Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member 95 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Sheboygan
    State
    WI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by scotman View Post
    Everything has a failure rate. Including O.E. the O.P. described the condition that he was trying to change. Those components are known to create a firmer pedal as part of their design. Their primary function is greater abraision and heat resistance.

I believe a different brake pad would be better answer. I had hawk 5.0 pads and they needed more pedal effort and didn't have that Instant grab.

Member 80 Rep Points Nightcrew13's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Rochester
    State
    NH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe a larger master cylinder is better...anyone have access to a focus or escape to compare?

New Member 8 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Atlanta
    State
    GA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely don't want a firmer brake pedal. What I would like is more progression and a better correlation between how hard you press, and how hard the car brakes. My ST is certainly not the "light switch" feel that some cars have, but it is far from the linear and progressive feel that my miata had (sold it). Brake pads may help, but I probably won't do anything immediately. It just rolled over 3K miles so it is still new.

Member 135 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Vienna
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, any of the performance street (e.g., Hawk 5.0, Carbotech 1521s), street/race pads, or something ceramic will probably be less grabby on the street. Our pads are really aggressive and designed to operate well in normal driving and some light track/autocross duty, so they grab right away, even in the cold. The more you get to a track oriented pad or something that is designed to be a compromise between street/track/low-dust, the less initial bite you will have at regular street temps, though it will have better performance as it heats up a bit before fading off at higher temps. Hawk has a chart somewhere that shows the curves for all of their pad compounds.

Personally, I found that my brakes were easier to modulate once I made them work a bit with a paced session on track. I think getting some heat into them takes away some of that grabby feeling you get at low speeds. See if you can find some open road to build some heat in them and see if that makes them a little easier to live with. They are good pads for what they are, so it'd be a shame to waste them.

Senior Member 656 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rpt50 View Post
    I definitely don't want a firmer brake pedal. What I would like is more progression and a better correlation between how hard you press, and how hard the car brakes. My ST is certainly not the "light switch" feel that some cars have, but it is far from the linear and progressive feel that my miata had (sold it). Brake pads may help, but I probably won't do anything immediately. It just rolled over 3K miles so it is still new.
    I just rolled over 6K miles, so it will be a while until I replace them, but I supposedly have the 'softer', less aggressive pads since I ordered the car with the all season tires, so I'm not sure if they last as long as (or longer than??) the more track capable pads that came on the summer tire equipped cars or not.

In any case, when it comes time, I will probably go with whatever the G-LOC equivalent is of the Carbotech AX6s for the fronts, and whatever the Bobcat/1521 equivalent is for the back. ;)
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 37 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Fiesta ST and Miata were engineered with different missions...

Quote Originally Posted by rpt50 View Post
    The Miata is a purpose made sports car. It has near perfect weight distribution. It was never intended to haul much cargo and or more than one passenger. I would have loved to been able to just do my mass correction, select the appropriate tires and go play. But, once again the omnipresent stability controls prevent me from installing a driver adjustble brake proportioning valve. I am almost certain this little wonder would trigger an immense and violent response from the SCS in any mode. The Fiesta has that practical car aspect baked pretty deeply into its DNA. The amount of adjustabilty one could have in an IT class road racing car is just a bit more than Fiesta will tolerate Inexpensively.

Senior Member 656 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scotman View Post
    But, once again the omnipresent stability controls prevent me from installing a driver adjustble brake proportioning valve. I am almost certain this little wonder would trigger an immense and violent response from the SCS in any mode.
    Thanks for bringing this up, as I never even considered that as a factor in negating the use of a bias valve on this platform.
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 37 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have never seen a discussion of an adjustable prop-valve on these forums. And thats ok. Because if people have even the most scant knowledge of the stability control system on Fiesta they can surmise that dicking with brake line pressures would affect system response. It would be my guess that engine power would be reduced to nil and every scs related mil light would be lit up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12