Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any commercially available Rear seat delete kits out there?

Been looking and coming up dry. I know its possible to DIY but I live in an apartment and doing fabrication on the street is a good way to get the cops called on me

Could just strip the rear seats and belts out and get some carpet that is same to cover the bare metal, although some think the look is badass with bare metal it will be louder as some have mentioned

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
No, there isn't. I'm thinking about finding a decent stereo install shop and talk to their fiberglass man about putting something together with fiberglass, light carpet, and AlumCorr or some sort of panel that'll support a heavy track-day box or a decent sized dog. I don't want to do something with 2x4 and plywood b/c I care about the weight more than I should.

SrsBsns

Mkah does this for BMW. They make some cool looking delete kits and panels. I wonder if they could take on something new.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No, there isn't. I'm thinking about finding a decent stereo install shop and talk to their fiberglass man about putting something together with fiberglass, light carpet, and AlumCorr or some sort of panel that'll support a heavy track-day box or a decent sized dog. I don't want to do something with 2x4 and plywood b/c I care about the weight more than I should.
I am thinking about getting some of that 'egg crate' style, sound absorbing foam from a sound studio supply place/Guitar Center, and just double-side 3M automotive taping it everywhere behind the front seats.
That will weigh less than any of the thick rubberized, stereo supply sound deadening materials.
Don't know how much that stuff costs though. [dunno]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I am thinking about getting some of that 'egg crate' style, sound absorbing foam from a sound studio supply place/Guitar Center, and just double-side 3M automotive taping it everywhere behind the front seats.
That will weigh less than any of the thick rubberized, stereo supply sound deadening materials.
What you want is mass-damping foam - which the egg crate foam does not do. All the egg crate foam does is break absorb incoming sound, it won't do anything to stop the sheet metal from vibrating like a drum. You can go to lowes/home depot and get dryer ducting foam roll - it's roll-on foam with a silver backer, like halfway between egg crate and stereo shop dampener (so its lighter but it works) and it's pretty cheap. You'll still want to get a roller to apply it and it's an absolute pain in the nuggets to remove - so be sure about this.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What you want is mass-damping foam - which the egg crate foam does not do. All the egg crate foam does is break absorb incoming sound, it won't do anything to stop the sheet metal from vibrating like a drum. You can go to lowes/home depot and get dryer ducting foam roll - it's roll-on foam with a silver backer, like halfway between egg crate and stereo shop dampener (so its lighter but it works) and it's pretty cheap. You'll still want to get a roller to apply it and it's an absolute pain in the nuggets to remove - so be sure about this.
I'm guessing that without FULL/COMPLETE contact (like using the 3M double-sided automotive grade tape at multiple points) this just will not work to damp the metal drum effect, correct? (So that I do not have to spend many days stripping this stuff if it ever needs to be removed.)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm guessing that without FULL/COMPLETE contact (like using the 3M double-sided automotive grade tape at multiple points) this just will not work to damp the metal drum effect, correct? (So that I do not have to spend many days stripping this stuff if it ever needs to be removed.)
If you just want to damp the resonance of vibrating sheet metal you can do strips of it. If you want total noise blockage you need a full layer. After a full layer, knocking on sheet metal sounds like your knocking on armor plate ;)

I’ve lined server room doors with the stuff to cancel secondary resonance and afterwards the hollow fire door sounds like a vault. You can still hear fan noise but the hum is higher pitched and easier to ignore. Deep (under 120hz) resonance is harder to ignore because of how well it penetrates and can create secondary vibration. That’s why some people’s exhaust drone seems worse after something like a vibrant ultra quiet - it kills off the high frequencies just leaving that deep ear crushing tone with no highs to distract. I used a similar product atop the wheel wells in my grand national and it killed the sound of the little rubber “pills” flinging off my tires on the freeway after a day at the strip.

HBEcoBeaST

what you want to do is get whatever cheap KillMat or Dyna Mat off Amazon and cover all the large flat panels. Even just 25-40% coverage makes a big difference. THEN you put the egg crate foam over that. It REALLY helps with wind, tire and roof rack noise. I have my back seat down a lot and even just randomly placed 1' x 1' sections of the foam in the rear footwells and on the back of the folded down seat really helped with road noise. After I stuck a few pieces of the KillMat in the spare tire area it made it even better.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
what you want to do is get whatever cheap KillMat or Dyna Mat off Amazon and cover all the large flat panels. Even just 25-40% coverage makes a big difference. THEN you put the egg crate foam over that. It REALLY helps with wind, tire and roof rack noise. I have my back seat down a lot and even just randomly placed 1' x 1' sections of the foam in the rear footwells and on the back of the folded down seat really helped with road noise. After I stuck a few pieces of the KillMat in the spare tire area it made it even better.
I found a spot of resonance in the rear hatch above the rear exhaust hangers. Switching to softer rear hanger helped a bit, as did some ducting insulation in there.