Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb exhaust vs. Thermal R&D exhaust

Cobb exhaust vs. Thermal R&D exhaust

• Cobb

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Thermal

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters
Has anyone actually heard both of these systems in person? That is who I would like to hear from. I have narrowed my selection to one of these two as well. I had a Cobb CBE on my BT Focus ST with catless DP and it annoyed the wife pretty bad. I am looking for nice tone and least amount of drone available.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Has anyone actually heard both of these systems in person? That is who I would like to hear from. I have narrowed my selection to one of these two as well. I had a Cobb CBE on my BT Focus ST with catless DP and it annoyed the wife pretty bad. I am looking for nice tone and least amount of drone available.
I have!
It's tough really
I sell both, I've even worked for cp-e
The Thermal system has a resonator and muffler
The cp-e is much more aggressive using 2 resonators (1 being a Hemholtz by the exhaust tip)
There is literally zero drone with the Thermal
The other stand out differences are the cp-e is slip fit joints where the Thermal uses sleeve clamps plus has a center mount for added clearance for the 3" pipe.

hope this helps either way...

I have!
It's tough really
The cp-e is much more aggressive using 2 resonators (1 being a Hemholtz by the exhaust tip)
The other stand out differences are the cp-e is slip fit joints where the Thermal uses sleeve clamps plus has a center mount for added clearance for the 3" pipe.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the input! I was referring to the Cobb CBE, however. Not the CPE CBE. ;)

DangerMouse

My thermal will be here Friday! I almost bought the cobb exhaust but I have seen some cases of the hangers breaking off the muffler. Doesn't seem to be a huge issue but it was enough to convince me to look elsewhere.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
You'll like the Thermal for its ZERO drone when at cruising speeds. But it will also give you a lovely sound when you get on it thats not too obnoxious. No rasp either. Has nice pops and burbles as well!

I have!
It's tough really

Ron speaks the truth about no drone!

Tomorrow I'll be installing the Thermal exhaust I got from Ron. Will check back in with initial impressions.
You won't regret it!

My thermal will be here Friday! I almost bought the cobb exhaust but I have seen some cases of the hangers breaking off the muffler. Doesn't seem to be a huge issue but it was enough to convince me to look elsewhere.
The Thermal is a quality piece of kit! I recommend the Powerflex exhaust hangers too!

Tomorrow I'll be installing the Thermal exhaust I got from Ron. Will check back in with initial impressions.
Well, I'm not done with the install but thought I'd update just in case anyone has any quick advice. The stock exhaust wasn't too hard to remove. But when I started installing the Thermal I realized that the downpipe bolts got mangled when I removed the stock system. Not impressed with these bolts. I'm going to head to the hardware store to find the tap and die for this size and repair the nuts and bolts before I continue the install. I know people have had problems with these bolts in the past. If anyone has a better solution than what I'm about to do, let me know, otherwise I'll attempt the repair as planned. This has turned into the most time consuming part of the install :( Obviously this has zero to do with the thermal exhaust. It looks nice and I'm really itching to get this this in.

The stripped nuts and bolts were a pain in the ass but once I straightened them out with the tap and die (10mm 1.50) everything was relatively easy. I couldn't find directions but figured it out. I had to loosen certain couplers to get the whole thing correctly in line but I think I got it. I didn't hear any clunking.

When I cranked it up I immediately noticed that there is a new tone and it is a little bit louder. Its got a nice loud character in the higher RPMs under WOT and, as Ron said, no drone when cruising.

This is my first aftermarket exhaust so all I have to compare it to is a spec miata I drove once and the fiestas at Octane Academy. The Thermal seems more OFF and ON. It doesn't do its thing until you give it some gas. One thing I am noticing is that when I push the throttle down, give it a second or two to spool and start making noise, and then quickly release throttle, I get a surge of drone from the exhaust. Is that a normal thing? It's a pretty loud surge and doesn't really get that loud any other time. It's still loud and noticeable with minor throttle lifts any time the turbo is going.

I've only put about 45 minutes on it but so far I like the loud WOT with this exhaust.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
The stripped nuts and bolts were a pain in the ass but once I straightened them out with the tap and die (10mm 1.50) everything was relatively easy. I couldn't find directions but figured it out. I had to loosen certain couplers to get the whole thing correctly in line but I think I got it. I didn't hear any clunking.

When I cranked it up I immediately noticed that there is a new tone and it is a little bit louder. Its got a nice loud character in the higher RPMs under WOT and, as Ron said, no drone when cruising.

This is my first aftermarket exhaust so all I have to compare it to is a spec miata I drove once and the fiestas at Octane Academy. The Thermal seems more OFF and ON. It doesn't do its thing until you give it some gas. One thing I am noticing is that when I push the throttle down, give it a second or two to spool and start making noise, and then quickly release throttle, I get a surge of drone from the exhaust. Is that a normal thing? It's a pretty loud surge and doesn't really get that loud any other time. It's still loud and noticeable with minor throttle lifts any time the turbo is going.

I've only put about 45 minutes on it but so far I like the loud WOT with this exhaust.
If you're talking about the loud resonance in the cabin with the exhaust when you give it a good amount of gas then quickly let off. Yes its normal. I love that sound tbh, I had my friend drive my car and from the outside it sounds great. But yes it is normal.

I think it has to do with Thermals idea of "sound reflection" or their Helmholtz chambers. It sends the exhaust note back against itself to cancel itself out. Which I think is that abrupt sound we are hearing when giving it gas and quickly letting off.

The guy at Thermal explains it better then I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iA_UtUWt4

If you're talking about the loud resonance in the cabin with the exhaust when you give it a good amount of gas then quickly let off. Yes its normal. I love that sound tbh, I had my friend drive my car and from the outside it sounds great. But yes it is normal.

I think it has to do with Thermals idea of "sound reflection" or their Helmholtz chambers. It sends the exhaust note back against itself to cancel itself out. Which I think is that abrupt sound we are hearing when giving it gas and quickly letting off.

The guy at Thermal explains it better then I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iA_UtUWt4
Great Video! Thanks! Love the part about the wife @ 5:55.

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I have not. I actually like the sound that the sound symposer funnels through to the cabin.

Zissou

I completely open minded to both. Originally wanted Cobb but recently discovered Thermal.
Do you / will you need a 3" exhaust?

If you're staying with the stock turbo go 2.5" like Cobb. Throwing this one out there for 2.5" - MAP's catback. Sounds freaking incredible, especially with the Cobb downpipe. I bought it after reading reviews and it was just a tad cheaper.
Looking at your signature (Duc) I'm guessing we like similar sounding exhausts. braaaaaapp

OP
TDavis

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Do you / will you need a 3" exhaust?

If you're staying with the stock turbo go 2.5" like Cobb. Throwing this one out there for 2.5" - MAP's catback. Sounds freaking incredible, especially with the Cobb downpipe. I bought it after reading reviews and it was just a tad cheaper.
Looking at your signature (Duc) I'm guessing we like similar sounding exhausts. braaaaaapp
Sorry I never saw your post.

I will go big turbo eventually so thats why I got the 3". Will be full 3" once I pair it with the Whoosh catted DP.

And yes, nothing beats the sound of the Duc :D