Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Someone is cooking popcorn on my roof......

THETTT86

Good afternoon all. I am new on here, so HELLO. I have used the search function all morning with no success on finding an answer to my problem even though there is mention of it multiple times. While I am driving(40-^), there is a pretty obvious popping noise coming from the roof/sunroof area. Wind direction has some pull with how often and how bad it is. The noise seems worse when the sunroof is in vent mode, but is there most of the time with windows up, down, sideways, etc. When the noise starts, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it stop unless I slow down(which isn't much of an option on I-95). I drive a 2016 FiST btw. The roof moldings seem intact and not loose. The windshield moldings are neither loose or torn. The only obvious sign of where the noise may be coming from is that when the sunroof is fully closed, there is some give, but when the noise is happening I can push up on the sunroof with no relief of the noise. This noise is driving me crazy[8]. Hopefully someone on here feels my pain. Thanks.

haste

1000 Post Club
Does it happen when its not raining? I have found the drains on the FiST very loud when driving in the rain with the sunroof tilted.

OP
THETTT86

THETTT86

Thread Starter #4
Does it happen when its not raining? I have found the drains on the FiST very loud when driving in the rain with the sunroof tilted.
It is not raining when it happens. The sound does seem like it's coming from the front of opening of the sunroof which is where the drains should be located. I'd have to take a look down in there and see if maybe they have debris in them. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My sunroof makes this "gurgling" noise as I call it. I have always assumed it was water in a drain. It's like the sound a straw makes sucking that last little bit. It can do it for some time after it rains if I haven't opened it up any.

DangerMouse

The sunroof cover panel shade thing on mine is garbage. I'm guessing it's just a fabric covered sheet of aluminum. I have to press up on the shade and it pops and gets rigid. The panel needs some bead rolls or something, rather annoying. I wonder how difficult it is to remove. I could probably shake the panel and make thunder sounds.

OP
THETTT86

THETTT86

Thread Starter #7
I've tried touching everything within my reach while driving to pin point it. I took a video of it with the sunroof in vent mode and it was about 20 minutes on the hwy around 75mph. You can hear it alot better with the sunroof open and when it rains or have dew on car in the morning so it may have something to do with the drains. I noticed it started doing it after my wife opened and closed rf window while we were driving and it was raining. And of course it will not let me upload the video. I'll figure it out lol. Thanks everyone for your input and I'll get that video up shortly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk