Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Toyota Yaris GRMN...

It's being driven and discussed. It's got approximately 210 h.p. from a supercharged 1.8 liter engine. 0-62 mph in 6.3 seconds. It has a torsen differential, steering wheel directly from the GT86, upgraded seats etc. Bad news for them is only 400 units planned! I like what I have seen. But, the name GRMN is short for "Gazoo Racing Masters of Nurburgring" . Yeah. WTF is that supposed to motivate me to do? Search YouTube. It's certainly interesting. If almost nonexistent.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
That's what I heard people say about the Fiesta ST. It's too bad the Yaris in North America is such a dull tool. It's a very light package.

AzNightmare

Is this coming to North America? Kind of late now, but it would have been awesome to see some subcompact rivalry between this and the FiST.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
we need a hot hatch revival. the Yaris is popular for completely different reasons in every country that's not ours.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
^ agreed! Google the new Suzuki Swift. another sweet lil package we won't be getting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
Is this coming to North America? Kind of late now, but it would have been awesome to see some subcompact rivalry between this and the FiST.
No. Toyota is building only 400 of them. So, it isn't going to exist in any real sense, even where it will be offered. It might be fun to see if the supercharger and transaxle have been pulled from other platforms in Toyotas global portfolio.

OP
S
Thread Starter #8
^ agreed! Google the new Suzuki Swift. another sweet lil package we won't be getting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
We won't be seeing any Suzuki cars in North America again soon or most likely ever. But, we might see a few Renault products federalised and offered here as Mitsubishi's. Now that Nissan controls Mitsubishi motors. The Clio and Megane are two that come to mind.

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
we need a hot hatch revival. the Yaris is popular for completely different reasons in every country that's not ours.
We have been experiencing a hot hatch revival for the last four years. I think that hot hatches are so relatively common in many areas now that it could be the explanation for why people don't wave back at us when we acknowledge them on the road. It's as good a reason as I can determine. Hot hatches,in general, are pretty much common. In urban and suburban areas.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
No. Toyota is building only 400 of them. So, it isn't going to exist in any real sense, even where it will be offered. It might be fun to see if the supercharger and transaxle have been pulled from other platforms in Toyotas global portfolio.
Lotus Elise.

OP
S
Thread Starter #13
You are correct,sir! I was thinking the first gen MR2. Which might be a source of the manifold and serpentine drives for a homemade version of this! Mega squirt programmable EFI would be perfect for it. The transaxle would be a huge issue.

AzNightmare

I'm glad we fanboy our own cars. That's what this forum is about. But no one outside of a Fiesta owner gives a rats ass between a base Fiesta and a Yaris or a Fit. It's all the same crap... lol...

OP
S
Thread Starter #16
I'm glad we fanboy our own cars. That's what this forum is about. But no one outside of a Fiesta owner gives a rats ass between a base Fiesta and a Yaris or a Fit. It's all the same crap... lol...
We give a crap. And I don't view the basic Fiesta as bad. I also don't look down on Fit owners who have modified their Fits. Same thing with Fiat 500 Abarths, Mazda 2, Mazda 3, etc. As a single make hot hatches are a tiny segment. As a group we are actually quite visible and well represented. I have thought about contacting a Fiat 500 Abarth forum to discuss a possible fall drive somewhere! Three of four Fiesta STs and the same of Abarths might be fun!

I have driven the base fiesta and would never own one personally. If me32 (and others) likes it than great for them. Whether its base model yaris or fiesta, I would pass. So more for you guys! But if you can't see the irony you gotta get your eyes checked...lol... there's some strange pride here. Most people don't even blink because we're driving STs, yet we're bashing the Toyota (the Yaris) for trying to make a competitive hot hatch that would be analgous or the hot hatch for our base model fiesta (what we drive, the ST!). Clearly we think we're better than others or something... fanboys gonna be fanboys

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^For some of us (or maybe only me?), it is NOT just about the 'fanboyism' of the individual models being compared (and I don't care IF that stance makes me a 'pariah' on here or not! [wink]).

I am certainly NOT going to support a competitor to my favorite on the world market, just like I am NOT going to support a competitor to my favorite on the WRC (whose ass we are KICKING ROYALLY as of now, BTW, in that said championship this year, despite the billion$$ of Camry/Corolla profit buck$ they throw into their 'Team Gazoo' efforts!! [:)] [cool]).

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Toyota Launches its New Performance Sub-Brand

"What is probably most exciting for North American consumers is the 86 GR prototype the company is working on".

The Supercharged Toyota Yaris GRMN Looks Like an Adorable Hoot

"Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it's coming to America, which is a real shame. We'd love to have a car that competes with the Fiesta ST* from Toyota here in the states. We'd also love to have a competitor with a supercharger instead of a turbo. Everyone has a turbo."

*Published before it was announced next gen Fiesta ST will not be coming to NA!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Toyota Launches its New Performance Sub-Brand

"What is probably most exciting for North American consumers is the 86 GR prototype the company is working on".

The Supercharged Toyota Yaris GRMN Looks Like an Adorable Hoot

"Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it's coming to America, which is a real shame. We'd love to have a car that competes with the Fiesta ST* from Toyota here in the states. We'd also love to have a competitor with a supercharger instead of a turbo. Everyone has a turbo."

*Published before it was announced next gen Fiesta ST will not be coming to NA!
I will admit that I like the; wheels, seats, and steering wheel (but STILL not alcantara!) style over ours, and the two vs. four doors, but the admiration stops there, even IF I were being totally objective about my opinions. ;)