Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST Pedal Spacer Question

SrsBsns

Just picked up a '15 FiST over the weekend and one of the things I hate is the huge gap between the brake and accelerator. In my M3, I could just roll my foot to blip the throttle while I was on the brakes and it was so effortless.

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse, I've searched a little bit but did not find anything definitive. A lot of stuff from 2014 or 2015 that just kind of trailed off...

I've been looking at the Active Shift Design (Mod Bargains) but I've read that this one is a little too thick. When you're driving and on the brakes, you would actually be lower than the accelerator which is kind of strange.

However, I haven't heard much about the others except that 3/8" is a better size.

Any feedback on the different sizes/ manufacturers?

I've been running a 3/8" model I purchased from amazon for months now. Heel-toe downshifts became significantly easier since it was installed.

Just picked up a '15 FiST over the weekend and one of the things I hate is the huge gap between the brake and accelerator. In my M3, I could just roll my foot to blip the throttle while I was on the brakes and it was so effortless.

Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse, I've searched a little bit but did not find anything definitive. A lot of stuff from 2014 or 2015 that just kind of trailed off...

I've been looking at the Active Shift Design (Mod Bargains) but I've read that this one is a little too thick. When you're driving and on the brakes, you would actually be lower than the accelerator which is kind of strange.

However, I haven't heard much about the others except that 3/8" is a better size.

Any feedback on the different sizes/ manufacturers?
If you have narrow feet:

http://garageline.com/303-garageline-2013-fiesta-st-accellerator-pedal-mount-.html

Zormecteon

I had the modbargains spacer and while it made life easier, it still wasn't easy. I now have the garageline spacer and heel and toeing IS easy.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #8
They're not very narrow... Did you say that because it's easier to heel toe with smaller feet? I'm hoping that I can keep the left side of my foot on the brake and the right side of my foot on the gas. Do you think that's possible with the garageline?

I had the modbargains spacer and while it made life easier, it still wasn't easy. I now have the garageline spacer and heel and toeing IS easy.
What was the difference between the two?

There's a few different spacers available as "things" online. Pick a size and style you like and have it 3D printed wherever is convenient.

Wider feet will make it easier to cover the brake and pivot your foot to blip the throttle with the right side of your foot. I'm not sure if it's possible, as I don't have the garageline one, because it's not so cheap. I do have the no-pistons adapter along with a razo gas pedal adapter that's adjustable. There was another member who ran this setup. While it makes it easier, I do still sometimes get my foot caught under the throttle because the spacing from pedal to pedal is too wide. And, my feet are about avg width.

DangerMouse

Thanks for posting this, I have been using the active shift design spacer but sitting on a garageline, debating on installing it. Think I'll give it a go now.

Zormecteon

Mine gargeline spacer was installed with the pedals as close together as the spacer allows. I would move it another 1/4 away, because, although I have tiny feet (7 1/2) my shoe sometimes hits both pedals. I am having, and had to retrain my foot about where it rests on the floor so that I don't get interference... YMMV.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies.

I just ordered the garageline. I like that it's moves the pedals a little closer together as well. I'll post again after it's installed with some thoughts.

I installed a Garageline spacer on my 2017 FiST this past weekend and it is a different car--I really think it is that good. I am not intending to be critical of any other spacer, since each person will have his or her own preferences. But I first installed a No-Pistons 3/8" spacer and for me, it still did not get the gas and brake pedals in close enough proximity either laterally or height-wise. It was inexpensive and a snap to install, but didn't work for me. In contrast, for me the Garageline spacer is perfect. With the top pedal mounting stud moved to the right in the top slot, and the bottom mounting stud moved as far left as possible given the top stud position, the pedal placement works great both for actual heel and toe work, as well as for blipping the throttle with the outside of my right foot while on the brake. For me, the gas pedal wiring had just enough slack to allow installation without cutting the OEM wiring retaining tie to get a bit more. If I would have had to cut it, there would easily be lots more slack and a zip tie and 30 seconds would have had the harness secured once again. When I bought this car I was in shock that the stock pedal placement could be so ineffectual--Ford did so many things right on the FiST that it was hard to believe they got pedal placement so wrong. The Garageline 30mm spacer (https://garageline.com/135-interior-bits) is a beautifully machined and finished billet spacer that fixed the problem for me.

Last edited:
OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #15
I installed a Garageline spacer on my 2017 FiST this past weekend and it is a different car--I really think it is that good. I am not intending to be critical of any other spacer, since each person will have his or her own preferences. But I first installed a No-Pistons 3/8" spacer and for me, it still did not get the gas and brake pedals in close enough proximity either laterally or height-wise. It was inexpensive and a snap to install, but didn't work for me. In contrast, for me the Garageline spacer is perfect. With the top pedal mounting stud moved to the right in the top slot, and the bottom mounting stud moved as far left as possible given the top stud position, the pedal placement works great both for actual heel and toe work, as well as for blipping the throttle with the outside of my right foot while on the brake. For me, the gas pedal wiring had just enough slack to allow installation without cutting the OEM wiring retaining tie to get a bit more. If I would have had to cut it, there would easily be lots more slack and a zip tie and 30 seconds would have had the harness secured once again. When I bought this car I was in shock that the stock pedal placement could be so ineffectual--Ford did so many things right on the FiST that it was hard to believe they got pedal placement so wrong. The Garageline 30mm spacer (link in a previous post above) is a beautifully machined and finished billet spacer that fixed the problem for me.
That's a good review and what you said about the lateral placement is what convinced me to give it a shot. Tracking has mine arriving on Thursday so I'll post up my thoughts after it's installed.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Prototype gas pedal installed for testing. Heel-n-toe downshifting is much easier with the wider pedal. by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Before any of the pedal spacers were on the market, I made my own gas pedal out of a piece of brushed aluminum. I found the raw material at Home Depot or Lowes, made a cardboard cutout of what I needed to make, and cut it out using tin snips. I attached it with two self tapping flat head screws (not shown in the picture) and then covered the pedal with skateboard grip tape. In total, it cost me under $10 and works perfect!

That's a good review and what you said about the lateral placement is what convinced me to give it a shot. Tracking has mine arriving on Thursday so I'll post up my thoughts after it's installed.
I tried the GL spacer and found it to be an extremely well-made product that did exactly as advertised. The install was simple, lateral adjustments were quick, and the craftsmanship was superb.

I ultimately removed mine because even moved as far to the right as possible, the pedals were still too close that I would occasionally touch the gas whilst braking. As others have said, your experience may be different.

Another reason I removed it was because the spacer pushes the gas pedal out closer to the driver and thus closer to a connector on the back of the brake pedal arm. Under full braking, that connector is VERY close to touching the arm of the gas pedal. (I noticed this when under the dash and using my hand to hit the brakes.)

I haven't read of any issues as a result, though, so there probably isn't anything to worry about. But I didn't feel comfortable with how close the connector was to the gas pedal arm during braking. That's probably the OCD inside of me. I reached out to GL to see if they were aware of the closeness of that connector during the design phase but deemed it a non-issue, but I never got a reply.

With that said, I still think the GL spacer is awesome, and it works as intended.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #20
GL Spacer went in on Friday and I got a little bit of driving in over the weekend. This little spacer makes a HUGE difference.

Ok, first things first, the GL Spacer itself is nice. Came wrapped up really well in the box and is heavy and feels like a nice piece. The only problem that I had with it was with the supplied hardware/lack of instructions. GL gave me the spacer, 2 bolts (for the gas pedal to mount to), 2 crush nuts and 4 washers (1 on each side of the spacer for each bolt).

The problem was that with the washer on the back side of the spacer, the bolt was not long enough to go through the spacer and the pedal housing. When I removed the washer from the back of the spacer, the bolt settled in perfectly to the groove cut out in the spacer and I had enough room to tighten everything down.

Not a big deal, but they should have either mentioned that you don't need 2 of the washers or just not included them.

Minus that little problem, this thing is great. The height is perfect. The gas pedal now sits just below the brake pedal so as soon as you're on the brakes at all, the pedals are even and with a little roll, you can easily blip the throttle.

It makes downshifts effortless. You don't have to think about footwork, you just push and roll and it's all right there. It gives the car such a different feeling when you're on the brakes hard down a straight and roll to hit your downshifts without having to worry about reaching.

Granted that it's only been a few days, but I highly recommend this product.