Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need to know for e30 fuel

Hello all, I'm still new to the car modification world and what not, but I am thinking about switching over to the e30 fuel and tune from stratified. However before that I want to ask if there is anything I should do before hand or how to switch over to ensure I don't mess up the engine in anyway? Thank you.

I would say a drop-in filter and an intercooler. They aren't really necessary for the tune but would be beneficial for reliability and consistency.

Hello all, I'm still new to the car modification world and what not, but I am thinking about switching over to the e30 fuel and tune from stratified. However before that I want to ask if there is anything I should do before hand or how to switch over to ensure I don't mess up the engine in anyway? Thank you.
Dizzy has a pre-tune checklist:
https://www.dizzytuning.com/info.html

Razorlab gives away his e40 tune (with and without upgraded intercooler) on the other FiST site.

I want to say you need an ethanol content gauge. I honestly would be on edge just trying to guess what ethanol % my fuel is at.

I ran e30 tune on my FoST for 3 years without checking the content. It's not as scary as it sounds. I was apprehensive at first also.

The computer is far more intelligent than what most people make it out to be. The fuel trims will merge together. It can give an accurate measure of the ethanol content, and adjust accordingly. I did my math the first time freaking out that something bad might happen on my part. After that I just put in 9 gallons of 91 with 3.1 gallons of ethanol. No hiccups of any sort.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DaveG99

Ive never ran e30. Do people have to wait until their car is empty to refuel when running e30? That would suck

The computer is far more intelligent than what most people make it out to be. The fuel trims will merge together. It can give an accurate measure of the ethanol content, and adjust accordingly. I did my math the first time freaking out that something bad might happen on my part. After that I just put in 9 gallons of 91 with 3.1 gallons of ethanol. No hiccups of any sort.

At 12.1 gals, and assuming your e85 is actually e85 and your 91 is actually e10, 3.23 gals of e85 and the rest in 91 will get you to ~e30. You may want to adjust your ratio to allow for more head room, intelligence of the computer notwithstanding.

The pumps down the road after testing show a consistent 80% ethanol rating. The only adjustment that needs to be done on my part is adding more ethanol if it ever reads below 80%. Don't quote me on my numbers though, I punched them in quickly into Tapatalk.

Ive never ran e30. Do people have to wait until their car is empty to refuel when running e30? That would suck
It's not necessary but makes filling a little easier. If close to empty, you just put ~3.5 gals of e85 and the rest with premium and you'll be in the ballpark. If you have the accessport, it's got a fuel level monitor that's pretty accurate. You'll just have to do a little math.

The reason I went with a gauge is I didnt want to assume or be in the ballpark, instead I wanted to know exactly what % of ethanol was in the tank. While I understand the gauges are not that cheap, it certainly is cheaper than replacing your engine should the mix ever not be right.

codestp202

The reason I went with a gauge is I didnt want to assume or be in the ballpark, instead I wanted to know exactly what % of ethanol was in the tank. While I understand the gauges are not that cheap, it certainly is cheaper than replacing your engine should the mix ever not be right.
Your car will adjust and the tune has some room built into it for having the mixture off a bit.

However, as long as you're doing your calculations you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't heard of anyone having engine problems from not having the gauge setup.

Your car will adjust and the tune has some room built into it for having the mixture off a bit.

However, as long as you're doing your calculations you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't heard of anyone having engine problems from not having the gauge setup.
You are correct. To me the added peace of mind was worth it.

I bought the sensor and plumbing to throw together a home brew gauge. I’m thinking I might try to tap off the fuel sender signal wire too and then it can calculate the needed E85 amount at any time you need to top off.

A few notes, especially on the switching from 93 (or 91) to e30.

-Gauges are nice. Innovate makes a nice one. Keep in mind that you will need some extra fittings to make everything work. I believe the sensors have 3/8" fuel fittings and our cars have 5/16" (I haven't actually checked this, but the 2.0 eco is 5/16" and the 2.3s have a 3/8" so it would only make sense). This kit is also a good bet

http://www.fuel-it.biz/flex-fuel-sensor-with-bluetooth-analyzer/

The wiring should be a little easier on this and the Bluetooth function is awesome.

-If your not running a gauge I would at least check the ethanol content of the station youll be using. This kit is cheap and quick.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/ethanol-content-tester/

-When your switching fuels, remember that the fuel in your lines will still be 93/e10 until the mixed fuel gets into the lines. If you load the tune at the gas station, wait a little bit before you get on it. If you monitor your AP, look at STFT. Right when you switch it will be pretty far negative (I saw negative 15-20%) and it will slowly get closer to zero as the mix hits the motor. I would wait until its at least under -10%, ideally -5%.

-With hybrids and big turbos without AUX fuel, you can reach the limit of the fuel system. Before doing multiple pulls to redline, review a WOT log to make sure you aren't running lean. Stock turbo should not run into this issue, but still worthwhile to check logs before going hard on it.