Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trouble getting into 1st gear

Has anyone ever had issues getting into 1st gear from a dead stop? I was sitting at a light in traffic today, and as I went to put the car into 1st, it would only go about half way in. I went from half-1st to neutral several times and couldn't get it. I panicked and tried engaging the clutch while in "half-1st" and it bounced back to neutral. Finally it went into 1st, but I'm not sure what happened here. Unfortunately this isn't the first time it happened, but definitely the worst time. I don't downshift into 2nd often, but when I do, it also bounces back into neutral at times. I'm not sure if I should blame this on practice (although this is my 3rd manual car..) or a similar issue to getting into 1st gear from a stop.

Any experience with this? I'm the only owner who has babied it its entire 1070 mile life. 2017. I really can't imagine the linkage needs adjusting already..

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have the 1st gear symptom occasionally from a dead stop. Usually putting it into 2nd then into 1st (clutch depressed whole time) lets me get it in. Never had the 2nd gear symptom. I'd say this happens 2% of the time? It hasn't gotten any better or worse over time, hitting about 20k miles on a 2016. I do wonder about those folks who praise the shifter feel in these cars; mine has never felt "smooth" or "refined" but I do consider it adequate. (I have had a mountune RMM for a long time, it made no change)

I see this issue from time with the Fiesta and remember it happening on my old Tacoma as well. One solution is going 2nd to 1st.

I have also felt this in reverse on both cars. I find that letting the clutch pedal out a little while lightly pressing the car into gear will allow it to slide in, normally just before the clutch engages. Once I feel it slide in I immediately press the clutch to the floor and then release as normal.

Not sure about the bouncing into neutral from 2nd. I blip the throttle and downshift to 2nd all the time and have never had this issue. (I just love to hear that nice occasional pop from the exhaust, turbo back exhaust FTW [driving])

I'm definitely not an expert but have the same issue from time to time. From what I understand it has to do with worn synchro gears. Folks who know about these things have said if you have this issue *never* attempt to "force" it into gear. Also, to reduce wear on the 2nd gear synchro, don't shift into 2nd then 1st. Go from, say, 5th to 1st. As I said, I'm no expert but do have the issue as well. AFAIK a transmission rebuild would solve the issue, but until then, use the 5th to 1st trick. Just be careful; if you're on the track, this could be disastrous. Patience.

OP
blongo804
Thread Starter #6
I have the 1st gear symptom occasionally from a dead stop. Usually putting it into 2nd then into 1st (clutch depressed whole time) lets me get it in. Never had the 2nd gear symptom. I'd say this happens 2% of the time? It hasn't gotten any better or worse over time, hitting about 20k miles on a 2016. I do wonder about those folks who praise the shifter feel in these cars; mine has never felt "smooth" or "refined" but I do consider it adequate. (I have had a mountune RMM for a long time, it made no change)
After more testing yesterday, it does seem it may have been user error (on the 3 - 2 downshift). I also have a RMM (AWR 88a). Honestly my shifter feels awesome besides the 1st gear wall I ran into yesterday.
Have this issue, and putting it into 2nd then 1st solves it everytime.
I see this issue from time with the Fiesta and remember it happening on my old Tacoma as well. One solution is going 2nd to 1st.

I have also felt this in reverse on both cars. I find that letting the clutch pedal out a little while lightly pressing the car into gear will allow it to slide in, normally just before the clutch engages. Once I feel it slide in I immediately press the clutch to the floor and then release as normal.

Not sure about the bouncing into neutral from 2nd. I blip the throttle and downshift to 2nd all the time and have never had this issue. (I just love to hear that nice occasional pop from the exhaust, turbo back exhaust FTW [driving])
See above. I did several 3 to 2 downshifts yesterday with success. I blame this on user error, but not my 1st gear wall I ran into. Thanks for the tips.

I'm definitely not an expert but have the same issue from time to time. From what I understand it has to do with worn synchro gears. Folks who know about these things have said if you have this issue *never* attempt to "force" it into gear. Also, to reduce wear on the 2nd gear synchro, don't shift into 2nd then 1st. Go from, say, 5th to 1st. As I said, I'm no expert but do have the issue as well. AFAIK a transmission rebuild would solve the issue, but until then, use the 5th to 1st trick. Just be careful; if you're on the track, this could be disastrous. Patience.
Worn synchros in give or take 1000 miles? I certainly hope not. If a trans replacement is needed in the future, so be it. I love the car regardless and would take several transmissions (replaced under warranty of course) before I had enough of it. In 1075 miles, it's easily my most favorite to drive car (from 300whp Legacy GT, to MK3 Focus ST, to supercharged SVT Focus..although this one is a close 2nd).

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll see what 5th to 1st does the next time I run into this.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. 2nd to 1st definitely does the trick.

I'm no mechanic but I always thought it had to do with the locking mechanism for reverse gear. To me the stick feels like it gets stuck on its way by.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has anyone ever had issues getting into 1st gear from a dead stop? I was sitting at a light in traffic today, and as I went to put the car into 1st, it would only go about half way in. I went from half-1st to neutral several times and couldn't get it. I panicked and tried engaging the clutch while in "half-1st" and it bounced back to neutral. Finally it went into 1st, but I'm not sure what happened here. Unfortunately this isn't the first time it happened, but definitely the worst time. I don't downshift into 2nd often, but when I do, it also bounces back into neutral at times. I'm not sure if I should blame this on practice (although this is my 3rd manual car..) or a similar issue to getting into 1st gear from a stop.

Any experience with this? I'm the only owner who has babied it its entire 1070 mile life. 2017. I really can't imagine the linkage needs adjusting already..
I'd look at the shifter cable adjustment. They can stretch.

Happens to me every once in a while, it happened once in reverse too where it won’t go in but if I put it back to neutral then depress the clutch and back to first it will go in easy. A few days ago i tried to put it in first and it didn’t go all the way in and I said f it and went and it popped out back to neutral lol. Tranny no noises or issues besides that every once in a while.

Happens to me every once in a while, it happened once in reverse too where it won’t go in but if I put it back to neutral then depress the clutch and back to first it will go in easy. A few days ago i tried to put it in first and it didn’t go all the way in and I said f it and went and it popped out back to neutral lol. Tranny no noises or issues besides that every once in a while.
Likely worn synchros. Very common. Just be sure never to force it into gear. If it won't go in, keep the clutch in, shift back to N, then into 3 or 5, then back to 1. Just don't go 1-2, as the extra wear on the 2 synchro isn't worth it.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Likely worn synchros. Very common. Just be sure never to force it into gear. If it won't go in, keep the clutch in, shift back to N, then into 3 or 5, then back to 1. Just don't go 1-2, as the extra wear on the 2 synchro isn't worth it.
So you're telling me I had worn synchros at triple digit miles? Mine was brand new and did it. Highly unlikely

Back the neutral clutch out then back in always does the trick