Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Thanks buddy, much appreciated, do post them up though please, having a place for those who value performance over looks and then can find the wheels they like the looks of, that is the goal for this thread:)

Maxxim Winner Silver by Konig 17lbs 17x7 40 offset, 4x108 $105 ea free shipping from Tread Depot. The Motegi MR25's are $148 ea shipped for a 17x7.

The Maxxim Sixx silver in 16x7 40 offset 4x108 $79. Not sure as to the quality of the wheel at the price, but it's 16lbs.

Attachments

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
Konig makes decent wheels, I have the Feather in 17x7, looks like well made and I know they are of good quality, not quite as good as a roll formed wheel but a great value, I liked the looks and price as well as weight.

I was considering the Maxxim Winner and was assured by my normal wheel and tire guy it is a good wheel but I believe it was discontinued if I recall properly. The Feather was not so went with it, never know if you are going to damage a wheel so I prefer to not go custom, rare, etc....unless I buy spares.

My track wheels are Konig roll formed so very strong for the weight and only 13lbs in 15x19 $134 each but only in 4x100..

Here's my new OZ Ultraleggera 17x7.5 with 215/40 Pirelli P Zero Nero. No rub, actually think I could have gone up to 225's...

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Looks great an better with the size tires you picked than the 225 would look as just enough stretch to give great support and you have a decent amount of sidewall for bumps....wider tires would weigh more and have less precision on that wheel width.

I plan to spend the fall based out of Beverly Mass, maybe we can meet up:)

iso100

1000 Post Club
I'm ordering a set of 17x7.5" Motegi MR125s today. At 16.3# and $151 each to my door it's hard to pass up that performance bump.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
I prefer as many spokes as I can get and stay low in weight, more spore, spread the load more, straighter stokes preferred, not bend on the ends, I have seen far less broken, especially in lower cost just cast but good or some not so good wheels with such spokes, makes sense looked at from a logical perspective.

iso100

1000 Post Club
The aforementioned Motegi MR125's are on their way to me. I'll put them on the scale when I receive them.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Received them. Weighed myself first: 225.7. Then with wheel: 242.1.

The total of 16.4# is spot-on. Can't wait to get these mounted.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Now to find a wheel shop that won't trash them while mounting the tires.

I swear by Discount Tire. They will even order wheels in for you and match any price you find. Pretty crazy, doesn't even have to be brand they carry.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
I have bought dozens of wheels and even more tires from DT and have been taken care of far beyond any other company I have ever dealt with, over the last 30+ years in 4 states I have lived in.

We do have some very fine vendors here, I have not been involved with them for long but I know good people and companies when I get the chance to work with them and most here are just damn fine.

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Superb choice!

Did you get the Y or W rated tires?

One is higher speed rated, not sure it will make any difference on our cars, I went to the higher rated but no sure I needed to.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
W, which is up to 168. I haven't seen the science but I'm sure these are drag limited and won't make it beyond that speed.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
168 is far beyond anything I need anyway.

Higher speeds mean higher heat and I will use these for cold weather and rainy track days so heat is probably not an issue anyway.

I just bought the highest rated all season(really 3 season) tire made and the best one of the two they offered, just in case, of what, not sure:)