Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford MyTouch to Sync3 With CarPlay Upgrade

Did your car originally have nav? This is interesting I think there was a post sometime before that required more parts, but looks like it's just the head unit and heat shield, correct? Also mind if I asked how much was it? I had looked for a head unit before but no luck as I was going to try the same. kudos, as I'm still searching, it's on my list of things to upgrade along with the seats.

I paid the big bucks from 4D tech for the upgrade, here is the Sync unit they sent me. HR3T-14G370-KBA. I paid big money because all the wrecker places I called offered no warranty on electronic parts. I found a dealer willing to sell me the APIM brand new for $680, but it probably came without programming. You will need to upgrade the USB hub, otherwise Sync 3 will not work. Yes I over paid, but I feel like the warranty through 4D was worth it.

http://i.imgur.com/JwoZ1QY.jpg

Ya, you'll never get warranty on a used part.

That's why my alternative is a cheaper one.
No they wouldn't even warranty the part, basically buy it sight unseen from the internet without knowing if the car sat in the rain with no windshield. Most places I found had a 10-30 day warranty on stuff.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
No they wouldn't even warranty the part, basically buy it sight unseen from the internet without knowing if the car sat in the rain with no windshield. Most places I found had a 10-30 day warranty on stuff.
Most places pull electronics from the cars and have them catalogued and on the shelf. At least good wreckers - they're in it to make money, they don't want to compromise parts that are potentially good.

I paid $125 +$35 shipping for the headunit and then around $65 for the USB upgrade to get Apple CarPlay.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Mind me asking how much you paid and how did you manage to find one? I've never had such luck. thanks
Have you looked at the start of this thread? I posted www.car-part.com as your best source

There are usually 6+ units available - LKQ seems to have an organized system but as I'm in Canada the USA wreckers wouldn't sell to me.

Good luck!

EDIT - I did have Nav originally, now I'll just use my phone if it comes to it. Or upgrade the unit again to a Nav option if it really bugs me.

I have a '16 with Sync 3 already. After all the hype I figured it would be really amazing...but mine really isn't that fast. Doesn't register finger pokes 33% of the time. When it does it takes a good second or more sometimes to move on to what I selected. MyFordTouch has to be insanely bad for this system to be an improvement... The good news is I barely use the touch screen. I keep my USB drive plugged in with music so I mainly use the steering wheel controls for skip and volume. I've always been partial to real buttons, especially in a car. Last thing you need is to try and make a quick adjustment and it lags out while you're driving.

I don't know if I just got a bad one or they improved them greatly since my car. Mine was one of the first with Sync 3 with a build date of September 2015.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
not just urs. Mine is a 16 and I've gotten used to sometimes waiting a minute or so for before Spotify will register a tap on the play button. But that may just be android auto

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

not just urs. Mine is a 16 and I've gotten used to sometimes waiting a minute or so for before Spotify will register a tap on the play button. But that may just be android auto

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Even outside of Android Auto. I don't use Android Auto that much in general. People were touting this system as if it had smartphone like reflexes. When I press something on my phone it selects and goes. Phones will slow down as it gets older and you put on newer updates the hardware can't handle as well. But Sync3 was brand new in September 2015 and it has been that slow for the past two years I've owned it. Maybe others have more patience for technology than I do and MFT really was that terrible, but to me the Sync 3 touchscreen is not quick to act. I do have the update installed for Android Auto that came in last December or so I think it was. That didn't do anything for the speed to me.

Some of the reviews of Sync 3 say it has a capacitive touchscreen. Smartphones have a capacitive touchscreen. Mine feels an awful lot like a resistive touchscreen (older and lower end Garmin GPS screens or those things you sign for with the Fedex and UPS guys have resistive screens). I've used the MFT system a handful of times and they both seem the same on screen type. I don't know if they gave me the right system with the wrong screen type maybe? Doesn't seem like it would be possible. I've thought about stopping by a dealer and testing out a Sync 3 system in a new car. But I never got around to it. Guess if my unit is defective I should get on it before my 36K mile warranty is out. If it's not defective I fail to see what all the hubub is about for it being fast...because it's not.

Have you looked at the start of this thread? I posted www.car-part.com as your best source

There are usually 6+ units available - LKQ seems to have an organized system but as I'm in Canada the USA wreckers wouldn't sell to me.

Good luck!

EDIT - I did have Nav originally, now I'll just use my phone if it comes to it. Or upgrade the unit again to a Nav option if it really bugs me.
Thanks, that's where i've checked to no avail. I must be calling it the wrong name.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to call. Was able to secure the headunit for $115 plus tax. Hopefully it's the right one.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Even outside of Android Auto. I don't use Android Auto that much in general. People were touting this system as if it had smartphone like reflexes. When I press something on my phone it selects and goes. Phones will slow down as it gets older and you put on newer updates the hardware can't handle as well. But Sync3 was brand new in September 2015 and it has been that slow for the past two years I've owned it. Maybe others have more patience for technology than I do and MFT really was that terrible, but to me the Sync 3 touchscreen is not quick to act. I do have the update installed for Android Auto that came in last December or so I think it was. That didn't do anything for the speed to me.

Some of the reviews of Sync 3 say it has a capacitive touchscreen. Smartphones have a capacitive touchscreen. Mine feels an awful lot like a resistive touchscreen (older and lower end Garmin GPS screens or those things you sign for with the Fedex and UPS guys have resistive screens). I've used the MFT system a handful of times and they both seem the same on screen type. I don't know if they gave me the right system with the wrong screen type maybe? Doesn't seem like it would be possible. I've thought about stopping by a dealer and testing out a Sync 3 system in a new car. But I never got around to it. Guess if my unit is defective I should get on it before my 36K mile warranty is out. If it's not defective I fail to see what all the hubub is about for it being fast...because it's not.

My Sync 3 is quite quick to respond to touch, pretty much immediate like my Android phone, it sounds like something might be wrong with yours. The only problem I've had is it sometimes doesn't recognize my USB drive. An on/off or a reset or two fixes it. My build date was 7/16 and I'm still on V. 1.0, the auto-update never finished and since I don't want to use AA I didn't update manually.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Then i'd say something is definitely wrong with your unit. Outside of AA my unit is very responsive. Supposedly version 3 of the software has been released. The same thread where we all hacked on v2.2 now has links to v3. A firmware upgrade might clear it up for you. I'm still on v2.2. I'm gonna wait till a few brave souls go v3 b4 i take the plunge.

What parts did you end up replacing vs re-using from your '14? Did you have to replace just the APIM or the touch screen as well?

I've been talking with a couple of wreckers and none of them will sell me the display+apim as one unit, and none of them come less than $300 total.

Thank you for documenting this. I am going to try to source the APIM module. Looking via car-part.com it is hard to find a screen with an APIM included.

I placed an order to LKQ for a screen found via car-part.com. I called 4-5 different listings on there and most were only the lcd. The guy at LKQ told me he could almost guarantee that it would come with the APIM that is attached to the back of the LCD. However, he could not provide pictures of what I would be getting. I paid $110 + $20 shipping. Once received I will document what I got as well as all of the part numbers that were listed. Getting this via car-part.com appears like it might be a pain.

I placed an order to LKQ for a screen found via car-part.com. I called 4-5 different listings on there and most were only the lcd. The guy at LKQ told me he could almost guarantee that it would come with the APIM that is attached to the back of the LCD. However, he could not provide pictures of what I would be getting. I paid $110 + $20 shipping. Once received I will document what I got as well as all of the part numbers that were listed. Getting this via car-part.com appears like it might be a pain.
Please keep this updated as I am seriously interested in doing this next.