Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used Ford Fleet Vehicle?

Hello all,

Looking to get some advice or possibly more information from those with the "tools" available. Looking to possibly get a FiST and was going to go new, but the dealers in my area aren't doing much with the FiST as far as price like they are on the FoST. So I found this vehicle at another dealership about 30-40 minutes away...

http://bobgillinghamford.com/Cleveland/For-Sale/Used/Ford/Fiesta/2017-ST-Orange-Car/52862700/

I have some concerns after looking at the AutoCheck report about it being flagged as Fleet/Lease/Rental. So after contacting the dealership thru the cargus site (i didn't want them calling me everyday harassing me to come and test drive the car lol) and asking some questions I got nowhere. Until today when they sent an email asking me "How is your car shopping going" and I replied with "Are you ever going to answer the questions I asked in previous correspondence?" That's when a different gentleman finally replied with some info.

Which brings me to what he says... "My name is John and Mike wanted me to help him solve the mystery of prior ownership. After further review, it was a fleet car for Ford to have a Ford rep go around dealerships to demonstrate the features of the car. Then they auctioned it off, and we purchased it in may..but for the Aug auction..we are not why sure that showed up..we still have it here on the lot. i hope this helps."

Anyone have any concerns or issues with this? Should I be worried about how much abuse this vehicle was subject to? Or the opposite and they take great care as to not let them be abused???

Thanks in advance any help or info some of you might be able to share.
Dave

codestp202

I wouldn't touch a performance vehicle that was used to "demonstrate" its capabilities. Just my $0.02.
I wouldn't agree more. Especially with how available these cars are. I got mine new with 0% apr.

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
Yeah, that's what I figured and was thinking. But sometimes you have to hear it as well lol. I got them to send me the Inspection report as well so I could see what was down or wrong or replaced etc. Showed Oil/Lube/Filter with proper oil & filter, new wiper blades all around, new air filter, coolant and battery checked good. Also shows brakes @ 100% and tires @ 95%. So either it was babied which is highly unlikely or new tires and brakes were put on by Ford prior to sending it to auction which is also highly unlikely now that I'm typing it lol.

Guess I'll just look new for a deal. Grab a 1 way ticket to Koons Ford Baltimore if I have to. Also, just got one of those $750 vouchers that pop-up when I went to look at Ford's site this afternoon!

codestp202

Yeah, that's what I figured and was thinking. But sometimes you have to hear it as well lol. I got them to send me the Inspection report as well so I could see what was down or wrong or replaced etc. Showed Oil/Lube/Filter with proper oil & filter, new wiper blades all around, new air filter, coolant and battery checked good. Also shows brakes @ 100% and tires @ 95%. So either it was babied which is highly unlikely or new tires and brakes were put on by Ford prior to sending it to auction which is also highly unlikely now that I'm typing it lol.

Guess I'll just look new for a deal. Grab a 1 way ticket to Koons Ford Baltimore if I have to. Also, just got one of those $750 vouchers that pop-up when I went to look at Ford's site this afternoon!
Think you have the right idea. Cheers from a lifelong Cleveland-er moved to the Bay area.

OP
B
Thread Starter #8
Ugh! So much nicer weather there lol.

I think I'll call it quits one the used one. Now to start looking for a good deal on a new FiST (or possibly a FoST as the price discounts on them are huge right now).

Thanks everyone!

codestp202

Ugh! So much nicer weather there lol.

I think I'll call it quits one the used one. Now to start looking for a good deal on a new FiST (or possibly a FoST as the price discounts on them are huge right now).

Thanks everyone!
Quick question and this goes against everything I believe in. Are you going to be tracking or autoxing the FiST? I know what Ohio roads are like, flat and straight. Not a whole lot of fun roads to enjoy the car on.
I'm not a huge fan of the FoST but if you're only going to be cruising and going fast I'd say its the better Ohio car. Or possibly a WRX if you can get a good price. But also, I daily'd a NB Miata with summer tires in the winter. So if you want the FiST I say go for it. It is honestly such an amazing car with so much practicality. For instance, I'm taking it to Laguna on Monday. I'll have room for tools, a popup canopy, my track wheels/tires inside, a chair, and a cooler.
Keep us updated with what you choose!
I track/auto-x/ and mountain drive the FiST very often so it's the better choice.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Nope, won't be doing any tracking or AutoX. But I live and work near some MetroParks that have valleys and some nice twisty roads that I'll find a way to detour through. No WRX or anything else, FiST or FoST only. And I take your point well about the FoST being a better Ohio car with the crappy roads we have sometimes.

codestp202

Nope, won't be doing any tracking or AutoX. But I live and work near some MetroParks that have valleys and some nice twisty roads that I'll find a way to detour through. No WRX or anything else, FiST or FoST only. And I take your point well about the FoST being a better Ohio car with the crappy roads we have sometimes.
It's just bigger, quicker in stock form, more room, more comfy to drive on a daily basis and will do fine in the metros. I say drive both but if I was in Ohio and in your exact situation I would probably get the FoST.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Fleet vehicles are typically better maintained over private vehicles; with regular checks and changes on fluids. My prior vehicle was a fleet vehicle with a rental agency... which was a surprise since it was a manual shift, and sold it with over 320k miles on the original healthy drivetrain. (rusting out) From the sounds of it, it may have been used as a test drive vehicle at couple of dealerships. That wouldn't necessarily scare me. When vehicles are test driven, they are often test driven in the presence of a ride-along salesmen meaning, not much abuse is seen. Also, the engines and trans are designed to handle the occasional high RPM take-off. If that's all it took to break or damage them, probably much more than half of us would be in trouble. Fleet vs private, I would go for fleet. The risk of sustained abuse as opposed to occasional, could be higher with a private owner.