Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford MyTouch to Sync3 With CarPlay Upgrade

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
So, I was kinda sick of my Ford MyTouch and the slow response time after I saw a friend's 2016 FiST with the Sync 3 system. The thought occurred to me that I should try to swap the head units and see what happens - low and behold, it's a pretty easy swap. First off, if you want a Nav system you'll need a GPS antenna with a blue Fakra - otherwise it's just the screen and an appropriate USB hub. To get Apple CarPlay I had to purchase the latest and greatest USB hub - I'll run through the part numbers below.

First off, the results!
Starting it for the first time

Success!

So, I ended up buying a head unit from a wrecker off of www.car-part.com and thought I was getting a Navigation unit but it turns out, nope, no stock nav for this guy. Oh well, I have my phone anyways.

EDIT - Search criteria is : Ford Fiesta, 2016 ---> Amplifier/Radio ---> control panel, 6.5" (touch screen), Sony audio system OR control panel, 6.5" screen, w/o Sony audio system

EDIT 2 - Search criteria from user Sir_Stig states that going under TV ---> display, 6.5" touch screen, (display without module) also yields positive results for the screen and module

Here is the back of the unit I received - the part number that is on the heat sink is G1BT-14G370-BM
A friend's FiST WITH Navigation has the head unit part number G1BT-14G370-CL and I believe that is the correct part number for a Sync3 head unit with Nav. Sometimes the screen is separated from the heat sink (which I found out when trying to order them on ebay) and so I'll try to confirm the individual part numbers as well. UPDATE - I had the original screen crap out on me (wouldn't take inputs but I could operated it all by the center stack or steering wheel) and so I purchased G1BT-14G370-BL which is from a Fiesta and I confirmed it has Sync3 via VIN and a call to the local Ford.

Plugged in

USB Hub supplied from the wreckers
I also received the USB plug part number G3CT-14F014-BB. THIS IS NOT THE APPLE CAR PLAY HUB.

When doing the wiring connectors I found it easiest to just remove the center console entirely - if you're doing butt connectors you may get away with just playing in the center console cubby hole. It was too small for me to work my soldering iron in though so out it came.
Remove these screws after popping off the shifter trim and the climate control trim - definitely recommend using a plastic pry tool made for car panels as it makes the job so much easier.

Next is the small plastic pop pins at the front

I forgot to take pictures of them but there are two screws at the back of the console on the sides too - just slide the seats forward and they're easily accessed.

After the fasteners are removed, disconnect the wiring connecting the console the car. You'll see that the colour changes on the wires for the grey plug - thankfully the wiring on the car is the same colouring as the wiring on the new USB hub so finding out which was which was easy!

Ford MyTouch USB/SD card hub and connector

New USB Hub and wiring

Wiring transcribed from one connector to the other

Soldering them up!

New USB Hub - as I wanted the Apple CarPlay functionality for this upgrade I had to go and buy the latest and greatest USB hub which was plug and play once the wiring was sorted. The part number for the Apple CarPlay USB is HC3Z-19A387-B - there are a couple options as I think there is a Lincoln specific hub which as white lights... this one is blue and as my car is blue, I was happy with it.

So, grab the update file for the head unit from the RS Forum where it has Navigation and Non-Navigation specific files for the upgrade. I grabbed the Non-Navigation files and tossed them on a black USB. Afterwards, plug the USB into the car and then drive the car for a while as the update loads. Don't be surprised if the USB doesn't read right away on the screen - it's working in the background to get it's head straight. Took mine about 30 seconds or more to recognize the USB was plugged in.

After the upgraded USB hub and loading the new Sync3 V2.2 files I have Apple CarPlay which is quite convenient! I would consider this upgrade quite easy as you don't have to solder the wiring and removing the dash trim pieces is also quite easy. Worth while upgrade for 2014-15 users for sure!!!

As I thought I was getting a navigation head unit, I went and purchased the Blue Fakra GPS connector. Fortunately they're only like $10 and so it's not a lot out of pocket that I wasted. In any case, here are some pictures of where I placed it (it's still installed...).

Last edited:
Does the original hub not work with the updated headunits?
Also do you loose AUX?

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Does the original hub not work with the updated headunits?
Also do you loose AUX?
You do lose AUX - unfortunately.

The original hub does work with the head unit if you don't upgrade to Sync3 V2.2 for Apple CarPlay.

The reason I upgraded the hub was to get the functionality of CarPlay and Android Auto (if I had Android devices). If you don't want them, don't bother with the hub upgrade. It's about $70 or so for the USB upgrade.

You do lose AUX - unfortunately.

The original hub does work with the head unit if you don't upgrade to Sync3 V2.2 for Apple CarPlay.

The reason I upgraded the hub was to get the functionality of CarPlay and Android Auto (if I had Android devices). If you don't want them, don't bother with the hub upgrade. It's about $70 or so for the USB upgrade.
Damn, i use my AUX all the time so I need to keep it. Too bad since SYNC3 is way better than whats on my '15 right now.

Props to you! This is an awesome post. I've been jealous of my nephews 16 because he has sync3 which is way better. Now I can join him.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Props to you! This is an awesome post. I've been jealous of my nephews 16 because he has sync3 which is way better. Now I can join him.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
For only being a 2 year gap between the products Sync3 is much better than MFT - once you use the Sync3 system it's hard to go back to MFT!!

I'll be attempting the rear view camera at some point too I think... I need to pick the brain of my friend who did the upgrade on his '16. Fortunately he's coming down to my place for the install of his sub woofer and amp on Monday so I should have an answer in relatively short order.

Do you need to upgrade the USB hub if only using android auto? Nothing else needs to be done right? Just get your hands on the head unit and swap it in?

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Do you need to upgrade the USB hub if only using android auto? Nothing else needs to be done right? Just get your hands on the head unit and swap it in?
Apparently the USB hub upgrade is for Apple CarPlay only - if you're just using Android Auto then all you need to upgrade is the head unit.

Good luck!

Nice [emoji1303] job. If need any help with OE part numbers/interchange i work in a Ford dealer parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I called a ford parts department and told me that part number isn't available. Basically she said they wouldn't sell me that part. Are you able to get it? I'm working with a wrecker service but if it's not insanely expensive buying new might be a better option.

I called a ford parts department and told me that part number isn't available. Basically she said they wouldn't sell me that part. Are you able to get it? I'm working with a wrecker service but if it's not insanely expensive buying new might be a better option.
Sure can. Which part is it again ? The APIM or the screen ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
fantastic post! After spending yesterday with an RS with Sync 3, I was thinking about how to ditch MFT for Sync 3 instead. The system just works so much better and it is very easy to use.