Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Buying a fiesta soon ?

A1GATORZ

Hi all , my name is Alan & I live in Northern California . I am looking to buy a used Fiesta any day now . Was hoping to get a little of everybody's opinion on what prices , options & years to look for ? Such as , is there some years or models I should avoid ? What ,if any normal weak points I should look out for ? So far , I have my eye on very nice Red 2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback I4 Ti-VCT 6 speed automatic with 39,695 miles on it . It is at my local Ford dealer hear in Petaluma CA. They are asking $8900 for it . I am hoping to have time to test drive it this week .
One question I do have is I have noticed that some say 6 speed automatic & others say 6 speed automatic with Powershift . Can some one please explain the difference if any between the two ? What exactly is this Powershift ?
Any & all thoughts or advise you can send may way would be much appreciated !

THANK YOU !

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Welcome to the forum!

The only difference is: select shift has an up & down arrow to switch gears using your thumb on the shifter column. P R N D L, and the select shift says P R N D S. "S" stands for "sport", or "select shift."

Both are DCT (duel clutch transmission), and should in most cases be avoided.

Since you asked, I personally would not own a Fiesta, or Focus AGAIN if it had a DCT. Last I knew--Ford extended the transmission warranty to 100,000. The DCT is extremely problematic, and if I remember correctly, there's a class action lawsuit in the works over the DCT.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
There is only 1 kind of automatic for the Fiestas. It is a PowerShift dual clutch transmission. The transmission has been known to have reliability issues (link). This forum is for the ST sub-model, which has a different engine and a manual transmission and therefore we may not be too much help to you on what you are looking at. I personally can say that Sync 3 is much better than Sync 1, I do not know which year for the SE they changed over. Good luck.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There is only 1 kind of automatic for the Fiestas. It is a PowerShift dual clutch transmission. The transmission has been known to have reliability issues (link). This forum is for the ST sub-model, which has a different engine and a manual transmission and therefore we may not be too much help to you on what you are looking at. I personally can say that Sync 3 is much better than Sync 1, I do not know which year for the SE they changed over. Good luck.
I expected that link to lead to bunch *itching. But the opinion piece is instead, well done; just lacking in any technical detail and direct explanation.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...dual-clutch-transmission-right-but-is-it-too-
.................. Ford made the mistake of calling the PowerShift an automatic, without explaining to consumers that the transmission was really a manual transmission that is shifted automatically. That blunder brought with it a customer expectation that the PowerShift would change gears just as smoothly and behave exactly the same as a regular hydraulic automatic transmission.

So, when the PowerShift didn’t behave that way, Ford’s complaint lines lit up and its quality scores took a big hit. There were a few initial technical problems that Ford engineers quickly addressed with a combination of redesigned parts and software changes. .............
Whether the traditional hydraulic automatic with a lockup torque converter, or a manual transmission with computer shifting it, it will experience problems. What people don't realize is that the very nature of those problems change. The types of symptoms that automatics experience during failure-mode, are different from a manual. In addition, just because a manual is experiencing a problem, such as shuddering, doesn't mean that failure is imminent. On the other hand when you experiencing, shuddering, in an automatic, that *does* mean that failure is imminent.

Automatic transmissions when experiencing problems, will fail to engage the lockup torque converter, resulting with power or torque loss and lower fuel mileage. They may experience delayed shifts, no shifts, and may even slam into gear. That's the nature of an automatic.

Manual transmissions when experiencing problems, may shudder or grind when attempting to engage a gear; squeal. The RPMs may jump when attempting to use extra torque. (pretty much everything else, such as jerky shifting, is operator-related)

The automatic shift components of the automatically shifted manuals add additional possibilities for failure. But the problems experienced will be similar to that of a person that doesn't "know" how to properly slip a clutch and shift a manual.

Personally speaking, I have never bought an automatic transmission from *any* manufacturer and for the forseeable future, have no intent on ever buying one. I had over 320k on the prior manual and was required to replace ~ <$100 worth of easy-to-get-to parts (including fluid changes) in that time. When properly driven, a manual will be far, far, far more reliable than an automatic *and* will not suffer if you're a bit of a lead foot.