Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I've had enough with these crappy brakes

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have decided to avoid the Wilwood BBK. After some research I've found too many people having issues with it for track use. I'm sure it works fine on the street but so do the stock brakes...
Same here. [thumb]

IF I were looking for a fully track capable setup for frequent use, I would start saving now for an AP Racing kit, or hope that Stop Tech releases a kit for our cars in the future, which can be used with ANY 17" wheel (and maybe even some 16s) without needing spacers. ;)

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I believe he got them to fit without spacers by using the Rota Grid wheels in 17x8. ;)
Yes he did. Barely. In fact, at some point there was slight contact. I highly recommend quality spacers with the Stoptech kit. All this company does is make custom spacers (in Nevada) for hardcore applications: http://www.motorsport-tech.com

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'm averaging a track day a month. Have done 1 day on the wilwoods so far with Polymatrix E pads at Thunderhill. No issues so far but I think the pads are the limiting factor. Doing another day on them at Laguna in November. We'll see how they do there. When I pulled off track and shot the rotors with my temp gun, they were well over 800 degrees. This is with cooling ducts similar to Wood's pics above.

I'm happy with the brakes so far. I haven't had any issues with cracking but I've only done one day so far.
Be sure to let us know how the Nov. track day goes with the brakes. The WilWood price is too hard to pass up.

Yes he did. Barely. In fact, at some point there was slight contact. I highly recommend quality spacers with the Stoptech kit. All this company does is make custom spacers (in Nevada) for hardcore applications: http://www.motorsport-tech.com
I can vouch for motorsport-tech. Good stuff.

I definitely would not mind the Stoptech setup as I would go with their blue calipers but I'm not willing to get spacers just quite yet. Need to see how my 17x8 38mm fitment is first.

Sorry I'm late: yes I had the Stoptech's and despite a challenge to fit them (I think they were asleep at the wheel on the fitment R&D) they were unflappable. I just ran the standard street/strip pads that come with it and had zero issues on track with brake ducting. [MENTION=5793]Woods247[/MENTION] has them now, as he mentioned. In my case I wasted a lot of money fitting 5 different wheels (and then trying to re-sell them) before I got one that would clear without spacers and it was basically 1 business card of clearance. Actually was fine but when I took them off it looked like I got a small piece of debris between the spokes/caliper that made a slight rub at some point. I also ran extended studs (ARP) which [MENTION=5793]Woods247[/MENTION] is running now as well (speaking of, I have 4 extra spare studs I forgot to give you).

Hands down the Stoptechs are better for the track than the Wilwoods. They don't save weight though. They are almost identical to the overall stock front brake weight. That being said, there is way more rotor mass for thermal dissipation which is why they are so good on track. The Wilwoods saved a lot of weight and I could really feel the car was lighter on its feet on the street but I wouldn't run them on the track. Mine caught on fire due to seized pistons and Wilwood told me to pound sand.