Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Dallas
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford to cut down on passenger cars

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

Member 42 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

I read the article. Its just a cold, calculated business decision. Everyone is so hot to trot for electrification. But you dont hear much discussion regarding exactly how the industry intends to recharge all these vehicles using an existing electrical grid that often comes perilously close to failure when any given region experiences a period of hot weather! When one steps back and ponders the impact of even a 20% increase in EV use. They can forsee many capacity issues. Range issues. Road tax revenue loss issues. And of course the end of life issue for the spent and accident damaged batteries in tens of thousands of EV's. There is no firmly established infrastructure for hybrid vehicle batteries.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Dallas
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

I have to say that I had to roll my eyes and chuckle at the idea of focusing on trucks and SUVs all the while trying to come up with a "more environmental friendly" car as well as driverless vehicles. I think that a better electric infrastructure is needed to be put in place that is more environmentaly friendly, otherwise we are not really changing much in the amount of pollution. I think the biggest hurdle is not only the distance you can go, but the amount of time it takes to charge a battery. 5-10 min at the gas pump vs. 30+ min.

Member 42 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

The recharge time is a big deal. Problem with rapid recharging is that it generates alot of heat. I have not looked into what has been done with the problem of rapid charging accellerating deterioration of batteries longevity. Its a hell of a conundrum.

Senior Member 695 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scotman View Post
    I read the article. Its just a cold, calculated business decision. Everyone is so hot to trot for electrification. But you dont hear much discussion regarding exactly how the industry intends to recharge all these vehicles using an existing electrical grid that often comes perilously close to failure when any given region experiences a period of hot weather! When one steps back and ponders the impact of even a 20% increase in EV use. They can forsee many capacity issues. Range issues. Road tax revenue loss issues. And of course the end of life issue for the spent and accident damaged batteries in tens of thousands of EV's. There is no firmly established infrastructure for hybrid vehicle batteries.
    Imagine the EXTRA added strain on the grid when they make electric trucks/large SUVs so that the masses can keep their 'tanks', and still drive more than 30 miles at a time.
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 42 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think electric buses and route delivery vans would be far less stressful to the grid as it now is. Buses and local delivery vehicles usually operate within a fairly small radius of their terminals. Its very predictable and contained

Member 342 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Grand Haven
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 Likes

It is sad to think my Fiesta ST may be the last Ford I own. I have no interest in an autonomous car and little interest in an electric, but wouldn't rule that out. Autonomous cars don't work when you need them to work. Sure, they work fine on a perfectly clear day with well marked roads, which is when driving is enjoyable. They don't work in the snow, slush, ice, freezing rain, or the wintery mix that is my world for many months. That is when I would be happy to have a computer take over. What few cars remain will be moved to electric, which already don't sell well and will be discontinued for lack of sales. If any do live, they will be autonomous. If I wanted an electric autonomous car, I would have bought a Tesla Model 3. I have no interest in buying one of those, it is 180 degrees from what I want in a car.

I know there are many smart people working on this, but how many people really want an autonomous car? I haven't found many that are comfortable with the idea, even if they don't like driving. For me, my time in the car is a wonderful escape from emails, text messages, and being online. It is the few minutes of the day that I am free to control something on my own, without technology telling me what to do. It is a connection between myself and a machine. Riding around with a computer at the controls while I check Facebook sounds horrible. If I wanted that life, I would ride a train or a bus. I want a car from a car company, not a mobility product from a mobility company. Whatever company continues to build actual cars will be the one that gets my next purchase.
    2015 Performance Blue Fiesta ST
    1984 Performance White Mustang

@BRGT350 Instagram, Twitter, YouTube

Member 42 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Ive been peripherally involved in several of the connective technologies on these cars. The big hurdle isnt technological, its legal and Regulatory. The key to autonomous vehicle viability is the sample rate of GPS. Whats needed is near military spec. What we now have is something less than what is allowed for commercial airliners. Dead reckoning wiith high accuracy is what is needed. Unfortunately that same accuracy is applied to guided missiles that allow them to be fired on a target fromm five hundred miles away and actually go through a window they were aimed at! The government is reluctant to share that with the civilian world. Shocking.

Member 342 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Grand Haven
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great insight, Scotman. The cars that I have been in with forms of auto-pilot use vision systems that don't work when the lines in the road aren't clear.
    2015 Performance Blue Fiesta ST
    1984 Performance White Mustang

@BRGT350 Instagram, Twitter, YouTube

Member 42 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Grass Lake
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGT350 View Post
    great insight, Scotman. The cars that I have been in with forms of auto-pilot use vision systems that don't work when the lines in the road aren't clear.
    Yeah. We are making some progress on that thanks to fuzzy logic and a couple terrabites of capacity. The camera and radar synchrony paint the landscape. The GPS gets speed, location, intervening objects, etc. The damn things are amazing. But, losing any one of them is kinda disruptive to the sitiuation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast