Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Winter: 195/45/R17 + stock rims?

Just wondering how much my speedo will be out with 45. I currently have 40 on stock rims. I'm going to have to drive up north BC and since I sold my Yaris only have my Bronco as a second vehicle. Problem is the Bronco would cost me $400+ in gas to get there about 1300KM round trip or $140 in the Fiesta (less if I don't go with 91 gas). There wont be any snow but legally I have to have winter rated tires on that highway and with the Fiesta I'd stand out like a store thumb driving there with the current set up.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
https://tiresize.com/calculator/ has a nifty tire size comparison calculator. I plugged the numbers in and at most speeds you will be going about 1 mph faster than what the speedometer says

[table="width: 100"]
[tr]
[td]Speedo[/td]
[td]Real[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]20mph[/td]
[td]20.3mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]30mph[/td]
[td]30.5mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]40mph[/td]
[td]40.7mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]50mph[/td]
[td]50.9mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]60mph[/td]
[td]61mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]70mph[/td]
[td]71.2mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]80mph[/td]
[td]81.4mph[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]90mph[/td]
[td]91.5mph[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #4
WHO makes a winter tire in that size? [???:)]
No idea was just thinking of something thinner and taller vs the stock tire size. Prefer to have thinner than wider for snow. Wider and deflated might be ok for trucks but can't see it being good for a 2700lb car. Hell my Bronco has 35 and legally winter rated for my area and it still border line driving on slicks in snow and hair raising on slush.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Taller and narrower IS better for winter use, but Tire Rack at least does not have a SINGLE winter tire in that size.
(They also show not even ONE tire, of ANY type/use in 195/50-17.)

In fact they show ONLY a Yoko s.drive as a sole tire which they carry in that size.

That's not to say that a winter tire in that size does not exist from one of the many tire companies TR refuses to carry. ;)

Last edited:
Taller and wider IS better for winter use, but Tire Rack at least does not have a SINGLE winter tire in that size.
(They also show not even ONE tire, of ANY type/use in 195/50-17.)

In fact they show ONLY a Yoko s.drive as a sole tire which they carry in that size.

That's not to say that a winter tire in that size does not exist from one of the many tire companies TR refuses to carry. ;)
Why is wider better for winter? Wouldn't the wider contact patch help with lateral grip but sacrifice straight line stopping grip?

It was recently explained to me that a wider tire doesn't add area to the contact patch, it makes the patch wider and shorter front to back. I had always assumed a wider tire meant added rubber but I suppose it makes sense that the area of the contact patch would remain the same until you added weight to the vehicle.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Why is wider better for winter? Wouldn't the wider contact patch help with lateral grip but sacrifice straight line stopping grip?

It was recently explained to me that a wider tire doesn't add area to the contact patch, it makes the patch wider and shorter front to back. I had always assumed a wider tire meant added rubber but I suppose it makes sense that the area of the contact patch would remain the same until you added weight to the vehicle.
That was a TOTAL MISTYPE on MY part, SORRY!! [headslap] <-me
YES, taller and NARROWER is better for general winter use.

I am going to edit it in my post just to stop any misinformation. ;)