Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Light Weight Wheels and why, add yours to the list, read the requirements first

Well you killed my dreams Raam lol I just don't want to drill into a brand new car. I don't even have 300 miles on it yet. Wheels are way down the line. I really really like this car on Rota Reece but I will not daily or track a Rota lol

I'm going to PM you right now about other stuff not for this thread. But yeah I guess 4x100 mod is down the line smh
Well if it's any consequence and you prefer 17's I can say that my Recces have performed awesome in NE snow and potholes and roadwork for 8k mi...even on some hits that would definitely have bent my old Volk TE37's.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm even having problems finding decent sized wheels in 16x8! That I like a little at least

Why did I buy a new car with such a stupid bolt pattern lol

I miss my old track HR 350s. Fast on track, and and they make any wheel for it

KKaWing

I'm even having problems finding decent sized wheels in 16x8! That I like a little at least

Why did I buy a new car with such a stupid bolt pattern lol

I miss my old track HR 350s. Fast on track, and and they make any wheel for it
You and EVERYONE ELSE on here!! [:(]

IF Rimstock saw fit to make their Pro Race 1.2s in a 16x8, they would be on my car now instead of the 17x8s. [wink]
The only one I can find. The internet may jump on the hate Rota bandwagon, but you have to admit, besides Team Dynamics and Sparco, they're the only ones that really cater to the (budget) 4x108 crowd.

https://18racing.myshopify.com/products/rota-slipstream-1680-4x108-38-63-35-flat-black

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only one I can find. The internet may jump on the hate Rota bandwagon, but you have to admit, besides Team Dynamics and Sparco, they're the only ones that really cater to the (budget) 4x108 crowd.

https://18racing.myshopify.com/products/rota-slipstream-1680-4x108-38-63-35-flat-black
Even though I am not in love with the style of the Slipstreams, THOSE look alright to me given that they don't have the 'bean' slot cutouts in the center hub area like a lot of the other Slipstreams do, albeit that feature lowers the weight by a few grams. LOL [thumb]

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Hey they are not bad!

My last car was a full weight street 350Z with stock tires and I tracked hard on rep wheels with no problem! Ambit wheels to be exact! And they only cost $450 for the full set lol

If that heavy car can take it i wonder how the Rota will last on the track. I'd much rather have 4x108 wheels then do that drill hub and rotors non sense

LILIKE16ST

I like those alot I did not realize they had them in 16x8. The 16x7 weigh around 14 lbs does anyone have a clue what the 16x8 version weighs? I might have gotten those over the 15x8 pro race 1.2 had I known about them. Depending on the weight. I love my 15s tho they are pretty sweet but the slips would be much easier to clean vs mine lol

LILIKE16ST

What's the offset on those? I'm trying to find it. Thanks
offset is +35 it's the same as mine and most other 15x8 td pro race 1.2 setups for these cars. I have seen one setup go +30 but it's almost always +35 which is more optimal. Closer to +40 would be even better but +35 is fine.

I'm tempted to try them. That said, I do love the steering precision the low profile 17s provide. I have a Miata with 14 inch wheels a lots of tire meat, and I can feel the tire sidewall flex when I'm driving it hard.

LILIKE16ST

I understand what you're saying but believe me if you fit it with the right tire that is a non issue. Make sure to look at actual specs of the tire and get the tread width a little smaller than the rim width. Something between 7-7.5 inch tread width is about perfect for an 8 inch wheel. With a slight stretch like that it adds greatly to the turn in response that going to the taller sidewall takes away from....I hardly noticed ANY loss of turn in with my setup. I have the 195/55 bfg tires that are huge for a 195....7.7 tread width 7.9 section and fit perfectly on these 8 inch wheels. Trust me man if you have a little stretch like that with an 8 inch wide wheel the turn in won't be an issue at all. IF you had a 15x6 wheel with 205s on it then ya it might feel sloppy but it's like that with any size wheel. That's the whole reason to go with 8 inch width wheels over 7 inch...much easier to get tires with a slight stretch to give you that response you're after. Harder to get with 7 inch wide imo

The turn in on my car is insane it just turns sharp as can be like it's on rails every bit as good as it did with stock wheels if not better. The car is over 100 lbs lighter than it was stock and about 24-25 of those lbs came off the wheels that goes a long ways towards making a car feel more nimble and improving the turn in response as did the light weight battery I have up front when combined with the hood insulation and the engine cover I removed was over 20 lbs off the front of the car that helped with turn in as well. With the stock wheels which I still use in winter time with their all season tires the car feels heavy and less nimble. It's only 6 lbs per corner difference but trust me it can be felt. With a slight stretch on 8 inch wide wheels this car is a turn response animal even with tall sidewalls.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #296
I understand what you're saying but believe me if you fit it with the right tire that is a non issue. Make sure to look at actual specs of the tire and get the tread width a little smaller than the rim width. Something between 7-7.5 inch tread width is about perfect for an 8 inch wheel. With a slight stretch like that it adds greatly to the turn in response that going to the taller sidewall takes away from....I hardly noticed ANY loss of turn in with my setup. I have the 195/55 bfg tires that are huge for a 195....7.7 tread width 7.9 section and fit perfectly on these 8 inch wheels. Trust me man if you have a little stretch like that with an 8 inch wide wheel the turn in won't be an issue at all. IF you had a 15x6 wheel with 205s on it then ya it might feel sloppy but it's like that with any size wheel. That's the whole reason to go with 8 inch width wheels over 7 inch...much easier to get tires with a slight stretch to give you that response you're after. Harder to get with 7 inch wide imo

The turn in on my car is insane it just turns sharp as can be like it's on rails every bit as good as it did with stock wheels if not better. The car is over 100 lbs lighter than it was stock and about 24-25 of those lbs came off the wheels that goes a long ways towards making a car feel more nimble and improving the turn in response as did the light weight battery I have up front when combined with the hood insulation and the engine cover I removed was over 20 lbs off the front of the car that helped with turn in as well. With the stock wheels which I still use in winter time with their all season tires the car feels heavy and less nimble. It's only 6 lbs per corner difference but trust me it can be felt. With a slight stretch on 8 inch wide wheels this car is a turn response animal even with tall sidewalls.
Great post! I have been hammering on this subject for decades, many posts on this forum:)

Even more to gain saving weight going to 15's, better stopping, better handling as the tires stay in contact with the road better, less wear on everything, faster acceleration and better ride. In the same brand and model the tires and wheels cost less as well!

LILIKE16ST

Great post! I have been hammering on this subject for decades, many posts on this forum:)

Even more to gain saving weight going to 15's, better stopping, better handling as the tires stay in contact with the road better, less wear on everything, faster acceleration and better ride. In the same brand and model the tires and wheels cost less as well!
I think many people are scared off from going with smaller wheels and taller sidewalls because they think they are going to lose response and it's going to feel sloppy but with the right width wheels and correctly chosen tires (both size and compound) it really is a non issue and the benefits are all the way around in every way as you stated

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^No 'fear' here, just do NOT want to run a 23.0" overall diameter package on the street (because I would HAVE to run a 225/45-15 on them, even on the street, personal preference, regardless of said 225/45-15's ACTUAL tread width measurements), and have to lower the car much more than I would ever want to under ANY circumstances.
HAVING TO run a 205/50-15 (or even your 195/55-15 SC2s, no matter HOW wide their tread width) would preclude me from going to a 15x8, PERIOD! [nono]
(Again, personal preference, and NOTHING to do with 'mushy' sidewalls whatsoever.)

There is way too much wheel well gap with an almost 24.0" diameter setup (yup, my still about 3 LBS. per corner lighter than the factory wheels, 'boat anchor'<-[rolleyes] 17x8 1.2s with 215/40-17 RS-RRs on them) as it sits now with the factory ride height/suspension.

IF I were to ever go 15x8s, and somehow lower the car properly, they would be the same exact wheels you have on your car now, since I still refuse to do the hub conversion, and I personally DO NOT CARE if this mod would allow 5 lb./$50.00 each wheels. LOL

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
^^^No 'fear' here, just do NOT want to run a 23.0" overall diameter package on the street (because I would HAVE to run a 225/45-15 on them, even on the street, personal preference, regardless of said 225/45-15's ACTUAL tread width measurements), and have to lower the car much more than I would ever want to under ANY circumstances.
HAVING TO run a 205/50-15 (or even your 195/55-15 SC2s, no matter HOW wide their tread width) would preclude me from going to a 15x8, PERIOD! [nono]
(Again, personal preference, and NOTHING to do with 'mushy' sidewalls whatsoever.)

There is way too much wheel well gap with an almost 24.0" diameter setup (yup, my still about 3 LBS. per corner lighter than the factory wheels, 'boat anchor'<-[rolleyes] 17x8 1.2s with 215/40-17 RS-RRs on them) as it sits now with the factory ride height/suspension.

IF I were to ever go 15x8s, and somehow lower the car properly, they would be the same exact wheels you have on your car now, since I still refuse to do the hub conversion, and I personally DO NOT CARE if this mod would allow 5 lb./$50.00 each wheels. LOL
Somehow, I just knew you would chime in on this. LOL[wiggle]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I know it may seem obvious to many but I still feel it deserves reiterating...another thing which adds to that loose sidewall feel is tire pressure. If the tire pressure is too low while running a high aspect tire, you will increase tire flex.

This is really ultimately a preference thing and a balancing act though...because tire pressure also affects ride, overall grip, mpgs, and handling and these differences are much more noticeable with these high aspect tires than they are with lower profile tires. Just something to consider for those who try higher aspect tires and don't achieve the results they want. Sometimes these results can be easily obtainable by simply adjusting tire pressure.

You'll be amazed at the difference that a few psi can make...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk