Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

PhoenixM3

With the help of Raam, I went with the 6ul 15x8 wheels with the 205 neo gens. I was worried about 15s looking small but they honestly make the car look mean. I couldn't be any happier. Also, I redrilled the hubs myself while still on the car with a drill guide for the 4x100 conversion. It's an easy concept, but man did it take forever, even with the right tools. Currently the suspension is stock while I'm weighing my options. It could definitely stay "as is" but with 8 in wide wheels the car seems even more twitchy at high speed cornering. Other than that the grip is unbelievable everywhere else. If anyone is interested I'll be getting much better pictures once she gets a bath today.

View attachment 10327
I just noticed your lower front bumper. I think it looks pretty sharp all blacked out.

LILIKE16ST

Ramm I have to agree with you...the 195/55/15 bfg sport comp 2 is a wonderful tire for someone like myself who does alot of driving and wants a summer tire with killer grip that still can last a little while. I am going to run that on a 15x8 because with the specs it has it's pretty much perfect for it. It is also virtually the same overall diameter as stock which keeps the speedo and gearing the same :) As of now I'm going to go with td pro race 1.2s. I hear theyre in the 15 lbs range in 8 inch wide...I'd like to have something a little lighter but I definately want an 8 inch wheel and that means more to me than losing a couple more lbs per rim. With the 21 lbs bfg tires I should still be around 6+ lbs per corner weight loss on my wheel/tire setup. It will ride much much better, handle better, brake better, accelerate better and IMO look better than stock. Its a no brainer in my book. Wouldn't mind going u6l but I don't really want to do the conversion although reading up on it it is very tempting. At first I had planned to go with the Rota Slipstreams in 15x7.5 +40 offset...they're supposedly around 13.7 lbs that's a pretty good option too for the tire i've chosen and my needs and they're around 100 bucks cheaper per set than the 15x8 td 1.2 but the td 1.2 is made better and likely more durable and also has half inch more width which will fit those tires even better although they would fit decent on the 7.5 as well. I'm in kind of a delima. Ramm you seem to have a lot of knowledge in this...if you were me...I don't race on track...I daily my car and do some spirited runs on twisty backroads here in southwestern VA. I have put 9500 miles on my car in just under 5 months so I like to drive it...so I need something that grips good for summer (I run dedicated winter tires in winter) that can also last decent (hence why I chose the bfg sc2)...anyways for my needs and the 195/55/15 bfg sc2 I've chosen to run...what would be a better choice...15x7.5 rota slipstreams +40 offset around 13.7 lbs (based on what I've read) for 575 shipped new a set...or the td pro race 1.2 in 15x8 +35 offset with a weight coming in around 15-15.5 lbs (based on the info rodmoe shared on his setup like this) which are probably higher quality too and come in around 680 a set shipped new. I am stuck between these two for my needs and I need some advice. the 4x100 is a slight possiblity because I would love nothing more than to run some 11 lbs 15x8s and all but I'm likely to just stick witht he 4x108 just to make things easier and I'm not a track junkie just an enthusiast who wants as much performance as possible for my occasional fun spirited runs on backroads. I have no problem with the looks of either wheel I like matte black and that's the color I want either way I go. I do prefer the half inch wider wheel with the td 1.2 and the more aggressive offset that gives it that go kart like stance and it also gives that tire a slight stretch which is great for everything. But the slipstreams are 7.5 wide which isn't bad and are 100 bucks cheaper per set and probably between 1.5-2 lbs lighter per rim based on the info I've researched. please help ramm or anyone else knowledgeable what would be best for my needs? What is your oppinion? thanks so much and I've read the entire thread..very good read!
Michael

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #204
Though I nearly always go with the lowest weight option in this case I would pick the 15x8 TD for the known strength, a bit better sidewall support and I like the style far more. The offset is better with the Rota but 35 is OK to run, my car works well with it.

-----------

That said, a DIY 4x100 conversion and opens the door to far more choices in even lighter wheels that are super strong for a bit more work and money, that is what I would really do if my car which I did 2.5 years ago. DIY conversion and wheels will not cost a huge amount to get even better wheels that weigh less and many more options now and in the future as such a widely used bolt pattern

----------

Please break your posts up into paragraphs when making a longer one as far easier for us to read:)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't care if the Slipstreams were 8 pounds each, I would not take them over the 1.2s, as I could not walk out to my car every day and not hate the way it looks with those wheels on it, yes, even though the unsprung weight loss would make it perform like a WTCC ride.

Sometimes, there has to be a small compromise to form over function. [wink]

To me they (the Slipstreams) look even worse than the stock wheels, and I HATE the looks of the stockers, whereas the 1.2s (to me) are one of the two or three best looking wheels for these cars (or any car for that matter). [:)]

I want to thank [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] for helping pick the best tire for my needs. I truly love the way everything turned out.
this last pic was just after they pulled my car out of the shop from the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Did the installation shop give you any grief at all over putting them onto a wheel 1" wider than the max width listed for that size in the Comp 2s??

LILIKE16ST

Sorry I uploaded the wrong pic!

dude thanks so much for posting those pics! you have the exact same setup I want...same wheels same tires and tire size even the mountune springs is what I plan to go with and mine is black. The only difference is I'll go with matte black not anthracite but that gives me a really good idea of what to expect thanks again that looks kicks ass bro....decision made haha

LILIKE16ST

I want to thank [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] for helping pick the best tire for my needs. I truly love the way everything turned out.
this last pic was just after they pulled my car out of the shop from the install.

dude I gotta say I love your setup. This is the first time I've seen pics of this setup on black I been searching high and low and it looks sweet. I have a 16 shadow black and I want to stick with the black on black look my car came with from the factory except i'm going with matte black not gloss. Anyways I LOVE how it looks on your car with the mountune springs and the bfg sc2 195/55/15 that's the same tire I want. How does the setup perform on the street? Is it a noticable improvement over stock? Better handling, braking, acceleration, better ride quality? Thanks for sharing! I am in the process of trying to pull the trigger on a set of in matte black as we speak!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^For a stock ride height car (or even lowered), on 15s, it does not get any better than that!

Classy and PERFECT color combo! [twothumb] [cool]

LILIKE16ST

Twins! Well almost, I'm at stock height.

dang that looks good! are those bfg sc2 195/55/15 also? makes me feel better about throwing mine on before I'm able to get the Mountune sport springs...looks good either way (but a little better lowered obviously). Nice ride very tasteful! white is one of my favorite colors on this car and would have likely been the color I went with had I not went black. Good job!

dude I gotta say I love your setup. This is the first time I've seen pics of this setup on black I been searching high and low and it looks sweet. I have a 16 shadow black and I want to stick with the black on black look my car came with from the factory except i'm going with matte black not gloss. Anyways I LOVE how it looks on your car with the mountune springs and the bfg sc2 195/55/15 that's the same tire I want. How does the setup perform on the street? Is it a noticable improvement over stock? Better handling, braking, acceleration, better ride quality? Thanks for sharing! I am in the process of trying to pull the trigger on a set of in matte black as we speak!
Thanks man! I love them. Everything is improved over stock. 2nd gear and rain traction are the biggest improvements.