Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Rubbing is the interference of your tire and fender or fender liner. If you're rubbing the fender then you need a higher offset wheel or narrower tire, if you're rubbing the liner then you need a shorter sidewall.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #62
The Rival is a very wide tire, probably in that size as well.

8 wide tread and 24.7" tall, it should be on at least an 8" wide rim, 8.5-9" even better. To bad they do not make it in a 205 or even 195 as in most cases it would be faster.

Sometimes for autocrossing you end up running fat tires on skinny rims and some tires are designed for that so I would do some research based not on how fat the tire is but what works properly.

The Dunlop ZII in 205 is a better fitment, weighs less, shorter, I would imagine faster in most all ways and look better.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thanks Rick, it looks like its less expensive also. There are two tires called ZII, the older Dunlop ZII extreme performance (on SALE!!!!), and the newer Dunlop ZII Star Spec Extreme performance. Anyone know if they are the same in handling?????How are these tires on road noise?

I had a set of Hankooks that sounded like angry bees once they wore down. I live in sunny California, so no all weather tires for me.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #64
I have not used either one so no info I can provide but normally the newer versions are better so unless a big difference in price I would get the newer one.

Also read the test results for all tires on tirerack.com.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I heard those are loud as shit on the road. I heard the s04 Bridgestones are the best for the money.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Hmm I don't think my DZll are any louder than the Brickstones from the factory you might look into the new Hankook Ventus R3s V2 spose to heat up quick and stick better than the last model.. But the new DZll looks good but have got no feedback on it yet..
Funny the BFG rival seems to be a mixed bag for people either its ok or it lasts a very short time..

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #67
I had to raise my car a bit though I had the height as low as I could up front and maintain proper geometry as my 205/45/17 Mich AS3 on 17x7 +42mm wheels rubbed on the (I love this car very very much but somethings are simply stupid, glad not many!) bracket the fenders and bumper are attached to. I am going to take the cut off wheel and welder to it and get it out of the way......

I like to run as low as possible yet clear things in the road, OK taking my time to pull into driveways as long as not creeping and holding up traffic, but absolutely must have a setup for the best handling, not how it looks though I love lowered cars when done right.

The AS3 are amazing for an all season tire and are going to be my rain tire for solo and track duty.

----------

BUT, 20 lbs per tire, 16.8 lbs per wheel, balance weights and stems, closer to 38 lbs.

If I could find a great AS tire in a 15" I could get a barely over 31 lb package and would do it in a heartbeat!

The Rival is not a good tire if you get any rain and that does sometimes happen in SoCal, I lived there for over 20 years so have seen it happen.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I should be ready for new tires in about another 5K miles or so.
I have tried most of the brands talked about and all have there pros and cons.
The OE tires have worked very well for me on the street but I would like to go to a 215.

As for wheels, I do understand all the benefits of lighter wheels, however the roads in my area are getting so bad that the pot holes just eat them up.
So I use OE or OE replacements on the street and the lighter ones on the track where they will do me the most good anyway.

Dave

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I should be ready for new tires in about another 5K miles or so.
I have tried most of the brands talked about and all have there pros and cons.
The OE tires have worked very well for me on the street but I would like to go to a 215.

As for wheels, I do understand all the benefits of lighter wheels, however the roads in my area are getting so bad that the pot holes just eat them up.
So I use OE or OE replacements on the street and the lighter ones on the track where they will do me the most good anyway.

Dave
Why don't you get 205/45s then instead of 215/40s if the toads around you are bad? And there's more choices of 45 series.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I do also prefer less sidewall flex.
Also I have only had problems with bad toads once. LOL

Dave

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I do also prefer less sidewall flex.
Also I have only had problems with bad toads once. LOL

Dave
Stupid auto correct. Haha.
And what's this side way flex you speak of? I'm a rookie when it comes to this tire thing.
Less flex with 215/40? Or 205/45?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
As tires get taller 40-45-50 (more side wall).
Therefore more side wall flex.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Which is a bad thing..?

Sorry, still trying to understand.
Not a bad thing if you are going for a softer ride and a less bumpy ride..
Short sidewalls give up less in the corners and have less rollover while under load. IE more consistent feel at turn in and through the corners when as taller sidewalls lean or roll more and sometimes it happens all at once and can be unsettleing for the car and driver as it is a distraction to say the least..

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #76
Taller sidewalls will protect the wheels a bit more than shorter ones but some 215/40's may be around the same as some 205/45's being how manf just stick numbers on some tires that are rounded up, down, sometimes by a great deal.

I have never met a toad I did not like, many roads though;)

A decently priced well know quality aftermarket wheel can hold up to the bad roads as some heavier stock wheels, if available in one that weighs a bit less, not a bad way to go but generally, stock wheels are made to last the lifetime of the car so I understand going that route. It is great when we get lucky and can get some that work from another model that more meets our taste, size requirements, etc....I have done that a few times over the years.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yup I thought Toads were cute and needed till I watched a show on BBC about them downunder.. not a fan much anymore

Linky

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm definitely going for a smoother ride so I'll probably be going with the 45s. I'm looking at the pole position Bridgestones.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Hmm I don't think my DZll are any louder than the Brickstones from the factory you might look into the new Hankook Ventus R3s V2 spose to heat up quick and stick better than the last model.. But the new DZll looks good but have got no feedback on it yet..
Funny the BFG rival seems to be a mixed bag for people either its ok or it lasts a very short time..
Do you think a 215/45ZR17 Hankook Ventus RS3 version 2 tires will fit without rubbing. I've always liked the handling, not so much the noise, but that was only one set of tires, the next set was quiet. Price for 4 is $484.00

Original J-Pat

So is Team Dynamics wheels the lightest seems like everyone is going that route I'm trying to get the lightest wheel cuz that's the best way to go right? I'm a newb