Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Buying new wheels question

Hey guys I'm buying some new wheels for my 2017 fist, do I need to also buy tha tpms for them aswell if my local firestone will be installing them??

TDavis

1000 Post Club
If you're reusing your tires that came on your stock wheels you can use the TPMS sensors that are in those and just swap them onto the new wheels.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply going to be getting the sparco assessto gara! Hope they are nice

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I just went through this for my aftermarket wheels, which were stock size so I was reusing the tires. Most people transfer the TPMS over according to the checking I did. Shop 1 said I needed to buy new TPMS, shop 2 said they'd transfer them as long as they were fairly new, so I went with shop 2 to save the cost, around $200 for new TPMS as I recall. Shop 2 was also a high-end performance tire shop that worked mostly on German exotic cars.
After the job was done, two of the sensors couldn't be detected by the Ford TPMS reset tool and the TPMS light stayed on. After lots of saying they'd never broken one, they finally decided they had broken one (and then two), and they bought and installed two new ones. Then they had to get some info from Ford to allow them to register the new ones to the car. All this was in a second visit that took hours.
In hindsight, it seems not unreasonable for Shop 1 to have required new ones. I checked with some mechanic friends afterwards, and they said it's not unusual to break TPMS sensors when transferring them. I would try to do it without buying new ones, but just wanted to share this. It was a bit of an ordeal, but four months later all's well and I'm enjoying my new wheels.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Our sensors unscrew from the valve stems. So if they break them, they are some sort of special.

Buy some Rota Grid Classics from 18wheels.com . 16x8+20 offset. Another forum member and I have them. I have a 45" sidewall tire and he has 40. They fit well no rubs much poke.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do not mind the cluster light, so I chose to not even bother with the TPMS sensors in my aftermarket, summer wheel setup.

Just went right through my state's draconian inspection WITH that dash light shining BRIGHT.
I even convinced the shop to not pull the wheels off like they are supposed to do (for rotor/pad inspection as I only have 5500 miles on the odo, so they agreed), to save the lug well paint on my 1.2s, so I could care less, and would rather not even have to deal with buying and setting them, etc. ;)

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
they pull ur wheels off for inspection?! no way I would let that happen. I'd have to get a set of steelies just for inspection lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
they pull ur wheels off for inspection?! no way I would let that happen. I'd have to get a set of steelies just for inspection lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yeah, they are supposed to take a front from one side, and a rear from the other side off to check for brake fluid/axle fluid leaks and check the pad/rotor wear.
WE also have to pay for this out of OUR pockets EVERY SINGLE YEAR (along with a registration fee every year) since this illustrious state insists on privatizing EVERYTHING.

I swear, there is a payola/pay-to-play deal going on between the right wing state legislators and the shop and service station owners lobby in Pennsyltuckey! [mad]

I told them I only have 5500 miles from bought new, so they agreed ahead of time to forego the wheel removal part, and just look through the 1.2 spokes to check the pads/rotors.
Next year I am going to throw on the factory wheels if they tell me that 10K-12K miles are too many to let me slide again, and tell them to use at least a torque stick when they put them back on (or just hand tighten the lugs and I will torque wrench them on the spot myself!). ;)

Yeah, they are supposed to take a front from one side, and a rear from the other side off to check for brake fluid/axle fluid leaks and check the pad/rotor wear.
WE also have to pay for this out of OUR pockets EVERY SINGLE YEAR (along with a registration fee every year) since this illustrious COMMONWEALTH insists on privatizing EVERYTHING.

I swear, there is a payola/pay-to-play deal going on between the right wing state legislators and the shop and service station owners lobby in Pennsyltuckey! [mad]
registration=straight bullshit
yearly inspection I am quite fine with. go to a state where they don't have it, and you'll see some of the trash vehicles you're sharing the road with.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
registration=straight bullshit
yearly inspection I am quite fine with. go to a state where they don't have it, and you'll see some of the trash vehicles you're sharing the road with.
I also would not mind as much if the fees were not so much (like set at $40.00 MAX), AND IF they were REQUIRED BY LAW to HAND TORQUE the lug nuts/bolts back onto the wheels they removed, NOT 'knuckle-dragged' back on with a 500 lb. ft. air gun, held onto the lug even after it's clutch lets loose, wielded by an inked troglodyte. [mad]

BTW; When I travel outside of my overly elitist-wealthy area in this state, I STILL see many 'peckerwood' neglected vehicles which should not be on the road anyway, so maybe our draconian privatized system is not all that great?

OP; I'm sorry we pulled this thread so far off topic, and I will not any more. [:(]

So I've been working in a garage for 6 out of the last 10 years and I have broken maybe 3 TPMS sensors in that entire time. If the shop you took it to said that they break often, you need to go to a better shop.

OP
D
Thread Starter #15
Noob question here but they are 42mm offset will this be okay with the stock potenza tires??

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
So I've been working in a garage for 6 out of the last 10 years and I have broken maybe 3 TPMS sensors in that entire time. If the shop you took it to said that they break often, you need to go to a better shop.
Did that good record of not breaking them include moving them to aftermarket wheels, or was that just in normal tire dismounting/mounting? I was wondering if they're more likely to break when you move them to another wheel and reinstall.

Did that good record of not breaking them include moving them to aftermarket wheels, or was that just in normal tire dismounting/mounting? I was wondering if they're more likely to break when you move them to another wheel and reinstall.
So every single time you do tires you need to replace the service kits on any TPMS sensor; which requires removing the sensor, replacing that kit and then reinstalling. Otherwise you can get corrosion, leaks, dry rot, etc. I have switch a number of sensors from factory wheels to aftermarket and it never been an issue.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
So every single time you do tires you need to replace the service kits on any TPMS sensor; which requires removing the sensor, replacing that kit and then reinstalling. Otherwise you can get corrosion, leaks, dry rot, etc. I have switch a number of sensors from factory wheels to aftermarket and it never been an issue.
Thanks, good to know, it was a learning process for me.

Buy some Rota Grid Classics from 18wheels.com . 16x8+20 offset. Another forum member and I have them. I have a 45" sidewall tire and he has 40. They fit well no rubs much poke.
Are you on stock suspension? Do you have any pictures of how this setup looks?