Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

Ah. Yeah thats a little too much for me. I really like the side profile of the bfgs you have. The neo gen dont have that same look. Maybe it looks better on the car though. I do like the look of those 6uls though. Wonder how bronze would look on magnetic

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #182
The Rival S has a 7.8" tread, 8" wheels measured inside the bead are actually 9" wide so that would make the tread slightly stretched but the sidewalls are 8.9" negating any stretched look but still would look good on the wheel and car.

The 205 would give you more of the stretched look but the tread is 6.9", section(sidewall) is 8.4, you would have a bit more stretch which does help the tread stay planted better and sometimes actually makes it a bit wider.

That is just one tire as an example.

What are your goals, ultimate grip or lots of grip and some stretched style?

That said, some tires are faster cornering with some stretch like the Rival S tested 2 second faster on a 45 second course, 225 on 9" wheel(a 9" wheel measures 10" from outside the beads)

What you might give up is some braking and acceleration so if going bigger turbo that is a serious consideration.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #183
A really nice tire on a 15x8 might be the 205/50/15 Star Spec II, 7.5 tread width, 8.4 section, 19lbs so one of the lightest, on 11.4 lbs wheels just 30.4 lbs on the most important place to lose weight on the car for all things performance. It will be a bit stiffer and noisier than the Rival S but my 225 in that tire rides so well I just went to stiffer springs and it is very quite so the SS II might not be bad at all in a 15, likely the ride will be great.

Id like good grip and i def. want the streched look. Dont think ill be going for a big turbo any time soon, want want the best acceleration also.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #185
Remember, slight stretch is better than to much or you give up grip and more prone to damage, failure, etc.

Picking tires is the most important part of modding a car if you want to make it better as they are the only contact with the road so intended use comes up as a very important part of this.

1) daily driver, autocross, road race track, canyon runs?
2) commuting so willing to give up some grip for loner life?
3) weather they will be used in? see note below.
4) budget?

Note: I have lived in Navato so know it can pour at times and most summer only tires are not that great in the rain but OK if you drive appropriately. Also when it gets below 50 summer only tires give up a lot of grip so have to consider that issue.

Will be daily driver, short commute, but also some road race track and some runs up in the hills of calistoga ect. So want decent life, so i can save yp more money for other mods :) occasional days of rain but mostly dry. Similar weather as novato

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #188
To me the Rival S 225 on the 9" wide wheels looks a bit too stretched, an 8.5 might look better and still have enough to make them faster. They were tested on 8's and 9's and proven to be 1 second quicker on a 45 second road course which is a significant number when considering how long road race tracks are normally or a nice long canyon run(I do not endorse going all out on public roads of course) But there are not many 8.5 wheels.

The NeoGen 205 on 8's look really good, nice stretch but not to much.

If really serious about how well your car handles then always go for the best tire and wheel setup first before looks, always, then if you can get the look you wish you have have it both ways, I am quite pleased overall with my combos for their intended use but would not of minded having 8.5 for the Rival S 225 tires.

If not for running the setup I have for my summer tires I would likely want to have the 15x8 6ul and 205 Star Spec II with 7.5 tread width and low weight, great combination of attributes.

The 205 RE-71R is narrower 205 at just 7" tread width and weighs 2lbs more per tire, that is 8lbs of added unsprung rotational mass which is considerable, the tire will work well on an 8" wheel but if I had to go with 7" wide wheels I would take this over the Star Spec as a bit wide for a 7.

NONE of these tires will wear for a long time, part of what we have to live with if we can the best grip we can get, if you want a longer wearing good tire, not in the same league, the BFG Sport Compact II will work well though not as fast. There actual specs are way out there compared to sidewall markings, the 195/55/15 has a 7.7" tread width, a very wide 195 and would be great on an 8" wheel.

I have a bit better pictures I can post of the wheels and tires I have to see the bit of stretched look better but they are on my newer phone which does not talk to my computer. I have tried installing apps, fixes, whatever, Galaxy 6S, why they made that change blows my mind, a major step backwards.......I can send some if you text me though, 775-600-5718

[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION]. Your Inbox is full and I have some info from 949 for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siestarider

I am very happy with 16x7 42 mm offset OZ Ultras, 14.7 lbs, currently running 215/45/16 Rival S for track. Formerly BFG SC-2 in 205/45/16, liked those also. The Rival S required a track day to cure, since then easy to drive with 2016 PB's at Sebring and PBIR. I suspect they are a bit too wide for rims, and I tend to overdrive them a little as feel is not quite as sharp as it could be.

Recently purchased Chuckable's used Kosei K5's, 17x7 42 offset 15.9 lbs with SC-2's in 205/40/17 for DD. Strictly an impulse buy based on weight, I am happier on them than stock wheels. Will try these on track too, see if I like them as well as 16's.

Still on stock running gear, need to upgrade, suspension not keeping tires stuck to track, seeing a little cupping and irregular wear.

With the help of Raam, I went with the 6ul 15x8 wheels with the 205 neo gens. I was worried about 15s looking small but they honestly make the car look mean. I couldn't be any happier. Also, I redrilled the hubs myself while still on the car with a drill guide for the 4x100 conversion. It's an easy concept, but man did it take forever, even with the right tools. Currently the suspension is stock while I'm weighing my options. It could definitely stay "as is" but with 8 in wide wheels the car seems even more twitchy at high speed cornering. Other than that the grip is unbelievable everywhere else. If anyone is interested I'll be getting much better pictures once she gets a bath today.

image.jpeg

chi

WhiteST I am very interested in the steps and tools used to redrill for 4x100 and more pics of course!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #194
Great color choice and got some lip!

Looks pretty good for stock ride height as well.

Lowering about an inch is best, too much it compromises driveability and handling.

Proper way to lower though is with keeping the inside pickup points, center of the pivots, slightly above the outer ones, ball joints.

I'm thinking about getting the Neo Gens for my 15x8 Team Dynamics Pro Race 2.1's but according to their website they're only approved for wheels up to 7.5 inches wide. You didn't have any problems with them and the installer didn't give you any grief?

I'm thinking about getting the Neo Gens for my 15x8 Team Dynamics Pro Race 2.1's but according to their website they're only approved for wheels up to 7.5 inches wide. You didn't have any problems with them and the installer didn't give you any grief?
Discount Tire wouldn't install them on 15x8s for me, or any other 205/50/15 for that matter. I tries multiple locations. They said it was a liability issue, which it probably is.
I ended up going with the 15x7 so I wouldn't have to deal with the issue now or in the future.
The tires that are actually rated for a 15x8 wheel are much more expensive.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #198
I ordered mine from the big chain store, arrived, took wheels in, mounted without a question:)