Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wrench Light

Hello everyone,

For a couple months now I've been having an intermittent wrench light come on and it will only come on when I drive around for a little bit or it just wont come on at all. When the wrench light is on though, my cruise control does not work..

Any ideas? ):

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
For the cruise control issue, I believe there are two sensors on the clutch petal and the one telling the computer your foot is off the clutch may be dislodged. You should be able to crawl in the footwell and look. There have been other threads here about it. Dunno if it would trigger the wrench though.

sml2727

The wrench means you need need a oil change, and once the oil change is done they will reset the light.

joesiris

yeah what sml2727 said...I had the light on too at one point and took to dealer they said oil change was needed, it wasn't since I got a change at 1500, then at 3000, and I was only at 5000...which means while I got 3 free oil changes in the first year that doesn't mean that they'd remember to reset the light. But that is kinda odd that you don't have cc

OP
K
Thread Starter #7
thank you all for the input, probably going to schedule an appointment at a dealership unfortunately.. ive yet to crawl in the footwell and inspect those two switches? I do not know where to look for the switches .__.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here is the procedure i use to clear the wrench. But since yours is intermittent (odd) this may do nothing

1. press and hold both brake and gas together
  2. tap the start button
  3. the wrench will blink a few times then disappear. once the wrench disappears, the check engine light begins to blink.
  4. wait until the check engine light stops blinking
  5. press the start button to shut things off
  6. now release the gas and brake
  7. start the car....wrench gone
Edit 2021: Flipped steps 1 and 2. Also, numbers 3 & 4 didn't happen for me this time.

Last edited:

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
slightly different to get it to work this time. I had to hold the brake and gas down BEFORE pushing the start button.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Here is the procedure i use to clear the wrench. But since yours is intermittent (odd) this may do nothing

1. tap the start button WITHOUT any pedals pressed
  2. press and hold both brake and gas together
  3. the wrench will blink a few time then disappear. once the wrench disappears, the check engine light begins to blink.
  4. wait until the check engine light stops blinking
  5. press the start button to shut things off
  6. now release the gas and brake
  7. start the car....wrench gone

Just had to do this on mine.. 9950 miles. Last oil change was at 5000 miles and before that was at 1600 miles when I got it. Weird mileage for it to turn on.. Is it just because the dealer never reset it at 1600 miles?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Just had to do this on mine.. 9950 miles. Last oil change was at 5000 miles and before that was at 1600 miles when I got it. Weird mileage for it to turn on.. Is it just because the dealer never reset it at 1600 miles?
It wouldn't have come on at 1600 miles. 9950 is what the algorithm determined was time.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The "Tap" part of #1 did not work on my car. Correct procedure is to hold it for 2 seconds not "tap".

From 2016 Manual.

OIL CHANGE INDICATOR RESET Resetting the Oil Life Monitoring System Only reset the oil life monitoring system after changing the engine oil and oil filter. 1. Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine. For vehicles with push-button start, press and hold the start button for two seconds without pressing the brake pedal. Do not start the engine. 2. Press the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time. 3. Keep the accelerator and brake pedals fully pressed. 4. After three seconds, a message confirming that the reset is in progress will be displayed. 5. After 25 seconds, a message confirming that the reset is complete will be displayed. 6. Release the accelerator and brake pedals. 7. The message confirming that the reset is complete will no longer be displayed. 8. Switch the ignition off. For vehicles with push-button start, press the start button to switch the ignition off.