Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pilot Sport A/S 3+, V or W rating?

Time for new shoes and being in the PNW I am opting for UHP All Seasons. The PS A/S 3+ are on sale for about $490 a set for the V rated model and $550 for the W rated. My car will never see the top speeds for either ratings but I do plan to do some auto cross on them next summer. Is it worth the extra 60 bucks for the W's? Will they potentially take aggressive track day heat better?

Time for new shoes and being in the PNW I am opting for UHP All Seasons. The PS A/S 3+ are on sale for about $490 a set for the V rated model and $550 for the W rated. My car will never see the top speeds for either ratings but I do plan to do some auto cross on them next summer. Is it worth the extra 60 bucks for the W's? Will they potentially take aggressive track day heat better?
Live in the PNW as well. Care to share where you found the deal?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You found them in our OEM/factory SIZE (205/40-17) in the W/Y rating, or are they another size like 205/45-17??

As far as I've ever researched, they are ONLY made in the H/V rating in our actual 205/40-17 size. [???:)]
(Unless Michelin just started producing them in those speed ratings in our size recently. [dunno])

BTW; the V rated models might actually be better for autocross, and only slightly worse at open track than the W/Y rated donuts.
But personally, I would not do EITHER on these tires since you WILL 'chunk' and chew up a very 'tready'/siped all season like these VERY quickly driving them in these events, even if the ambient temps do not get too crazy up there. [:(]

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #4
Live in the PNW as well. Care to share where you found the deal?
Discount Tire has them, and is running a deal on Michelin tires through 9/30 for a $70 mail-in rebate on a set. So my math is based on post-discount price, not including any taxes and fees.

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #5
You found them in our OEM/factory SIZE (205/40-17) in the W/Y rating, or are they another size like 205/45-17??

As far as I've ever researched, they are ONLY made in the H/V rating in our actual 205/40-17 size. [???:)]
(Unless Michelin just started producing them in those speed ratings in our size recently. [dunno])

BTW; the V rated models might actually be better for autocross, and only slightly worse at open track than the W/Y rated donuts.
But personally, I would not do EITHER on these tires since you WILL 'chunk' and chew up a very 'tready'/siped all season like these VERY quickly driving them in these events, even if the ambient temps do not get too crazy up there. [:(]
205/45 17

If you have a Costco membership, you can get the $70 discount plus installation for $0.01 per tire.
With that said, I don't trust Costco too much and they don't like to put tires on aftermarket wheels. Call them first as you may have a nice Costco tire center near you that will do aftermarket wheels.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, yeah that's what I thought, since our factory size is NOT popular enough, or factory installed for almost any other ride but ours, for them to warrant now making them available (although B-stone/Firestone was cool enough to release their Indy 500 in our size. :) ).

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #8
If you have a Costco membership, you can get the $70 discount plus installation for $0.01 per tire.
With that said, I don't trust Costco too much and they don't like to put tires on aftermarket wheels. Call them first as you may have a nice Costco tire center near you that will do aftermarket wheels.
Good to know. I am a Costco member and I am still on the stock Rados.

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #9
OK, yeah that's what I thought, since our factory size is NOT popular enough, or factory installed for almost any other ride but ours, for them to warrant now making them available (although B-stone/Firestone was cool enough to release their Indy 500 in our size. :) ).
I am actually looking forward to having a bit more sidewall to smooth out the daily ride. Roads in the Seattle area are pretty rough. The 40's bang a lot and I worry about potholes and stuff.

I was seriously considering the Indys but we are supposedly predicted to have another rough winter and I have to drive all over for work in pretty much any weather. I did ok last year on the RE050As but there were some squirrely moments. I think I'd rather spend the extra dough for A/S tires.

Zormecteon

I'm down in Kelso and am on my second set of PS A3s.. .. I won't put anything else on ... (stock size aftermarket wheels). I crashed my Focus with Ultra High Performance Summer only type tires BECAUSE they have NO GRIP in even very light snow. .. We had like 1/2 an inch and they couldn't grip enough to stop... or turn. In western Washington I believe the Michelins are the way to go..Right after I bought my last set the as3+ came out in our size... Get those.

My 2¢ YMMV

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I ordered my car specifically with the V-rated PS AS/3s over the Potenzas knowing I was getting a pure MAX summer wheel/200 tread wear tire setup almost immediately after taking delivery.
I will use them for a late fall through early spring setup until I can afford a dedicated winter/working on rallies type setup.

I am retired, so do not have to worry about getting out and about in deep snow every winter day. ;)

OP
Stormy
Thread Starter #12
I'm down in Kelso and am on my second set of PS A3s.. .. I won't put anything else on ... (stock size aftermarket wheels). I crashed my Focus with Ultra High Performance Summer only type tires BECAUSE they have NO GRIP in even very light snow. .. We had like 1/2 an inch and they couldn't grip enough to stop... or turn. In western Washington I believe the Michelins are the way to go..Right after I bought my last set the as3+ came out in our size... Get those.

My 2¢ YMMV
Thanks. Good to know. A bunch of FoST guys run the 3+ over here and highly recommend them, which is what got me shopping.