Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford MyTouch to Sync3 With CarPlay Upgrade

I flashed a 2017 as built file and got the message about blocks not matching. I continued and it worked fine.

Well, like I said. I probably overlooked, or did something wrong. I haven't been myself lately.[8]

Just finished installing, coding, and updated to 2.2 on the new SYNC 3. Just thought I would share some thoughts. I flashed my 2015 As Built file to the APIM. While it does work. I did notice that if you use your As Built file you do not have hill assist, or "complete" shut off of traction control. I found VIN from a similar 2016 and flashed that file and I now have both functions back. I also love the ST splash screen.
Yeah we had this exact issue with a FOST we did this to. So for now I'd suggest against using your VIN for the as built. Seems to be a hit or miss and the best option is to get a newer VIN that has your setup and use that.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yeah we had this exact issue with a FOST we did this to. So for now I'd suggest against using your VIN for the as built. Seems to be a hit or miss and the best option is to get a newer VIN that has your setup and use that.
What I don't understand is the need to flash anything unless the donor APIM is from an entirely different model (not a Fiesta). As I noted before, I am pretty sure that my Sync 3 APIM came from a non FiST Fiesta, which means AT and not 6MT. However, the hill assist and the traction off features are functional. Am I missing something??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Has anybody managed to upgrade to Sync 3 from Sync 1?
Is it possible to fit a reversing camera to a non-Nav Sync 3 unit?
Thanks

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Has anybody managed to upgrade to Sync 3 from Sync 1?
Is it possible to fit a reversing camera to a non-Nav Sync 3 unit?
Thanks
Not sure what Sync 1 is. To answer your second question - yes. Camera functionality is dormant and irrespective of the Nav capabilities.

Not sure what Sync 1 is. To answer your second question - yes. Camera functionality is dormant and irrespective of the Nav capabilities.

Thanks. Useful to know, as I’ll probably go without Nav if I I’m able to upgrade
FYI OEM reverse camera was only achievable on the Nav version of Sync 1/1.1.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thanks. Useful to know, as I’ll probably go without Nav if I I’m able to upgrade
FYI OEM reverse camera was only achievable on the Nav version of Sync 1/1.1.
Good luck. I don't think there's a price difference between a NAV and nonNAV. I ended up with a NAV unit - so, to make it functional, I just had to add the GPS antenna. Not going to update the maps - Google is my guide.

Not sure if it was covered in the thread already or not, but does anyone know if the screen from the 14/15s works with the module for sync3? The radio in my 14 just shot itself and the dealer thinks its the module (they are verifying), if it is I'm upgrading to sync3. I don't see a reason for the screens to be different, but it wouldn't surprise me at all... And to confirm, you DON'T need the new USB hub if you are using android auto, correct?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Not sure if it was covered in the thread already or not, but does anyone know if the screen from the 14/15s works with the module for sync3? The radio in my 14 just shot itself and the dealer thinks its the module (they are verifying), if it is I'm upgrading to sync3. I don't see a reason for the screens to be different, but it wouldn't surprise me at all... And to confirm, you DON'T need the new USB hub if you are using android auto, correct?
Does not. You need a set. The screen is the cheaper of the two.

[MENTION=1015]shouldbeasy[/MENTION] How did you verify that you got the right part? I'm seeing a a few parts when I search, but I'm worried that I may end up getting the physical controls. Did you contact the seller beforehand?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Does not. You need a set. The screen is the cheaper of the two.

For AA, the "old" module works - sort of. In my case, it throws up error messages - one about the hub not being supported (I guess the SD card doesn't work anymore) and also about AA device not initializing - the second one often as I see the screen turning black and, after a bit of a delay, showing the AA screen.

I did buy a 2 USB module (the new one), but it needs rewiring the power leads, as [MENTION=1015]shouldbeasy[/MENTION] wrote up upfront. Haven't installed it yet - hoping that it may speed up booting to the AA screen, and will get rid of the error messages. It is frivolous though, as the functionality of the old hub is there, just with a layer of annoying error messages. If you can deal with those, you'll be $55 richer.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=1015]shouldbeasy[/MENTION] How did you verify that you got the right part? I'm seeing a a few parts when I search, but I'm worried that I may end up getting the physical controls. Did you contact the seller beforehand?
There are no "wrong parts" so long as you know what the donor car is - so, it's best to ask for the VIN. The most economical way is to source the screen and the APIM module from a junk yard. They should show the year and the VIN. But yeah - describe what you want, you will likely need to do it anyways, none of them are equipped to sell online, you'll have to call, as the inventory is also not likely to be current either...

You can supposedly get the combo from another Ford vehicle, but then you'll have to mess with the brackets and will definitely have to flash your as-built file.

None of it is worth the effort - so, keep looking for a 2016+ FiST; they are not too common, but do pop up from time to time.

I ended up with a NAV unit, which I didn't really need because of the AA. $350 all in.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #158
Definitely call - if you can send the wrecker pictures of the part numbers and what the part looks like they're more likely to get the right item - they're a business, they want to make money and sell you this item, they just need to identify it and ensure they have it!

It's hard for them to catalogue individual parts but they will have the car VIN numbers as stated by maestromaestro - with that information in hand you can confirm through the Ford website which options the car was equipped with.

Hello there, I just have successfully installed SYNC 3 in my 2014 Fist! Thanks to your guide! I would like to point out something that might be useful. Regarding the updated USB CarPlay hub's wiring. I unfortunately did not get the new power harness for the USB hub so I went out and found a different connector. What I found was a Floppy Drive Power Connector it lines up with the pins perfectly and is pretty secure as well.

Now for two questions I have.
First does anybody know exactly what those pesky sync screen hood clips are called? I lost 4 into the dash when removing it. I have looked but only keep coming up with the Philips screw fasteners.

Second question: I was able to get a hold of the original VIN that my unit came from (2016 Fiesta Titanium). I created a Ford Account with that vin to see if I could pull a SYNC3 V3.0 update directly from Ford. Now I was able to successfully download it however, I have not installed it yet. Does anybody see any issues with using the original SYNC system VIN to perform SYNC v3.0 update? Of course after I install it I upload a 2017 ASBuilt file with my features. Thanks for your help in advance!