Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Where to go from here?

Hi all!

Some of you took the time to welcome me to the page so I first off want to say thank you and I'm stoked to begin a new build.

However I'm at a crossroads right now, currently I'm running a stratified tune on a bone stock car. As you are probably all aware the tune makes roughy 26.5 psi. I've been looking at some bolt ons but have read all have negligible gains, and the consensus seems to be to start with and intercooler and plumbing. I understand it will drop my charge temps and allow the car to run more effiefiently but by the turbo being at it's capacity at 26.5 psi I'm not sold that any further modification will yield marginal gains, aside from a bigger turbo of course. Is this correct?

I am by no means and expert with these cars, but my general automotive knowledge says anything you can do to increase efficiency by way of getting air in and out should make some type of difference. I would say at very least a drop in filter would help. A catback may also help with a small boost in back pressure reduction.

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
I agree and that's why I still plan on making those modifications but as far as noticably more power it feels as if I'm near the thresholds of the turbo

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Look at posts from a year or 2 ago in the ecoboost section . Lots of good info . nuttin from downpipe or intake . Load based tune.

LaserWhisperer

FMIC, drop in filter, RMM, and tune are all you really need. If you want more noise, get some charge pipes, DP/CBE and CAI/BOV. The last few mods will yield negligible results, but the first ones will give you the most noticeable increase.

Also a symposer delete will help with spool up a *tiny* bit, but not much.

Hi all!

Some of you took the time to welcome me to the page so I first off want to say thank you and I'm stoked to begin a new build.

However I'm at a crossroads right now, currently I'm running a stratified tune on a bone stock car. As you are probably all aware the tune makes roughy 26.5 psi. I've been looking at some bolt ons but have read all have negligible gains, and the consensus seems to be to start with and intercooler and plumbing. I understand it will drop my charge temps and allow the car to run more effiefiently but by the turbo being at it's capacity at 26.5 psi I'm not sold that any further modification will yield marginal gains, aside from a bigger turbo of course. Is this correct?
For the most "bang" for your buck, get one of the softer aftermarket RMMs, an Intercooler, and then tune it with the AP--in that order. This gets you 90% of the gains. This isn't a popular option but I would just keep the stock air filter, I can see through most drop in filters. Dust on 50,000+ (?) rpm turbines wears pretty badly after a few thousand miles. I also drive off-road too, so...may not be an issue in the city.

For the tune, the default OTS Cobb Stage 2/3 tune works. Many tuners will give you a free tune if you buy through them, though. My favorite feature -- by far -- has been the Cobb traction control, a ignition/timing (?) based TC. It keeps boost built up while still letting the wheels catch. Stratified and a few others have this feature in their tunes...strat charges an extra $10. I think it is a fantastic feature. Really has saved my front tires, and quicker to 60 too.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also a symposer delete will help with spool up a *tiny* bit, but not much.
First time hearing this one, but it would make sense IF the delete was fully FLUSH with the inside diameter of the cold charge pipe (so as to NOT divert/disrupt the charge air flow AT ALL), but much less so with ALL of the current, popular symposer delete options out there, save for the aftermarket cold side pipes which do away with the symposer 'nipple' altogether. ;)

My first few mods when I bought my Fiesta was a rear motor mount from boomba, mountune intercooler (now cpe), turbosmart plumb back, drop in mountune filter, velossa tech snorkel and a custom tune from deadhook

"I've been told that if I make one more offensive remark, anywhere, at anytime I will be sacked. Even the Angel Gabriel would struggle with that hanging over his head." ~ Jeremy Clarkson

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I agree with most here

drop in filter - I'm a bit biased toward RAMAIR because I sell them but I also have K&N, Mountune (pretty much the same)
rear motor mount - AWR you can't get a better mount for the $ especially one that you can select the bushing durometer.
larger FMIC - whoosh brand for ecomomy, cp-e if you want the premium
GFB diverter valve or Turbosmart
and a tune....

there's the bulk of where all the modding potential comes from on the stock turbo
you'll gain a smidge here and there but those key mods are the main mods you'll need

E30 tune will be the biggest difference-maker from a pure power point of view, aside from upgrading the turbo.

OP
K
Thread Starter #14
Thanks guys, I think i'm going to go with an intercooler and tbe exhaust in the future. I'm just not sold on the gains to be made paying off. E30 would certainly be my best bet aside from a bigger turbo, however, the closest e85 pump is over 100 miles away. No problem accessing quality 93 but nothing else here in PA

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Sadly, E85 is more rare than hens teeth in a rainbow unicorn's mouth here in eastern Pennsyltuckey. [:(]

The station 25 minutes from me in Southampton just closed about 2 months ago, and the next closest one (supposedly in the Allentown exit Service Center's Sunoco, off of the NE Extension of the Pike) is at least an hour away (with NO traffic!) each way. [mad]

Sadly, E85 is more rare than hens teeth in a rainbow unicorn's mouth here in eastern Pennsyltuckey. [:(]

The station 25 minutes from me in Southampton just closed about 2 months ago, and the next closest one (supposedly in the Allentown exit Service Center's Sunoco, off of the NE Extension of the Pike) is at least an hour away (with NO traffic!) each way. [mad]
there is some up here in western bumfuck PA. ill transport it in a buggy and meet you next meetup

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
but in all seriousness, look for [MENTION=3995]jeff[/MENTION] he has a pretty awesome post about race gas octane booster.
Yes, I am following his thread about using that stuff. [thumb]

There is one more station a little closer (but not much) the Sheetz in Easton according to the gummint locator site.
That site also claims that there is a Federal program (started in '16 and continuing on past '17) to upgrade the supply line infrastructure to open more E85 stations everywhere, so hopefully we here, and those in other areas without, will be getting some in the near future (IF the Scumpster and Co. don't decide on a whim, like they do everything else, to cut it to ribbons!). ;) [:)]

How far are you from Glen Mills, or Ephrata?
There is supposedly a an E85 station in each of those towns currently, as well.