Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The new Whoosh Catless DP

Trader history for codestp202 (0)

codestp202

Hi everyone, I have been running the new tester DP for Ron for a couple of weeks. I wanted to document my thoughts, and show some pics / videos.

First off, this is a 3" Catless DP that tapers down to 2.5". It has a bracket to attach to your stock DP support, as well as an Extra bung if you want to run a wideband.

My thoughts on the DP:
Fit and finish: The welds are good enough for the price point and the overal fit and finish of the DP is good. The DP support is very nice as it gives me peace of mind that less stress will be put on the turbo mounting bolts.

Installation: The DP installed very easily. I found no issues with the fitment. The stock turbo metal gasket went on nicely, and the two open turbo attachments made it easy to install. You can start the 2 bottom accessible bolts, slide on the DP, then install the last bolt from the top near that is not slotted to slide on. The o2 sensor screwed in nicely with no issues. The exhaust side comes with a metal oring of sorts, as well as a exhaust gasket. Ron and I went back and forth thinking about which way to install the Oring. If you look at the photos, you will see one side is flat, one side is tapered. I chose to install the tapered side facing the DP, and the flat side facing the catback. My reasoning: it will mushroom the tapered side a bit into the DP and create a strong seal. If you install the tapered side out, it would press into the exhaust gasket strangely. I have had NO issues with exhaust leaks.

Sound: The sound is pretty amazing. I am currently running a Cobb Cat back. Before, you couldn't hear the turbo spooling and the exhaust note was a bit artificial. With the new DB, it is much throatier, and you get an awesome turbo spooling sound from inside the cabin and on the outside. Videos are below.

Power: I am currently running an e30 tune from Stratified. I have received my first base tune and am in the process of datalog revisions. But from my butt dyno, the power is much stronger on the top end, it doesn't fall on it's face as much over 4500 RPM's. I will update as I get my final tune revised. I am pushing over 25 PSI right now and will most likely make around 26 PSI.

Photos of the DB and install:

Metal Oring with tapered side facing in (how I installed)

Met Oring with tapered side facing catback (I did not install this way)

The DP bracket from below

With the mount loosely installed to the car, I took a bolt and ran it through as it doesn't perfectly line up, it will be at a slight angle. Once you have it ran through the hole on the DP bracket, you can tighten down the bolt/nut going through the DP's bracket, then tighten down the bolts on the car's DP bracket. This will all snugly tighten down and the DP will be perfectly supported.

Note: the new bolts will be a bit longer. You may be able to use the stock Metal long Orings that are on the dp adapter, but I didn't.

Videos:

Before:
[video=youtube;C4LzkQoVME0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4LzkQoVME0&ab_channel=codys[/video]

After:
[video=youtube;HZuv3tH3ZUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZuv3tH3ZUc&ab_channel=codys[/video]

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

Last edited:
OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #3
any unpleasant gas smells? or is that par for the course?
The smell is what comes with the territory of having a catless DP. It personally doesn't bother me and my passengers haven't noticed while they are in the car. If you're idling in the same spot, you can set your HVAC to recirculate the air instead of pulling air from outside. And if your windows are down you might get a little smell but it isn't bad. I definitely notice it if I pull into my apartment garage and leave the car running for a bit then get out and walk passed the car.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but this is far from quality welds. Craters on the stopping spots, welding undercuts on the flanges, hanger rods and holding bracket, uneven beading, not enough filler on the hanger rods to dp weldings. If I welded like that on the job, it would not pass inspection. I understand that it's a cheap option and I respect that and in the end all those defects might not cause any reliability problems, but in no way that can be called good welding and I'm tired that people who don't know TIG welding are mistaken to believe it is when they see shiny colorful welds and automatically think it's good quality. Totally on par with chinese manufacturing, but not on par with more strict standard (food grade or medical grade welding).

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I don't want to rain on the parade, but this is far from quality welds. Craters on the stopping spots, welding undercuts on the flanges, hanger rods and holding bracket, uneven beading, not enough filler on the hanger rods to dp weldings. If I welded like that on the job, it would not pass inspection. I understand that it's a cheap option and I respect that and in the end all those defects might not cause any reliability problems, but in no way that can be called good welding and I'm tired that people who don't know TIG welding are mistaken to believe it is when they see shiny colorful welds and automatically think it's good quality. Totally on par with chinese manufacturing, but not on par with more strict standard (food grade or medical grade welding).
as always, my section welcomes all feedback Alkoran

I won't make claims that this downpipe is the best ever to hit the market or make any mention that it is something that it is not.
whoosh motorsports already has a premium downpipe product, made in the USA cp-e (Custom Performance Engineering)
we also have another great offering that is slightly less in cost, also made in the USA by ATP. Both of these products would surely pass your quality guidelines mentioned above.

Our budget friendly downpipe found in this thread is in fact China manufactured. No different than the likes of Depo, PLM, and others that are very popular. My goal here is to have premium options such as cp-e, middle of the road: ATP, and budget friendly options like the whoosh brand DP available to my customers.

as always, my section welcomes all feedback Alkoran

I won't make claims that this downpipe is the best ever to hit the market or make any mention that it is something that it is not.
whoosh motorsports already has a premium downpipe product, made in the USA cp-e (Custom Performance Engineering)
we also have another great offering that is slightly less in cost, also made in the USA by ATP. Both of these products would surely pass your quality guidelines mentioned above.

Our budget friendly downpipe found in this thread is in fact China manufactured. No different than the likes of Depo, PLM, and others that are very popular. My goal here is to have premium options such as cp-e, middle of the road: ATP, and budget friendly options like the whoosh brand DP available to my customers.

My intervention was not meant to disrespect your product in any mean and I'm sorry if it seemed like that (my english is far from perfect, I'm a french Canadian ;) ) . Like I said, I completely understand that it's an inexpensive option and I would not expect a product of that price range to have welds of the highest standard. I was just correcting the fact that I see too many times online: that people who don't have expertise in TIG welding simply doesn't know how to judge welding quality and as soon as they see TIG, they assume it's the highest quality. The OP stated that the welds are quality, when they are not. Will they do the job and not crack? Probably. But I just wanted to clarify the nuance.

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #12
My intervention was not meant to disrespect your product in any mean and I'm sorry if it seemed like that (my english is far from perfect, I'm a french Canadian ;) ) . Like I said, I completely understand that it's an inexpensive option and I would not expect a product of that price range to have welds of the highest standard. I was just correcting the fact that I see too many times online: that people who don't have expertise in TIG welding simply doesn't know how to judge welding quality and as soon as they see TIG, they assume it's the highest quality. The OP stated that the welds are quality, when they are not. Will they do the job and not crack? Probably. But I just wanted to clarify the nuance.
Sorry, but I simply meant for the price point. If I made it seem like they are Formula 1 level exhaust welds, I apologize... I've updated the post to clarify, but never did I say it is of the highest quality.

I've purchased quite a few aftermarket exhaust systems for cars and motorcycles, and for a chinese made DP, the welding is on par with some systems that cost more.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Did you need to use washer or hi-temp silicone to "seal" the o2 sensor plugs? i.e so that don't vibrate loose or create a leak.