Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Steering wheel, airbag and the battery

Disconnected my battery to be able to remove the airbag safely to remove the steering wheel to get it nicely re-upholstered. Followed a YouTube video that shows how to do all that but have the following question: do I leave the battery until the wheel gets back to me (about a week) or can/should I reconnect it the battery so that other stuff gets some juice? (I won't be turning the car on or anything in the meantime)...I just don't know if I will only lose my settings (radio, etc), or if this will mess up the ECU too.

Thanks.

Which video did you watch?

I'd like to know exactly how to remove my battery so that it's not a complete mystery when I'll inevitably need a new one.

Thank you!

It's not different from the other cars I've worked on; it just looked more involved with all of those extra bits.

The guy in the video removed the positive cable first - that wasn't smart LOL

Oh yeah, about the ECU...

Disconnecting the battery will not mess the ECU up at all.

Based upon what I've read, when you reconnect the battery, the ECU will reset itself based on your driving habits for the first fifty miles afterward.

Leaving the battery disconnected will not harm your car. In fact, if you're not going to be driving for an extended period of time, it would be most beneficial to leave the battery disconnected.

In fact, just this past weekend, I had to keep the battery from my previous vehicle hooked up to the charger. On the trickle charge setting, it took 48 hours to reach 100% again. I'd mistakenly left the battery hooked up to the car since the first week of May, and we're now approaching the middle of September.

Needless to say, since it's in storage, I'm going to leave the battery unhooked in my previous vehicle from now on!

OP
BlackLion
Thread Starter #7
Thanks! So am not worried bout the ecu anymore..

Yeah, so I guess I almost electrocuted myself by following the video! Took the positive end off, left the negative (yikes!). Should I take the negative off too at this point? When putting it back, what order?

Should be more careful with YouTube I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as one of terminals is unplugged, the circuit is not complete.

When unplugging the battery, unhook the negative terminal first; when reconnecting the battery, secure the positive terminal first.