Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 on stock tune

So a station near me sells E30 at the pump. I decided to fill 7/8ths of a tank with E30 to see how it does. E30 has an octane rating of 94.4. I can say the butt dyno reports a very noticeable improvement in response and power. I don't know if it is placebo or real, or some combination of both, but it does seem to have more power and is generally more responsive. No CEL, no downsides or side effects that I can determine. Traction control comes on through 3rd gear on demand. Figure that I had 2 to 3 gallons of 93 octane in the tank, the E30 probably blended down to something like E20 anyway, so not much above the E15 that is factory approved. I wonder if the factory tune has any KR with standard gas, or if the ethanol blend provides for some cooling effect to enhance performance. It would be great if the factory tune was secretly E30 or E85 enabled, but I doubt the fueling system is adapted for high ethanol %.

Another thought - Ex blends have less energy density (hydrocarbons) than regular gasoline, so running Ex without an adapting tune effectively, stoichiometrically, leans the fuel mixture. Less fuel C-H per O2 per fuel unit than gasoline. So wouldn't that effectively run hotter and more thermodynamically efficient, and more power, particularly under boost?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Hotter doesn't mean more efficient, especially if it starts to knock and pulls timing...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Holy cow. Why isn't this discussed more on this forum?
We have progressed from stage 2 or stage 3 tunes on stock parts, now to E30 on a stock tune. Pretty soon we will be discussing Big Turbo and methanol on a stock tune. LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

brbauer2

Also note, almost all blend pumps (E30 from the pump) that I have every come across mix E85 with 87 and not 91/93. Just something to think about. I would also still do an ethanol% test to see what it actually is coming out of the pump.