Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any special tools or tips needed for spring install?

Looking to do this tomorrow and was just curious if there were any special tools needed or tips that you all may be able to give me on the process for the Fist.

Will be doing it by myself.

Thanks for the help.

codestp202

You'll need a spring compressor to compress the stock springs to remove the top hat, as well as to compress the new springs to reinstall the top hat.

Very easy and quick job. The Rears will take maybe 15 minutes. It's very helpful to have an impact gun or at least a decent drill with the socket head on it to drive the spring compressor so you aren't sitting there doing it by hand. Just make sure you orient the springs properly. Also doesn't hurt to be very safe around the compressed springs. I know those things have a lot of force held back when they are compressed.

What this person said^. Be careful when using the spring compressor. If used incorrectly they can shoot off and cause some damage to you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Spring compressor as stated above and a pass-through ratchet/socket set for the top hats. couple of hours to do all four corners.

SrsBsns

A lot of places like Autozone will rent you the spring compressors for free. You have to put a deposit down, but you get it back when you return the part.

And yes, like others have said, please be careful when the spring is loaded. There is a lot of pressure on them.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
Get swiveling ratchet wrenchs for the nuts holding the shocks and brake reservoir.

OP
spdkills83
Thread Starter #8
Good deal thanks for the help. I have a set of spring compressors, and an impact already as well as some swivels. Just need to get the pass through set. I remember when I did it on my WRX some time ago that the top hats were a pain without a set of those.

Thanks again for the information it is appreciated. [driving]