Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installing New Smaller Wheels, Alignment Needed/Recommendations?

So I just bought some 16" Sparco Terra wheels with 205/50/16 Indy 500s (I oversized the sidewall, it cant hurt with these LA roads) and I plan on installing them Friday. I'm still stock suspension but I'm new to wrenching and after I get the wheels installed I'm thinking I'm gonna need an alignment right? New wheels would mean new alignment? And to add to that what should I have them set the car to? I was thinking of just going to whatever tire store is closest to me (BigO Is right around the block)and have them set it to what it should be? Or should I do a different alignment? I'm setting it up for DDin/canyon carving so any alignment recommendations would be appreciated!

Its probably a good idea if you havent had one in a while but no if you swap wheels back and forth and thats it you shouldnt need an alignment. I used to swap wheels out for autocross and get lazy and leave them on for a week after a race (subaru) and never had tire wear issues.

Waterfan

wheels/tires have nothing to do with alignment.
suspension components are what change your toe/camber/caster.
+1

It is convenient but not required to check/adjust alignment while getting new tires. Best practice is to check alignment ~1x year or whenever you hit something with significant force (curb, deep pothole, etc)

Waterfan

So I just bought some 16" Sparco Terra wheels with 205/50/16 Indy 500s (I oversized the sidewall, it cant hurt with these LA roads) and I plan on installing them Friday. I'm still stock suspension but I'm new to wrenching and after I get the wheels installed I'm thinking I'm gonna need an alignment right? New wheels would mean new alignment? And to add to that what should I have them set the car to? I was thinking of just going to whatever tire store is closest to me (BigO Is right around the block)and have them set it to what it should be? Or should I do a different alignment? I'm setting it up for DDin/canyon carving so any alignment recommendations would be appreciated!
More negative camber is a good thing for cornering. More than -1.5 degrees will accelerate wear to the inside of the tires.

I find that the stock specs are perfectly fine, if not optimal, for canyons. I need to get braver before I need more camber :)

YMMV

EDIT: there is probably more expert advice on alignment specs in the Tracking, Autocross subforum...