Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST200 airbox vs stock box

I had this question for a while now (well mostly since Whoosh started listing the ST200 airbox, so recently), but wouldn't drilling a more or less 2 inches hole at the bottom of the stock airbox achieve more or less the same thing?

I'm even thinking, why not cut the damn thing to remove a good part of the bottom of the box? From what I have seen, a good part of the box is just empty space at the bottom. I would think that this would achieve something similar to what some FoST owners do by just removing the top of their box (or similar to the RS open box style)

What are your thoughts? Should I be the guinea pig?

Zormecteon

The idea of the mountune box is that it's air intake is taken from the fender well, not the engine compartment, thus getting colder, ergo denser air. ...

YMMV

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
The idea of the mountune box is that it's air intake is taken from the fender well, not the engine compartment, thus getting colder, ergo denser air. ...

YMMV
exactly
I like the Mountune box and have used it. The ST200 box listed on my site now is more than $50 less than Mountune, is 100% stock looking compared to Mountune, is plastic vs. aluminum which won't heat up like an oven.

Best of all there is no "hacking" compared to Post #1. Some people enjoy DIY work on their cars, others like factory fit parts. The ST200 box will fit like your OEM box does.

OP
K
Thread Starter #4
Oh I agree with you and I guess I did not elaborate enough there, but I want to "hack" something similar to the ST200 airbox. I either drill a hole in the bottom and run some fitting and a pipe to connect it like the stock ST200 or Mountune airbox OR I cut the stock box and either leave it open or install a metal place at the bottom with a hose coming out, so I guess a mix between the ST200 and Mountune.

And while I'm really interested in your ST200 airbox ron, it's 245, plus shipping plus I live in Canada, so we're talking 340CAD. Very good price compared to the competition and I will soon buy a few things from you as you are pretty much the cheapest, but I'm looking at options that could do something very similar.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I had a 2" hole at the bottom of the USDM airbox before I could get my hands on a ST200 airbox. Here's a photo comparison. Beyond that it wasn't worth the trouble for me to mod the stock air box than what the ST200 air box provided.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Oh I agree with you and I guess I did not elaborate enough there, but I want to "hack" something similar to the ST200 airbox. I either drill a hole in the bottom and run some fitting and a pipe to connect it like the stock ST200 or Mountune airbox OR I cut the stock box and either leave it open or install a metal place at the bottom with a hose coming out, so I guess a mix between the ST200 and Mountune.

And while I'm really interested in your ST200 airbox ron, it's 245, plus shipping plus I live in Canada, so we're talking 340CAD. Very good price compared to the competition and I will soon buy a few things from you as you are pretty much the cheapest, but I'm looking at options that could do something very similar.
the ST200 is FREE SHIPPING in the US
I can work with you on shipping to Canada if you don't have a US address for pick up

Do we have any hard data as far as power gains with the updated air box? I'm sure there will be colder and denser air coming in, but I am curious about what kind of power increases that cold air translates to.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Do we have any hard data as far as power gains with the updated air box? I'm sure there will be colder and denser air coming in, but I am curious about what kind of power increases that cold air translates to.
I don't think the airbox itself is a 20hp bolt on but its an airflow enhancement as described by Mountune. I'm not certain if the Pro Alloy manufactured piece (Mountune) was released first or the ST200 OEM air box, either way I'm fairly sure the performance is very close.

From Mountune regarding their upgraded lower box

The mountune Fiesta ST Induction Upgrade includes a uniquely constructed aluminum air box with a secondary cold air feed point. Additionally, the air box has been engineered with features that reduce the delta pressure drop by 2kPa that when coupled with the included mountune high flow air filter, provide a 21% increase in airflow. The mountune Fiesta ST Induction Upgrade provides the foundation for further performance upgrades with an engineered approach that retains the OE appearance and reliability while providing a rich, deep induction note that reflects performance.

I'm not certain if the Pro Alloy manufactured piece (Mountune) was released first or the ST200 OEM air box, either way I'm fairly sure the performance is very close.
The Mountune airbox was available in the U.K. a fair while before the ST200 was released.
I also did a home made modification with 2" hose. The biggest difference has been a reduction in intake temps when stationary.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
The Mountune airbox was available in the U.K. a fair while before the ST200 was released.
I also did a home made modification with 2" hose. The biggest difference has been a reduction in intake temps when stationary.
thanks for chiming in.
I remember reading something like before. Just wasn't 100% sure which came first.

koozy

3000 Post Club
" Ford and Mountune worked very closely together when developing the original Mountune kit – to such an extent in fact that, according to the ST200’s programme chief, the intellectual property rights remained with Ford. This allowed it to easily implement a similar strategy of intake mods... Mountune remains Ford’s officially endorsed partner, however, so don’t think there’s been a falling out."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/ford/ford-fiesta-st200-2016-review/

So compared to the stock box, this is much better, right? I don't want to get an aftermarket intake for my '16 because you need to buy the 2015 ford evap hose to get it to not throw a code. Can I buy this box and swap out my stock box and be done with it?

koozy

3000 Post Club