Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feeling defeated exhaust install

A note to folks that are taking off their exhaust. If the car is anything but brand new do not attempt to loosen the nuts. Its much easier to use a Dremel will a small cut off wheel to cut most of the way through the side of the nut and nock it with a chisel to split it. Or you could use a nut splitter (but i have not done this).
the studs are stainless so they should be in very good shape its the nut that causes all the trouble. I replaced my nuts with brass ones so i will never have an issue in the future. Please do not use stainless nuts as a replacement as its a lesson that you will quickly regret if you ever have to take them off.
Lol I had to take mine off this weekend with an impact wrench and a wobble because of the angle! That is an adventure when your face is only six inches from flying metal <_>

Buy a few extra as they tend to strip it to tight. I used a lock washer under them. Also good to use if you can find them are the copper exhaust nuts. The goal is to use somthing soft that will not rust.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #64
I'm thinking of adding a vibrant resonator to the cpe exhaust but I am not sure where it would fit, unless I remove the helmoltz resonator. Any suggestions?

It would be much cheaper than going with the thermal exhaust even though that's the direction I am headed.

I'm thinking of adding a vibrant resonator to the cpe exhaust but I am not sure where it would fit, unless I remove the helmoltz resonator. Any suggestions?

It would be much cheaper than going with the thermal exhaust even though that's the direction I am headed.
Don't remove the helmholtz. That's where all the magic happens. It's interesting though that I saw further up that someone had the cp-e res delete pipe and thought it was unbearable. I have it as well along with a catless dp and it doesn't drone all that much.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #66
Yea I won't be removing the helmoltz. But after tons of reading and video comparisons I think a vibrant resonator would accomplish what I need on cutting the drone, I just don't think it will fit anywhere on the cpe.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #74
I found a gun shop about an hour away that will cerakote the tip for me. Never heard of it until you mentioned it a few times, thought you would like to know.

I'm pretty excited, sad the cpe wasn't for me, hopefully I have better luck this time around.

I am off work until next Wednesday, fingers crossed I can get it all done before then, might run tip-less for a couple days. Luckily I have another vehicle so not a big deal.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I found a gun shop about an hour away that will cerakote the tip for me. Never heard of it until you mentioned it a few times, thought you would like to know.

I'm pretty excited, sad the cpe wasn't for me, hopefully I have better luck this time around.

I am off work until next Wednesday, fingers crossed I can get it all done before then, might run tip-less for a couple days. Luckily I have another vehicle so not a big deal.
COOL!

Are you going to go with the (satin) Glacier Black color?

Those Thermal tips should look WICKED in that color (as do my CP-E tips/tail pipe), and you will not have to be constantly polishing them, or worrying about the midwestern winter salt soup killing their finish either! [thumb]
(Yup, the salt/grit baths can get so bad that EVEN high quality, austenitic, 304 stainless can be 'stained' by it. [:(])

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #77
Thermal exhaust showed up! Ron @ whoosh doesn't mess around when it comes to orders, thank you sir.

Initial impressions, the quality is top notch. Welds are awesome, bends are perfect. It feels much heavier than the Cpe system, seems to be a thicker material, I'll take the added weight for a quieter system.

The tip is awful hahaha, personal opinion obviously, going to take it in to get the cerakote finish asap. The center brace is nice and solid, from the pics it was hard to tell, looked like it could be flimsy.

Overall I'm super excited still to get it on and I pray it's drone free as everyone says. I am undecided if I'll get it on before or after I get the tip back, could be a week or so.

If anyone local ish wants the cpe it will be for sale. I may ship it if needed, I'll make a post when it's off the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm surprised that the weight is more than the Nexus system, as I thought that was one of the heavier/thicker gauge tubing 3" systems on the market for our rides.
The Thermal system IS a 'work of art' though, and I like how the tip does not require a ball joint type connection, so that any other tip can be easily used/attached (turn down, single slash cut, etc.) with just a good stainless Torca, or band clamp. [thumb]

Eventually, WAY DOWN the line after all of the other 'necessary mods' are done, I too may switch to the Thermal from the Nexus, IF it is even still around at that future point in time.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #80
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Dropped the tip off for cerakote on friday, the day I got it. It was end of the day so they weren't going to get to it until Monday. Said it should be done this week but I won't be able to go get it until this Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to get the exhaust swapped on Tuesday. Trust me I'm ready, my brain hurts every time I have to drive on the highway.

At 65 it's perfect, no drone, sounds barely louder than stock. Problem is speed limit here is 70 and everyone does 80. At 75-80 the drone is unbearable, I have to be over 85 and at 90 it's back to a tolerable sound level. But....I can't do 90 the whole way on the highway, without risk of getting pulled over, not to mention traffic doesn't allow.

I did go a little different with the tip, than all satin black like I originally planned. I think it will look good and break up the darkness of rear bumper without being overly flashy.