Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mixing Bridgestone's with Firestone's?

Hi guys,

I need to replace my front OEM bridgstone re050a which are down to 3/32”. I would prefer to try the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s since they are newer and a lot cheaper. However, my rear Re050’s are still about 7/32” and prefer not to replace until they have worn down further.

I primarily just commute in my FiST with some aggressive cornering. Any issues? Also, which ones should I have on the front that would least upset the cornering balance?

Thanks

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Should be fine.

Hi guys,

I need to replace my front OEM bridgstone re050a which are down to 3/32”. I would prefer to try the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s since they are newer and a lot cheaper. However, my rear Re050’s are still about 7/32” and prefer not to replace until they have worn down further.

I primarily just commute in my FiST with some aggressive cornering. Any issues? Also, which ones should I have on the front that would least upset the cornering balance?

Thanks

That would be fine. You may consider getting 4 of them if you come across a coupon or sale for buying 4. Then you can put the other two on when the RE05As wear down. I would put the new tires on the rear. That way the stock tires will wear faster and you can get rid of them sooner and put the Firestones on all 4 corners. Also, having better tires on the rear is probably safer as you'll tend to understeer if you get into trouble. Safer than oversteer.

LOL idk about understeer being safer than oversteer... It should be a requirement that everyone should have to autocross your car or learn the dynamics of understeer and oversteer and how to correct either one. The scariest moments of driving for me have been understeer followed by panic before I knew how to correct it.

But yes you want to put the "better/more tread wear" tires on the rear but thats hard to do usually in a FWD car - basically youd never rotate the tires.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
That would be fine. You may consider getting 4 of them if you come across a coupon or sale for buying 4. Then you can put the other two on when the RE05As wear down. I would put the new tires on the rear. That way the stock tires will wear faster and you can get rid of them sooner and put the Firestones on all 4 corners. Also, having better tires on the rear is probably safer as you'll tend to understeer if you get into trouble. Safer than oversteer.
+1

I don't think the under/over steer will be a big issue unless you are really aggressive or perhaps driving in bad weather, but I would also think that you would tone it down anyway at this point since the tread is so low at least until you get all 4 new tires on. This will also keep the wear low on your new Indy's.

You can still rotate front left to front right and rear left to rear right if needed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club
For the street they will be fine. Tracking the car would maybe a different story