Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E-Town Raceway Park New Jersey Oct 29 Fast Ford Event

Tempting, I’m about 2 hours away. I wouldn’t run my car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Too far for me, BUT I do have a story about this place. So I am a pilot and I was flying a few friends home from Martha's Vineyard and Old Bridge airport had cheap gas and was at roughly the midpoint of the trip, so I had planned to stop there to refuel. I had never been there before, but after looking it up, it just seemed like a typical small airport with nothing particularly challenging except for some trees pretty close to one side of the runway. What I didn't know is that the airport is right next to the strip at E-Town (which I didn't know existed) and the runway is essentially parallel to it. You can probably see where this is going. Normally when going into a new field, I would overfly it first before entering the pattern, but since the radio was quiet, visibility was great, and my route of flight had me basically lined up with the runway, I just decided to approach it straight in. Big mistake. Before you know it, I was down to about 500 feet and things are not looking right. What is that tall thing at the end of the runway (the Christmas tree)? Why are there grandstands next to the runway? Are those...cars? Anyway, I went around and once I got some altitude, I could see the actual runway tucked up against the treeline about 1000 feet to the left of the strip. Landed safely and refueled, but let's just say my friends will never let me live that one down. And rightly so.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Are small, private, prop plane airports' runways typically longer than a quarter mile long?

In any case, yes, probably NOT a great idea to make the strip and runway PARALLEL to each other, especially when the correct one to land on is even partially obstructed from sight!!!
(I preferred Atco anyway, it being the 'faster' {launch pad prep/usual DA} of the local-ish tracks when I lived in North Joyzee, and wanted to see what my handling oriented LS1 Z28 could do in full handling trim. ;) )

^^^Are small, private, prop plane airports' runways typically longer than a quarter mile long?

In any case, yes, probably NOT a great idea to make the strip and runway PARALLEL to each other, especially when the correct one to land on is even partially obstructed from sight!!!
(I preferred Atco anyway, it being the 'faster' {launch pad prep/usual DA} of the local-ish tracks when I lived in North Joyzee, and wanted to see what my handling oriented LS1 Z28 could do in full handling trim. ;) )
Yep, "small private airport" runways are typically about half a mile long, though there is no standard length. "Executive" airports that cater more to private jets and turboprops may have runways over a mile long.