Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New member, prospective owner

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Have (and love) a fiat 500 Abarth, was originally torn between the Abarth and the ST - the ST was better on paper but the abarth made me giggle after every test drive, so I had to follow my heart (and I got an absurd deal, like 13k OTD new for a prior year model). Unfortunately, due to a dealership issue the car's being bought back by the manufacturer so I have the opportunity to shop again. I'm taking another look at all the cars I originally cross shopped, 500 Abarth, '86/BRZ, fiesta ST, focus ST, GTI.

I've always been an avid motorcyclist, and my search for a fun car stems from the fact I can no longer ride (medical reasons) so I wanted a car that scratched that same "itch". The Abarth was the only one that got it quite right, the proper personality and attitude (and sound!), and had sufficient headroom for me, and legroom for my wife (she's 6'1", all legs). I don't have issues with the power/performance aspect of any of the cars, I have more powerful options available in the garage should the need arise.

My automotive history: a few grand nationals, a few v8 fieros, 2 supercharged gen 4 maximas, several vw's and boring dailies.

My ideal ST would be non-recaro with Apple Carplay availability. I don't like the recaros, the top part hits me in the shoulder blades (I'm 6'3" and all torso, a build best described as "penguin like" or "like a refrigerator"). The abarth had the comfiest seats... but I have in the past made my own seat, so recaro or not isn't a huge swaying factor. I just about have a handle on the focus ST "packages" but the fiesta ones still elude me... I just want carplay, but don't care about leather recaros.

The only modding I'd likely do is an intake (I know it doesn't add performance, I absolutely admit I am almost childlike in my adoration of turbo car sounds), probably a GFB DV+ (has made a great day to day improvement everywhere I've used one). Maaaaybe an exhaust - somehow the abarth exhaust managed to sound great without being intrusive - I loved that exhaust, every other car I've found that sounded similar had drone issues which I am not keen on dealing with.

My comparo list
500 Abarth - Pro: character for days, amazing sound, always "fun" to drive. CHEAP tires. Cons: looks like a pregnant marshmallow. Awkwardly high seating. Have to deal with FCA dealerships.
Fiesta ST - Pro: little more oomph than the Abarth, but not hugely so, meaning one can explore the rev range daily without jail time. More nimble than most of my other options. Con: I don't find it that interesting, during my test drives I didn't get much sense of "character" when compared to the Abarth.
Focus ST - Pro: lots of power. More room Con: kinda big for what I want, it's not very motorcycle-y. Power getting into a range where you can't use it without getting a "certificate of appreciation" from the local constabulary.
Subaru WRX: Pro: great grip, awesome performance. Con: I live in Southern California, AWD isn't very necessary. WRX is "boring", like it's almost too good. I appreciate it, but it makes things kinda sterile.
VW GTI: I've owned VW's before, have been fine as long as I sell it by the time the warranty ends. Pro: crazy good deals right now (Thanks dieselgate!), available LSD. Cons: VW reliability. Very boring. Need to drive like an asshat to have fun with it.
Toyota 86/BRZ: I would already own one if it had maybe 220hp or so, or was 5-6 grand cheaper. I do not feel it is worth it's price. Pros: really fun to drive at legal speeds. Great "connected" feeling while driving. Cons: I felt like tuna in a can. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but it was uncomfortably annoyingly slow. Fine for a weekend car, but for the money I want another 20 or so hp (or torque, at least!).

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
There should be plenty of ST's around without the Recaros.
Yeah, thanks - I'm in a holding pattern on the purchase for a bit until I can drive a stick again so I'm researching everything prior to making a decision. The FiST seems to be the most fun without having to deal with FCA, so it's currently my front runner.

I started riding dirt bikes at age 11 and I turned 60 last week. I still have a couple of bikes (a very built Road King and a Ducati), but was looking for a small, light car that is very nimble would make a decent car for autocross fun and twisty roads, without tons of mods required. I looked closely at the Abarth but could not get past the potential reliability concerns. I bought my 2017 FiST in August and love it. They all have sync3 with Apple carplay and Android auto standard, so no worries there. I found what I wanted with no Recaros and no moonroof (it's weirdly set to the rear in the ST) and I love the car. The $3000 Ford rebate helped seal the deal. You never know about the sound--the OEM sound symposer might be all you need since you'll be sitting in it.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
So, purchased today! 2017 white with no Recaros. The recaros hurt, I’m too tall of torso so the “wings” hit me in the shoulder blades. Loving the car so far... though I miss the sound of my Abarth :p

So, purchased today! 2017 white with no Recaros. The recaros hurt, I’m too tall of torso so the “wings” hit me in the shoulder blades. Loving the car so far... though I miss the sound of my Abarth :p
Well congratulations. Based on your earlier posts, it's clear that this was a decision that you thought out carefully. Glad to hear that you got to a point where you were ready to buy your FiST. I also passed on Recaros on my 2017, and have not regretted it. Enjoy the car.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Congrats, I thought I wanted base model seats as well but realized they have no side bolstering on the bottom for keeping me from sliding all over the seat. lol I am looking for one with Smoke storm Recaros because of that. Almost pulled the trigger on a base Oramge Spice the other day but dealer would not go low enough. Hahhahaha

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Congrats, I thought I wanted base model seats as well but realized they have no side bolstering on the bottom for keeping me from sliding all over the seat. lol I am looking for one with Smoke storm Recaros because of that. Almost pulled the trigger on a base Oramge Spice the other day but dealer would not go low enough. Hahhahaha
Yeah, if anything I'll either move my sabelt from my other car or I can frame, glass, and upholster a custom seat myself. My wife was not going to tolerate sport seats, so why spend the money :p

I need need need an intake, I miss my Abarth's exhaust - I know the intake won't really do anything but I want my immature turbo sounds :D looking at Cobb and Injen right now.. the 2j intake appears too loud, trying to watch youtube vids to see whether cobb or injen gives the best juvenile spooly sounds.

I don't think I'll bother with exhaust any time soon, I don't see that anyone's going to be able to replicate the snarly gurgly sound of the Abarth with anything that isn't a 1.4 multiair engine.

I'm going to try to get tinted next week, I think the white'll look good with some dark tint, and I'm so pale I burn thru the stock UV protection in any car I've driven.

Would you mind sharing your deal? I'm in LA and want one that's configured the same as yours. Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, if anything I'll either move my sabelt from my other car or I can frame, glass, and upholster a custom seat myself.
Is that Sabelt you have a one piece fiberglass/carbon/whatever shell, or tube frame one piece, or is it the one recliner they made?

I remember seeing the first Sabelt seats imported into the country in Driving Impression's showroom in Dover, N.J.

I also opted for the base seats, knowing that I ultimately wanted some all alcantara Status Spa recliners in this car at some point in the future. [wink]
(I also do not trust Recaro's longevity/durability, going by my experiences with their aftermarket seats, but maybe their OEM supplied shit is better, [dunno])

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I used USAA car buying service (they’re my insurance provider). I skipped the 3k rebate in favor of 0% financing (terms say can’t do both). USAA car buying service via ford is invoice less 2.5%.

Last edited:
OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Fiberglass, came with a project car I bought a few years ago and it’s one of the few seats I’ve been comfortable in. Most well bolstered seats hit me right in the shoulder blades with their a”wings” since I have a long torso. Used to be installed in my v8 fiero project