Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Beware of Bob Utter Ford in Sherman, TX

***Update***

2017/09/11 - A fellow forum member, re-rx7, sent out an SOS to one of the sales managers who promptly called me and made things right. Happy to report I did end up purchasing the car [cheers]

***Original post***

I had been going back and forth with one of the sales reps at Bob Utter Ford in Sherman, TX for the past couple of weeks before finally agreeing on an OTD price for a base Fiesta ST. When I arrived to the dealership everything was going really smooth up until the point when they told me the price we had agreed on was only valid if I financed a minimum of $12,000 thru them, something that was never mentioned in the emails. At first I thought this might be ok but after I finally got them to share with me the interest rate, I kindly declined and said I would instead like to pay cash. This is when they said too bad, you have to finance it or else you are not taking the car home. Needless to say, I came home without the car. [facepalm]

I am going to contact Ford as well as the BBB and let them know how these guys are operating.

Last edited:

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
The finance guy, Dustin McCormick, told me the only reason I got the interest rate I did was because they had down that I was getting GAP insurance. Dustin said without GAP insurance, the interest rate would have been higher.

I was dealing with Tommy at the time. They are liars, especially Dustin McCormick.

Let me know if you need anything.

I've had a similar experience in the DFW area at a different non-Ford dealer. They tried to tell me they'd give me less for my trade-in if I didn't use their financing, which was a ridiculous rate, 2-3% higher than what I could get anywhere else. I also declined and offered to pay cash while talking to them over the phone instead of financing at all and they told me sorry, someone is on the way to pick the car up already.

Looks like the shady "use our financing or nothing" is becoming a thing around here.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
The finance guy, Dustin McCormick, told me the only reason I got the interest rate I did was because they had down that I was getting GAP insurance. Dustin said without GAP insurance, the interest rate would have been higher.

I was dealing with Tommy at the time. They are liars, especially Dustin McCormick.

Yep, Dustin was the finance manager I was dealing with. Thanks for sharing your experience.

OP
P
Thread Starter #5
I've had a similar experience in the DFW area at a different non-Ford dealer. They tried to tell me they'd give me less for my trade-in if I didn't use their financing, which was a ridiculous rate, 2-3% higher than what I could get anywhere else. I also declined and offered to pay cash while talking to them over the phone instead of financing at all and they told me sorry, someone is on the way to pick the car up already.

Looks like the shady "use our financing or nothing" is becoming a thing around here.
Wow, sounds like a very similar experience to mine. Sucks I had to drive all the way from Dallas to Sherman. Burned up half a tank of gas and 3 hours of my time.

Sames Ford in Corpus Christi the same thing to me. They got me with gap insurance and an extended warranty, saying it was the only way they could get financing that low. After being fooled into buying it, I learned my lesson after that fiacso. The next time i went in, was gonna buy an RS and told the guy I'm not paying a down payment, gap, or extended warranty, and that I didn't wanna pay over mark. He said he could sell it for 500 under msrp. After that he went and talked to the finance manager for 5 minutes, then came and told me they put "aftermarket headlight, and a low jack system" in it and the price was 48,500. I told him those were stock and to take the "low jack" whatever crap off, and he just stared at me like a damn zombie. I told him never mind and will never go get a car from them again.

I had been going back and forth with one of the sales reps at Bob Utter Ford in Sherman, TX for the past couple of weeks before finally agreeing on an OTD price for a base Fiesta ST. When I arrived to the dealership everything was going really smooth up until the point when they told me the price we had agreed on was only valid if I financed a minimum of $12,000 thru them, something that was never mentioned in the emails. At first I thought this might be ok but after I finally got them to share with me the interest rate, I kindly declined and said I would instead like to pay cash. This is when they said too bad, you have to finance it or else you are not taking the car home. Needless to say, I came home without the car. [facepalm]

I am going to contact Ford as well as the BBB and let them know how these guys are operating.
So, if your paying cash why not just go ahead and do the finance thing, get the price you were told, get the car and just make one big payment and pay it off?

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
So, if your paying cash why not just go ahead and do the finance thing, get the price you were told, get the car and just make one big payment and pay it off?
I was going to pay with some of my own cash and borrow the rest using my credit union that has a better interest rate. I suppose I could have taken the loan from the dealership and refinanced it afterwards but honestly that's more than I care to deal with. I am most upset over the fact they never stated the price was only good if I used their financing terms. Had I known that I would have passed on it and kept searching somewhere else.

I went to Randal Noe in Terrel with a loan from the credit union already approved, but when it came to financing part their interest rate was a little higher than what I had through the credit union. I told them I was going through my bank and they asked what the interest rate I was getting and matched the interest rate. I didn't really care who financed it as long as I was getting the best interest rate. GAP insurance I believe was optional, but I do see how it can effect interest rate. It is nice to have if the car is totaled you are not left with debt from that car.

I tested out a few dealers in the DFW area since I live here. Didn't really have a great experience with any of them. Grapevine Ford was probably the worst. The salesman offered a certain deal over email so I came in to talk. When we met he went somewhere to get a final price which was just MSRP and they screwed up the options I wanted (I was factory ordering). Between not being able to figure out a few options and not being given the price they said over email I just went ahead and drove down to West, TX to Sykora Family Ford and put in my order there. I had planned to buy my car there if I had ended up staying in Waco since I had a good experience there test driving before. Small Ford dealer, but so much better service. At that point mine was the first ST they sold. Might still be the only one. I'll happily drive down there again for another car over buying from any of the dealers in this area. Overall I got $2k off between financing incentives and other stuff. I refinanced through my credit union a couple months later. I put $10k down on $25K OTD so I had a $15K loan at 3.65%. CU loan brought it down to 1.8%. Even if I had been approved for a CU loan prior to buying the car I probably still would have financed with Ford to get the incentive and then refinanced with my CU. Depends what the current incentive is. At that point it was $1K off or 0% for so many months.

me32

1000 Post Club
Sorry to hear about this, as i work at bob utter ford.
Might want to pass on the info to the owner. Im sure he doesnt want to lose business and get a bad reputation for not keeping there word.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Seems like a trend for Texas ford dealers. AutoNation Ford Gulf Freeway in Houston tried to bend me over when they couldn't find a bank to buy the loan from them. It was the classic 0% deal they offer everyone; that they talked me into and out of the CapitalOne loan I was already approved for. It was a major headache trying to deal with them over the phone, and it wasn't exactly easy for me to drive 1hr+ across town to settle it, with my work schedule. They tried to get me to resign to something ridiculous like 7.8% but I just went with the CapitalOne loan. I don't recommend that dealership to anyone.

Their finance guy Ziaur is a complete moron. And totally full of himself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
Sounds terrible that the Ford dealers in texas are not trust worthy.

OP
P
Thread Starter #17
Quick update - One of the sales managers did reach out to me early this morning and was sincerely apologetic. He said if I would still like to purchase the car he would make things right. I accepted his apology and am planning to go pick up the FiST this afternoon.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Might want to pass on the info to the owner. Im sure he doesnt want to lose business and get a bad reputation for not keeping there word.
It's too late, they've already lost business. Had Dustin not have pulled the shit he did--I would have purchased the second FiST in my sig from them as well.