Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #163
Great buy and look a great as well!

Low pressure cast flow formed wheels are very strong, there is not real need for forged wheels in most applications, hundreds of race cars use flow formed wheels now.

Tell us how much better your car feels, drives, should even ride better as well:)

Great buy and look a great as well!

Low pressure cast flow formed wheels are very strong, there is not real need for forged wheels in most applications, hundreds of race cars use flow formed wheels now.

Tell us how much better your car feels, drives, should even ride better as well:)
Couldn't beat $150 bucks :)

The car does feel quite a bit better, but I'm sure most of this can be attributed to swapping on the summers instead of my snows haha.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #165
DAMN FINE DEAL:)

If you had gone from stock wheels and tires to these wheels and tires you would of noticed a huge difference, likely your snows and wheels they were on weigh less than stock, let us know what you were running, please.

Rick

I'm looking at 15" wheels for the stock daily driver/weekend track car.

I want light and cheap, O.Z. Ultraleggera seem to fit that bill but not very pretty, plus $200/wheel.

Any better options?

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #167
Best 4x108 fitment right now and for some time to come is the 15x8 Team Dynamics.

If you switch to 4x100 you can get much lighter wheels like the very low weight 6UL, 11.4lbs, $159 each, roll formed so very strong.

The 6UL is made in 15x6,7,8,9,10,11, I have some 15x8 for my all seasons and ten 15x9 Konig Helix for track tires and summer tires but 9's will not fit the rear of the car unless you change the camber and roll the fenders all you can. I am considering getting some of the 6UL 15x9 rear and 15x10 front for my track setup, 245 front, 225 rear tires:)

Hey RAAM, thanks for the response.

I contacted them and found a ProSpec 1.2 with a 15x7 +40 offset, I planned on running a 205/50/15 Federal RS-R on stock suspension.

See anything wrong with this? Bolt up and go?

How funny will it look with stock suspension? Anyone have pics with a 15" wheel on stock suspension?

Thanks!

Best 4x108 fitment right now and for some time to come is the 15x8 Team Dynamics.

If you switch to 4x100 you can get much lighter wheels like the very low weight 6UL, 11.4lbs, $159 each, roll formed so very strong.

The 6UL is made in 15x6,7,8,9,10,11, I have some 15x8 for my all seasons and ten 15x9 Konig Helix for track tires and summer tires but 9's will not fit the rear of the car unless you change the camber and roll the fenders all you can. I am considering getting some of the 6UL 15x9 rear and 15x10 front for my track setup, 245 front, 225 rear tires:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #169
Sounds like a good plan, I do prefer an 8" wide wheel with most 205's, this one lists the tread at 7.2" so not super wide, section width is 8.3", usually you get better feedback and precision and in some cases a bit more effective contact patch with the wider wheel.

I have heard the 8" wheel is 2lbs heavier than the 7" which seems a bit excessive a gain and 8lbs of unsprung and rotational weight is pretty significant amount so that negates some of the gain in the wider wheel....it might be a good idea to check to ensure the exact weight per wheel.

Either way you go the improvement over stock is going to be huge:)

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Someone on here has pic of same wheel on stock suspension. Imo didn't look good. I have same wheels but still haven't got them on as I wanna do suspension at same time

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #173
Those look great, love the style, weight, strength, real performance, yeah!

As I have mentioned many times on various threads and in PM's tire size is not accurate with what is stamped on them, I have seen 225 narrower than 205s in extreme cases and 225 race tires that were closer to 245. You will want to look at the diameter, section width and tread width of the tires you are considering as some 225 are a bit to wide for an 8" wheel and some 205s are perfect for it. I chose 9" wide wheels knowing it was going to be a very serious fitment issue including changing the rear camber and then rolling and pulling the fenders and barely get them to fit in the back.

A 16x8 +38 which sounds like the RPF1, with the right 225 should work out well though you will have to trim a bit of the front fender to bumper cover mounting area which is not hard to do and many have done so.

What specific tires are you looking at or if in general what do you need from them, ultimate summer grip, great summer but last a bit longer, autocross, HPDE, high performance all seasons?

I do not have a really good rear picture and do have the rear higher than the front for aero reasons and when we have the dogs and us in the car it is around 600lbs plus cargo, that and I only lower a car to where the geometry still works very well, too low gives up to much grip and too many headaches driving on public roads.

I have 6 more of the same wheels with race tires on them:)
What wheel/ tire combo is that? That looks awesome!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #175
The only FiST I know of that has 15x9 wheels all around:)

Konig Helix, flow formed so very strong, +35mm, 4x100, 13.4lbs, got a deal on 10 of them for $1240 shipped.

Tires are BFG Rival S, super sticky, ride hugely better than 17's, quieter as well but summer only.

I have 6 more of the same wheels with race tires on them and four 15x8 6ul, 11.4 lb wheels with NeoGen all season tires.

I am considering going to 15x9 rear and 15x10 fronts, 225 rear, 245 wide front tires for my track setup.

4x100 swap gives us a great deal more fun wheels to choose from:)

NOTE: To run 15x9 in the rear the camber has to be changed, I dialed mine in at -1.9, running -2.5 up front, I wanted more rear camber for more grip at the very high speeds I run on race tracks and it allowed, barely, to fit the 15x9 wheels as the tires perform better on what width.

What did you use for the 4x100 conversion. I have to do this now that i saw those pics. Exactly what i was looking for :)

Nevermind i found the thread. Time to start saving. and have to get coil overs first as well

You have a pic with the neogens?

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #178
A fairly wide 205, just a bit of stretch which is a good thing and less than it looks in the picture, 15x8, 11.4 lb wheel.

Anything else i may need for the helix bfg setup? Spacers or anything? Going to make this happen but want to make sure ill have everything i need. It rarely rains here. You think ill be better off getting the all season tire? Or just drive safe when road is wet?

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #180
I just want to make sure you saw the part about having to change the rear camber to fit 9" wide wheels in the rear.

I did it the hard way but the only way I knew of at the time, cut, aligned and welded the axle flanges, it is a very serious job taking considerable time to do really well and I set it at -1.9 degrees, target was -2 but I am fine with how it turned out.

The other way is to use a none ST rear axle, it has -1.5 degrees.

Since I still had to roll and pull the fenders as far as I could to fit 225 tires and had .4 more negative camber it would mean a closer fit running the none ST axle so more clearance work is likely due.

-----------------

Far easier is to just run 15x8 wheels like the ultra low weight 6ul, +36mm offset, many 1x8 wheels do not have a good offset.

I run 5mm spacers up front when I have the 15x9 with Rival S 225 tires on due to the tires having a curb protector on the inside, odd place to have one but they do. When I run my track wheels with 225 RA1 Toyo tires I run a 2mm spacer to clear the strut/wheel so not rubbing on hard cornering.

When I run the 15x8 6ul no spacers are needed with the NeoGen and not likely with the 225/15 tires available. I prefer as much tire as I can fit but also a wheel wide enough to give it a lot of sidewall support.

225's are fine on an 8" wheel, just not quite as optimal as a 9" wheel but certainly viable.

------------------------------

NOTE: 205,225, etc...are not the numbers we need to go by, we need to look at section and tread width as far more accurate and the label sizes are often very far off.

-------------