so right. The heel-toe was so effortless in my Miata that I did not even realize that I was doing it so often. The first drive in my new FiST really emphasized the difference.
The laws have changed since the NA Miata. NHSTA says that the pedals MUST be of different height so that the gas pedal cannot be mistaken for the brake pedal. There were too many (IDOITS) who confused the two, and thinking they were braking, mashed the gas pedal and KILLED others, swearing that they could not stop the car.... .....

Incidentally, after the AUDI fiasco, a dealer (I believe in New Jersey) offered $100,000 to anyone who... Could do ANYTHING to the car except to the braking system, AND if he could not stop the car using only the brakes, they would get the money... Of course he never lost a cent. ...

Nevertheless, there have been enough errors that the government got involved in setting standards, thus the horrible placement of pedals in the FiST.

Zormecteon

The laws have changed since the NA Miata. NHSTA says that the pedals MUST be of different height so that the gas pedal cannot be mistaken for the brake pedal. There were too many (IDOITS) who confused the two, and thinking they were braking, mashed the gas pedal and KILLED others, swearing that they could not stop the car.... .....

Incidentally, after the AUDI fiasco, a dealer (I believe in New Jersey) offered $100,000 to anyone who... Could do ANYTHING to the car except to the braking system, AND if he could not stop the car using only the brakes, they would get the money... Of course he never lost a cent. ...

Nevertheless, there have been enough errors that the government got involved in setting standards, thus the horrible placement of pedals in the FiST.

Very good to know. Funny, my perception of proper pedal placement also comes from the NA miata

LILIKE16ST

I use the 3/8 inch no pistons spacer and it is wonderful and made heel toe shifting much better and easier. I have a size 13 shoe that's fairly wide so my experience may not match others. With my feet I have/had no issue with the left to right placement of the pedal only the fact it was down more than the break vertically and the 3/8 inch spacer from no pistons made it just right for me. I would recommend this spacer unless you have smaller feet and find the side to side hard to deal with then you may need to look elsewhere for a spacer. Just my .02

Came here to suggest the 3/8" no pistons spacer that I purchased like 8 months ago but haven't installed yet. However after reading this thread, I'm not even going to bother. I'm getting the GarageLine.

Just got the No Pistons 3/8" spacer, and in the instructions it says I need to torque the bolts to 177 lbs/in. How critical is it to have a torque wrench and be at that number? Is it not fine to hand tighten them?

Zormecteon

177 in/lbs is less than 15 ft/lbs... .. Hand tight is MORE than that. .. you'll be fine, just don't strip them ..

YMMV

My 2¢

LILIKE16ST

Just got the No Pistons 3/8" spacer, and in the instructions it says I need to torque the bolts to 177 lbs/in. How critical is it to have a torque wrench and be at that number? Is it not fine to hand tighten them?

It doesn't matter I didn't do that with mine it's been on my car well over a year just tighen them up.